Advice for a new EMT

11ismyfavoritenumber

Forum Ride Along
Hey guys, this is my first post! But I have been certified as an EMT-B for a year now, but I finally got my first job in EMS. I will be starting in the next week, and working on ALS rigs in the south side suburbs of Chicago. I'll be doing transports, nursing home emergencies, and 911 calls. I will be seeing some pretty good calls (GSW's, stabbings, major mva's, etc...). With no prior experience, does anyone have any advice, or recommendations for materials I should brush up on? I know I won't be great at first, but I'm trying to make sure I'm as prepared as possible for my position. Thanks!

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Follow your paramedic's lead. your job is to make his job easier. So the more you can acclimate to his way of doing things, the easier it will be.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
On public forums...might I recommend you change your display name....

The more you participate, the more possibility you may vent to us or share something which possibly should not have been shared. Maintain a minor degree of anonymity, so no colleague, boss or run of the mill jerk can google your name and then have every thread/comment you made pop up instantly.

If that is not your name, the I apologize and ignore my post.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Worry less about "brushing up" on technical material and more on being a good partner and good employee -- e.g., say little, listen a lot, show your willingness to do the hardest, least desirable work, don't criticize anything or anyone except yourself.

OP
OP

11ismyfavoritenumber

Forum Ride Along
On public forums...might I recommend you change your display name....

The more you participate, the more possibility you may vent to us or share something which possibly should not have been shared. Maintain a minor degree of anonymity, so no colleague, boss or run of the mill jerk can google your name and then have every thread/comment you made pop up instantly.

If that is not your name, the I apologize and ignore my post.
Thank You! I didn't even think about that.