AEMT And EMT-I

Fire51

Forum Lieutenant
Hey guys can a AEMT work as a EMT-I, the only difference that I could find was AEMTs can't give Benadryl ( for some dumb reason) but they can if the companies protocols says to right? The class that I just toke was EMT-I but since NR is switching to AEMT we were the first to graduate as AEMTs. The only problem is most companies are still going EMT-I right now. So what do you guys think, will they allow AEMTs to work for there company still? Also what do you think about them changing over to AEMT, is it a good thing, bad thing, or will it not really affect anything. I would like hear anything people have to say as their opinion or to help me out, thanks.

Medic496

Show strength when weak, and humility when strong
National Scope of Practice Model

All EMT-I's will become AEMT's. Moving forward for EMS nationwide the levels are EMR, EMT, AEMT, Paramedic, Tactical Paramedic (CA), Critical Care Paramedic, Flight Paramedic Community Paramedic. Your future looks bright with opportunity to grow.

rwik123

Forum Asst. Chief
In my personal experience the state has granted an EMT-I cert for someone holding a national registry AEMT

Wes

Forum Lieutenant
It all depends on the state's certification levels. The EMS Agenda for the Future (the educational standards) and NREMT testing are based on four levels -- EMR (Emergency Medical Responder), EMT, AEMT (Advanced EMT), and Paramedic.

emt11

Forum Lieutenant
Yes, before my company "officially" recognized the AEMT, I was hired as an AEMT, but I worked under the EMT-I'85 scope. Now that they recognize it, I work under the AEMT scope.

OP
OP
F

Fire51

Forum Lieutenant
It sounds stupid that they are switching to AEMT then, IF some people are just given EMT-I certs anyway. Why do you have to do bridge programs, I didn't see much difference between the two. All I saw really was not being able to give Benadryl like I said before.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
They're interchangeable.

NR doesn't set the scope of practice the state/county OEMS and the agencies protocols do.

FWIW our I's cannot give Benedryl.

I/85s can intubate AEMTs cannot. That's about all I can think of off the top of my head.

I learned ACLS meds in my I class, the AEMT class I help teach on lab nights does not learn anything about them.

Last edited by a moderator: