advice

soon2bemt

Forum Crew Member
I have just completed my EMT-B training as of last night-passed the final in the class. State practical exams are Saturday and I am quite nervous. I know if I did just fine on the final that I will more than likely do good on the state exams-but I was just looking for some advice.

Also, does anyone have any advice on how and where to look for jobs right out? I am just 18 years old and getting ready to graduate from high school-yes I did this while in high school-and it was tough. Anyway, if anyone has any advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
soon2bemt said:
I have just completed my EMT-B training as of last night-passed the final in the class. State practical exams are Saturday and I am quite nervous. I know if I did just fine on the final that I will more than likely do good on the state exams-but I was just looking for some advice.

Also, does anyone have any advice on how and where to look for jobs right out? I am just 18 years old and getting ready to graduate from high school-yes I did this while in high school-and it was tough. Anyway, if anyone has any advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

Advice for the test......

Get a good nights rest prior. Study ahead of time. Don't read too much into the questions. Eat a good breakfast before taking the test.

If you know your material you can do just fine.

As far as getting the first job..... sometimes it is a little easier to find a place to volunteer first. Get a little experience and it will be easier to get a job. UNder 25 is tough because of a lot of insurance companies. Good luck.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
For the test - the big problem we've had - BRING A WATCH WITH A SECOND HAND. The state isn't going to like "I forgot my watch"

Other than that... knock 'em dead.

As for the job - try local transport Co's... they might only hire you as a Tech, you might not be able to drive... that was how my first job was... it was a real PITA, too (But when I looked at the drivers... most didn't mind working with me... at least I COULD do paperwork, lift, and treat the patient competently... something some of my co-workers had problems with). When I was in Louisana with my part-time employer "a Very large private Ambulance Co" - I amazed a lot of people because I was 20 and a driver... Most sites wouldn't let a 20-year-old drive. The big question is... does the 20 year old have 4 years experinece, EVOC, and a spotless driving record???

Jon

OP
OP
S

soon2bemt

Forum Crew Member
Thanks guys.

I was thinking the same thing about being only 18 trying to find a job-not many people will want to hire and such.

SwissEMT

Forum Lieutenant
You're lucky. I had to wait over a month between the end of my class and my practical exam. :(

RALS504

Forum Lieutenant
You will do fine on the test.

As far as jobs I have a few suggestions/options.
1) Go work at a transport service, less glamourous than 911 calls but good patient contact.
2) Go work at a hospital in the Emergency Dept or where ever. Try to work at a hospital with an EMS.
3) Keep going to school- take your EMT-Intermediate and then maybe your paramedic or RN. If you want a degree go and get it. Education never hurt when applying for a job.

OP
OP
S

soon2bemt

Forum Crew Member
Too bad Missouri doesn't recognize EMT-I. You can get it and work in Missouri but only as an EMT-B. So it's pointless for me to get it. But I'm thinking of medic school in a year probably. The service I am hoping to get hired to pays for paramedic school due to them wanting to become a complete ALS service. Anyway, thanks for the advice. Anymore will be more than welcome.:rolleyes:

OP
OP
S

soon2bemt

Forum Crew Member
testing today for my EMT B-REALLY NERVOUS

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
:) Breathe!!!

OP
OP
S

soon2bemt

Forum Crew Member
Think I failed.....

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
soon2bemt said:
Think I failed.....

Why???

Something specific or just post exam nerves?

OP
OP
S

soon2bemt

Forum Crew Member
Something specific. Skills went great----got what I wanted-cardiac arrest management/AED and traction splint. Anyway, I got trauma for my assessment. Pt. misjudged the depth of a swimming pool and dove in and struck her head on the bottom of the pool. Bystanders pulled her out and stated she had a positive LOC. Pt. was alert and oriented x 4 upon arrival and stated she was having no pain except for around the area of a bad laceration on the forehead-stated she couldn't feel her arms and legs-No pain anywhere else. No other major bleeds or anything. No DCAP-BTLS cept for the head lac. Anyway I got a C-collar on and onto a LSB and did great on the assessment-but when I asked for the baseline vitals which I had my partner take the B/P was 80/60 and I did not position for shock....I already had her on high flow oxgen when I did the assessment of the airway-but again I did not position for shock.

I talked to a friend of mine's husband who took the test last session JCAD had and said he forgot to position for shock as well but he passed because he covered his *** everywhere else-so I was like maybe I'll be okay-but It's nerving the :censored::censored::censored::censored: out of me.

So give me some input-I mean the worst that will happen is I will have to take it again but I really don't want to go through that again.

Have a good Mother's Day out there to all the mom's.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I'd be leary of positioning for shock on this patient because of the possiblity of a head bleed. You definately want to treat for shock, but raising the feet above the head in this case may not be the best thing to do.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
RALS504 said:
You will do fine on the test.

As far as jobs I have a few suggestions/options.
1) Go work at a transport service, less glamourous than 911 calls but good patient contact.
2) Go work at a hospital in the Emergency Dept or where ever. Try to work at a hospital with an EMS.
3) Keep going to school- take your EMT-Intermediate and then maybe your paramedic or RN. If you want a degree go and get it. Education never hurt when applying for a job.
I second the ideas for employment... Consider working transport... You'll get LOTS of experience in assessing patients and writing charts... both are good things to have LOTS of practice in.

OP
OP
S

soon2bemt

Forum Crew Member
ffemt8978 said:
I'd be leary of positioning for shock on this patient because of the possiblity of a head bleed. You definately want to treat for shock, but raising the feet above the head in this case may not be the best thing to do.

That's what I was thinking-but you never know-those damn skill sheets say it's a critical fail if you don't find or manage problems associated with airway, breathing or hemorrhage/hypoperfusion. So it can go either way right now-just hope it will lean my way cuz I did good on everything else.

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
When will you know if you passed or not?

OP
OP
S

soon2bemt

Forum Crew Member
JJR512 said:
When will you know if you passed or not?

I will find out tomorrow after 1 p.m. if I passed or not. I was talking with some medics and emt's today who I have done my clinicals with and gave them the situation. They said they too would not elevate the foot end of the LSB with the head injury. I just hope state caught that's why I didn't do it.

OP
OP
S

soon2bemt

Forum Crew Member
Not sure if I want to know or not.....kind of nervous-I have a strange feeling that I already know the inevitable. What would everyone do in the situation I was given on a trauma patient???

Thanks

OP
OP
S

soon2bemt

Forum Crew Member
They still don't have the results in and may not until tomorrow. They usually get them in on the first business day after test. I'm pretty nervous.....but the emt that I have become pretty good friends with told me I probably didn't need to worry about it.

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Your fine, we were taught that you never do trendelenburg with a head injury, or rather anything bleeding in/from the head or if there are signs or possibility of ICP. Check your text I'm sure it's in there.