Agility testing as part of pre employement testing

mc400

Forum Crew Member
I work for a fire District so yes we require a cpat and yearly physical plus our own Fit to fight test. I think it should be required, we have some big ole boys on private ambo's around here that cant even pick things up off the floor.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I work for a fire District so yes we require a cpat and yearly physical plus our own Fit to fight test. I think it should be required, we have some big ole boys on private ambo's around here that cant even pick things up off the floor.

If every single one of your firefighters...every single one...is doing an annual CPAT (the trademarked one) and passing, then you must have the fittest fire department in America.

traumahawk

Forum Ride Along
In New Jersey EMTs r said to have to lift 125 pounds on their own that's it. Now I'm not the strongest person in the world but its sad when ur other Bus with two grown men have to call rescue FD to lift a man that's about 280 from the floor to his chair. ( The PT RMA d). When I was in EMT school ppl in the class could not hold their own and still passed. Thank god for a stair chair with tracks lol

tcripp

Forum Probie
Williamson County doesn't have an agility test, I know Austin does. Does Fayette?

I'm stand corrected. Williamson County does not. When I sat through a recruiting talk, I could have sworn I heard the recruiter say, "We have one, just not as intense as A/TC."

Um...yes, Fayette does. That's the service I hired in with. We also have annual physical agility tests that are the same as the original hiring process.

tcripp

Forum Probie
This sounds fun! I think I'll suggest it as a demonstration of how pitiful some of our people are. This is completely the layout of a labor-intensive call.

Oddly enough, it is fun. The only issue I have is that we like to do it in January. :glare:

OP
OP
F

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm stand corrected. Williamson County does not. When I sat through a recruiting talk, I could have sworn I heard the recruiter say, "We have one, just not as intense as A/TC."

Um...yes, Fayette does. That's the service I hired in with. We also have annual physical agility tests that are the same as the original hiring process.

I am a recruiter for Williamson County EMS, and I hope to have you come test with us during our next process! What made you go to Fayette instead of a Wilco, or Austin? I like Fayette it is a good system, just wondering.

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
It is funny but Police have agility tests but no (at least in New York State) in service agility tests....or consequences for people out of shape.

In EMS, if you cant lift, it is evident and you would lose your job...

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
Why the fail during their testing process? How hard is it to get on with those Dept.s

I believe I was likely passed over due to lack of experience (I had none at the time). The physical test is moderately difficult, you really just have to keep up a good pace, as the entire thing is timed.

The second phase of their testing involves a written test, a simulation, and an interview. I may be reapplying with them next fall if i'm not otherwise occupied at the time, and since i'll already be a cleared county EMT by then, chances are i'll get hired.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
It is funny but Police have agility tests but no (at least in New York State) in service agility tests....or consequences for people out of shape.

In EMS, if you cant lift, it is evident and you would lose your job...

Not if you're female, or have any other reason to be in a protected class.

If you're female, by all means, welcome to the profession, but you had better be able to do your job. I'm still paying the price of back pain from my partner failing during a lift 2 weeks ago.

Where's she? On the schedule for the rest of the month. Rock on.

Level1pedstech

Forum Captain
If every single one of your firefighters...every single one...is doing an annual CPAT (the trademarked one) and passing, then you must have the fittest fire department in America.

The CPAT (the trademarked one) is a watered down version of the old biddle and meant to show that a candidate meets the MINIMUM requirements for admission into most fire academies. This test was developed to help those less desirable move on in the testing process allowing agencies to produce numbers that reflect diversity and show a more even playing field. The thinking is that all should have a chance and lowering the standards allows everyone a shot even those that were in the past considered unqualified.

I would say that a department or agency that has crews that take and pass the CPAT yearly would rank a 7 or less on a scale of 1-10. The test is really not meant to be the best judge of a candidates endurance or physical agility but a way to wed out the weakest of the candidates prior to an offer of employment. Believe it or not there are many candidates that cant even finish the test and the ones that squeak by will often wash out in the academy.

I do believe all agencies should have some sort of physical testing and it should be geared towards what your regular duties require of you. Most private service EMT's don't need to show a level of endurance that is required of fire academy recruit. Being able to show that you can take care of yourself and your partner and your patient should be the minimum. Showing some basic level of cardio endurance,a good range of motion and the ability to lift your share of load is a good place to start.

If your overweight and out of shape your a risk and a liability and should not be expecting to work in this field especially when there are many more qualified applicants including those that put in the time and effort to stay in decent shape. With the job market as tight as it is every applicant needs to have every base covered and being fat and sloppy is only going to hurt you.

Level1pedstech

Forum Captain
MEDIC in Charlotte has a PAT. There's a video here: http://www.medic911.com/careers/medpat_careers

This should be the minimum requirement for every agency when it comes to the PAT. Its not hard by any stretch of the imagination but with a time limit and the need to keep moving its a good demonstration of a candidates basic physical ability. If I were an employer I would feel comfortable knowing my people were fit to do their jobs and would have less injuries and downtime because of it. A little more demonstration of a candidates above average cardio ability like an extended stair climb event would be nice but its a great start. My only question is how many out there working right now would be able to pass that test?

Aerin-Sol

Forum Captain
If your overweight and out of shape your a risk and a liability and should not be expecting to work in this field especially when there are many more qualified applicants including those that put in the time and effort to stay in decent shape. With the job market as tight as it is every applicant needs to have every base covered and being fat and sloppy is only going to hurt you.

Maybe that's true for public/FF services, and you can argue that fat people look sloppy/unprofessional, but as a private IFT EMT, I'd much rather work with a 300-pound guy than a guy who is 160 and in good shape. Why?

1. A 300-lb guy is most likely going to be able to lift more weight, and
2. Smaller guys that I've worked with have been *vehemently* opposed to calling for lift assist, no matter what.

My service's test is a simple lifting, loading the ambulance, and chest compressions test, and I think that's all that's needed for privates.

Asimurk

Forum Captain
Maybe that's true for public/FF services, and you can argue that fat people look sloppy/unprofessional, but as a private IFT EMT, I'd much rather work with a 300-pound guy than a guy who is 160 and in good shape. Why?

1. A 300-lb guy is most likely going to be able to lift more weight, and
2. Smaller guys that I've worked with have been *vehemently* opposed to calling for lift assist, no matter what.

My service's test is a simple lifting, loading the ambulance, and chest compressions test, and I think that's all that's needed for privates.

Thanks for the boost! ^_^