AED wanted for church

joeboo

Forum Probie
We are looking to buy and AED for my church. We need the best price possible. used is fine.

Thank y'all

911fixer

Forum Probie
aed

If you google free AED there is a company that will give a pretty significant discount coupon and discounted prices for a few different AEDs of ur choice. I would try giving them a shot. Just read the fine print...i was going to use them for my search and rescue team but never went thru w them because someone on my team has one we can use. Let me know how it pans out if u use them.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Don't buy a used one from someone. Talk to a dealer first. It isn't like buying a glucometer or a car. There are responsibilities which vary form place to place. It may not even be legal, the whole "with physician's order" thing?
I hear Tom Cruise has a second hand ultrasound machine....

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I'd steer clear of the "grant" offers. I put the word in quotes because it has been my experience that you fill out a lot of paperwork and are offered an AED at a higher cost than it would cost you to buy one from a reputable dealer.

It only takes 60 people donating $20 to cover the cost of an AED. I've ordered from aedsuperstore.com and found them to be responsive to my needs.

As a word of caution, medical equipment is highly regulated. If you're buying the device for your church you'll need a prescription. You'll also want to make sure the device was properly maintained and is fully functional.

Good luck!

Household6

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
Take up a special collection for it, get one direct from the company so you can get it put under a maintenance contract and warranty.

Batteries have a fairly short shelf life, and they have to be replaced at least once a year. If you're under a direct contract with the manufacturer, they will keep track of your AED, and automatically send you batteries in the mail...

If there's any recalls, they'll notify you.

mycrofft

Batteries replaced annually? Our were never that short-lived. I understand among the "cheapest" ones that may be the case, so look into the cost of batteries. ALso I read somewhere that some don't have user-replaceable batteries.

Achilles

Forum Moron
You don't replace batteries annually, you replace them when the AED battery is low. Could be every three months, could be every other year.

mycrofft

AED electrodes come with an expiration date on the package, which is voided the minute you tear open the seal.

If I had an AED sealed into a case (to fend off curious lookie-lous) I'd check the battery and electrodes annually for outdates in the coming year and replace them as needed. I would check the battery level indicator daily or as often as I walked by and remembered, ditto the seal. ANd make sure to have an accessory kit inside (spare electrodes, razor, CPR shield, cloth or paper wipe, shears, maybe alcohol wipes NOT hand sanitizer).

Household6

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
You don't replace batteries annually, you replace them when the AED battery is low. Could be every three months, could be every other year.

The issue that comes up in a place like a church, is that no one is in charge.. Or everyone in in charge.. Like our smaller church, the first AED purchase was made by the Deacon board, it came in the mail to the church secretary, who then gave it to the (special needs) maintenance guy to put on the wall. So it sat on the wall for maybe 4 months until I asked one of the Deacons about it.

Where'd it come from? Who knows how to use it? Are there ped sized pads? A razor? Who checks the battery? Who rotates the pads? Nobody knew. They just wanted an AED on the wall..

If someone is knowledgeable and available to make a PM schedule, and they'll actually DO IT, that's fabulous good great grand.. But in a smaller organization where no one really knows a whole lot about the routine, it's appropriate to go through the manufacturers for a PM contract..

Now our church gets new batteries every year for the second AED, we send the old ones back in the same box. I'd assume the manufacturer either tests them, puts them back in rotation, or properly recycles them. It's a leased piece of equipment instead of purchased.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader

Our batteries expire, though not as often as the pads. There is also a nine volt battery that needed to be replaced yearly to allow the AED to self test.

So yes, some AEDs need that maintenance. We have Lifepak CRPlus and CR1000s which are among the most popular public access AEDs around.

Household6

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
Our batteries expire, though not as often as the pads. There is also a nine volt battery that needed to be replaced yearly to allow the AED to self test.

So yes, some AEDs need that maintenance. We have Lifepak CRPlus and CR1000s which are among the most popular public access AEDs around.

Yea, some have a nine volt for testing, others use the actual AED battery and it self tests. If they use the AED battery, obviously the battery wears out faster.. Some have audible low battery alarms, some don't..

I'm sure I sound like an elitist EMR professional, but I don't trust the church's maintenance staff to properly test and maintain the AEDs we have on premises. It's not like a smoke alarm, it's medical equipment. We have a company under contract to take care of the fire extinguishers, it just makes sense to have the medical equipment under contract as well..

And our state laws on AEDs for public use don't exist--yet.. In MN there's no training requirements, no physician oversight needed, no registration requirements. I think that's a pile of bologna..

Churches need to shoot for that three minute response time, they need to consider the square footage of their building, the size of the congregation, they need to have their own response team for medical emergencies. The church I belong to has two floors, and two buildings. One unit wasn't enough for us.

Mr Joeboo, just put a little thought into your purchase, and don't pick one based just on price.. Call around to the local American Heart Association, ask for grants, ask a bunch of questions.. Take up a special collection!

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
If you do need a prescription note that many dealers (I think AEDsuperstore is one of them) will provide a prescription with your purchase.

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
I caught this AED myself, but I'd be willing to give you a fair price for it. Interested?

Pikachu+AED.+Not+mine+but+i+loled+when+i+saw_083cb7_3165823.jpg