AirEvac Program Director?

OKparamurse

Murse 'n medic
10-year medic here, almost a year now as an RN. To make a long story short: If there's anything I've realized in this time, it's that I don't want to be at the bedside for more than another five or so years. I've got two associates degrees now and I'm strongly considering going back to my alma mater for my bachelor's in public safety administration.

Has anyone here had experience transitioning to a non-patient care director role? Specifically looking at a program director role at an AirEvac base as it's the most attainable non-patient care administrative job in my state that wouldn't be a terrible pay cut. Any advice or comments are greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
OP
OP
OKparamurse

OKparamurse

Murse 'n medic
What HAA/HEMS experience do you have?
No flight experience personally. 2 years as a shift supervisor at a relatively busy 911 ground service before starting work as an RN, though. Honestly, the 2 guys I know that are AirEvac PD's were both ground medics with supervisory experience, but had no flight experience, though admittedly I'm sure it would help.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Did they say that air experience is required? If the role is operational rather than clinical, it might not be necessary.

FiremanMike

Just a dude
It’s been several years since I’ve worked at AEL but here’s my thoughts

1. The PD’s back then dealt with admin of the base but their primary job was ”networking” and ”selling” our service to local hospitals, dropping by local FD’s with doughnuts, arranging PR events, etc.. It was basically their job to lay the groundwork to generate future flights. At the time, there were a handful of PDs around the company that would do a flight shift every week or every pay period, but I’m nearly certain that was by their own choice..

2. WARNING RUMOR ALERT - I have heard from some of my old contacts that since being bought out by their new parent company, its really not a fun place to work anymore, very bottom line focused..