Advice for BLS at Football game

Mikeyzhit

Forum Ride Along
I am an EMT-B in California and I work for an Events Medic company that hired me to work at a nearby football game. I am curious what type injuries I need to look out for because I had to buy my own supplies and want to make sure I can provide the best possible patient care, unless an ambulance is needed. I am just a little nervous that I don't have a backboard or any c-spine equipment. We are only responsible for bringing gauze and bandaids, and aspirin and stuff like that. Any suggestions?

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief
When I volunteer as a medic at my GF's roller derby bouts, all I care about is having cold packs and some roller gauze, cardboard, and shears to make splints (mostly ankle and wrist injuries).

RedAirplane

Forum Asst. Chief
Having to buy your own supplies raises a red flag for me. I work a lot of event medicine.

Do they supply oxygen? AEDs? Backboards?

OP
OP
M

Mikeyzhit

Forum Ride Along
I do have cold packs and roller gauze but no cardboard (which I will not bring), and no Redairplane, nothing like that. I guess if we need those, we will call 911

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
its very odd for football not to have a backboard for EMS. ALTHOUGH, commonly the athletic trainers have some kind of immobilizing equipment on their golf cart. Id imagine you'd see a lot of join breaks, and concussions. Football players in my experience wont even stop for a bandaid

OP
OP
M

Mikeyzhit

Forum Ride Along
That's true, I hope they will have some sort of splints or a back board.. Im not even sure they hired our company in the first place..

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
its very odd for football not to have a backboard for EMS. ALTHOUGH, commonly the athletic trainers have some kind of immobilizing equipment on their golf cart. Id imagine you'd see a lot of join breaks, and concussions. Football players in my experience wont even stop for a bandaid
If there are athletic trainers on hand, chances are very good you'll never see any of that stuff. The athletic trainers are going to be far better than you at assessing these injuries than you are as an EMT. The athletic trainers will likely use the on-field ambulance (if any) or they'll call 911 for any transport needs they'll have. Since the Event Medical folks have you bringing aspirin, bandaids and the like, chances are very good you're going to be there for whatever happens to the people attending the event. You'll likely be handing out stuff to people at their request (important distinction to remember) and if there are any serious things happening there, you'll be there... to assess the patient and call 911.

Fry14MN

Security Officer/Dispatcher/FR
My partner plays for the Minnesota Vixen, women's professional tackle football, and when a player is injured its the athlete trainers that go out to the field. More often then not its sprains and strains. If you are needed they will flag you down. If they are flagging you down its for an obvious break or something an ice pack or stretching can't fix.

FNGperpetual

Forum Crew Member
Be able to get a set of vitals. B/P Cuff and stethoscope.

Looks like what you need to do, is to care for the Pt that DOES NOT require transport AND DETERMINE the need for transport and care for a Pt till EMS arrives.

My advice would to look at your NREMT pt assessment skill sheet. Do your assessment: general impression, mental status, LOC, ABC's. Vitals. Should be able to make a transport decision(if parents have not decided already). Clean up or stabilize any injuries. Maintain calm scene control.Gloves, roller gauze, triangle bandages, 4x4s, tape, ice pack/cold pack. Splint board set if can.

Be ready to do a trauma physical exam. Pen light.

A lot of the time, its the presence and expertise if the EMT that makes people feel better.

I guess you are a first responder, You can always hold C-spine, till EMS arrives.

Last edited:

LanceCorpsman

Forum Lieutenant
Agree. Seems like a Red Flag. Why would any one want a EMT, with no ambulance.
although i couldn't agree with you more on this issue, sometime these events require any type of medical personnel on standby for insurance issues. My department gets contracted out all of the time. Sometimes out of our ASA, so we don't bring our ambulance since we can't transport. Ive done multiple events like this, getting paid $40/hr to watch a rodeo or monster truck rally on the front line. My job? Assessing, stabilizing and calling for an ambulance.