Age when you joined EMS

katgrl2003

Forum Asst. Chief
21 when I finished EMT class 2 years ago, currently applying to medic school.

Tiberius

Forum Crew Member
I was 25 when I took my original EMT class.....I just turned 37 and I'm planning on starting medic school this coming March.

ErinCooley

Forum Lieutenant
So paramedic school is 1 yr in the USA i gather. Here in Canada it's 2 yrs one for a paramedic program.

Depends on the program... the one I've been eyeballing at a tech college is about 18 months for EMT-I to Paramedic, but I've found a private class w/ highly recommended instructores that is 2-8 hour days per week for 11 months. 1 of the instructors for teh program that I'm attending is from the tech school... her students are the best medics that I know.

CFRBryan347768

Forum Captain
14, been around for 4 years riding for 2.

JonTullos

Forum Captain
Depending on when I join and finish the basic class, I will either be 27 or 28. Depends on if I go in January or May.

emtannie

Forum Ride Along
I was 30 when I started, and like others, I wish I had gotten into EMS sooner... I have been in for 12 years.

My mom says I started when I was 4 though. We lived in a rural area, and a lady rolled her car just across the road from our farm... I saw it happen, ran in and told my mom, who ran out to see if she could do anything (she is a retired ER nurse)... she couldn't reach the driver, so she had me crawl in and she gave me instructions on what to do. Now I look back at that and think of all the scene safety issues and all of the things that could have gone wrong....

dcap-btls

Forum Ride Along
It was 18 for me but now I have to go back to school for a re-cert mine expired while in the military

gcfd_rez31

Forum Probie
  • started riding at 15 (sophomore in high school)
  • steady riding almost everyday for 1 1/2 years
  • slowed down a little bit - has been 2 years riding
  • getting EMT in 1 year (after turning 18)

B)

AMPEMT85

Forum Probie
It was 18 for me but now I have to go back to school for a re-cert mine expired while in the military

I love your username! In class, the instructor says "I've seen that in an outhouse, for a good time call...":p

I got my license/cert when I was 21 and I'm 23 now. My fiance got his when he was 19, he'll be 25 in January.

TheMowingMonk

Forum Lieutenant
Finished my EMT-B when I was 18, been working as an EMT since, 21 now, hopefully medic school starting next fall.

EMTCop86

Forum Captain
Well I joined the fire explorer program at 15 and will be entering my EMT-B class at 22 and when I finish I will be 23

jochi1543

Forum Captain
23. I don't think I'll be in it for too long, hopefully I'll get into medical school this year or the next - I'd like to keep working in EMS through med school, tho, a buddy of mine did that and graduated without a dime in loans. He was a CCP, tho, and his tuition was like 3 grand a year, so that helped.

MedicPatrick

Forum Ride Along
I'm not quite sure...it depends on how you define "joined EMS".

Started doing observational ride-alongs at 15.

Started and finished Basic class at 18.

Started working as a Basic at 19.

Last edited by a moderator:

rchristi

Forum Crew Member
First Responder with a Volunteer FF at 35.
Away from it for a long hiatus.
EMT Basic in an industrial setting at 55.
I was surprised how little difference there was in the two courses, and how quickly things came back to me.

41 Duck

Forum Lieutenant
FF at 18-20

...Hiatus...

EMS at 34. Volly.
Entered paramedic school at 37.

Later!

--Coop

xfirehouse39x

Forum Ride Along
I grew up in the fire department. I was 14 when I joined. I am now 18 and work as an EMT. I am currently in Paramedic school.

Emtint08

Forum Crew Member
Age..

Lord...I feel old. I am about to turn 43. Still feeling good. Fell in love with emt school two years ago and have been sowing my wild oats ever since. I am now in Intermediate school (x2) and am doing well. Loving every minute of it. I am going for the paramedic-RN program and its tough with two teenagers and a classroom full of youngsters. I think I am the second oldest in my class. Doesnt really bother me, though. The older you are, the more you appreciate the education you get. At least for me that is. Although I have to move faster than I am now. Right now I am a tech in an ER and looking to volunteer on a unit in my area eventually. B)

NRNCEMT

Forum Crew Member
Took my EMT class --> Jan 07 - May 07.

Got my cert in late June, got on with a squad in July 07.

Have been working for over year so far as a Basic.

Started class when I was 21, turned 22 in class, am now 23.

wxduff

Forum Crew Member
I'm still in my EMT Class, at 18.

I've been ARC CPR and First Aid since I was about 14 though.