Advanced EMT classes

RunnerD1987

Forum Crew Member
Hi, I noticed in our state a drop in the number of EMT I/Advanced EMT classes. Especially in the area of our state a lot of volunteer ambulances are only BLS providers. I volunteer 30 minutes away from where I live in a BLS service. I am find with that because a lot of friends and relatives live in the town I volunteer in. However, I was thinking of going back to college and going for a degree in the healthcare field. I work at a hospital right now stocking medicine and setting up machines.

I wanted to do more with patient contact and was looking into advanced EMT, but I only found two in the state. However, they added a new paramedic class.

So summing this up any reason the drop in training more for Advanced EMT?

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
Hi, I noticed in our state a drop in the number of EMT I/Advanced EMT classes. Especially in the area of our state a lot of volunteer ambulances are only BLS providers. I volunteer 30 minutes away from where I live in a BLS service. I am find with that because a lot of friends and relatives live in the town I volunteer in. However, I was thinking of going back to college and going for a degree in the healthcare field. I work at a hospital right now stocking medicine and setting up machines.

I wanted to do more with patient contact and was looking into advanced EMT, but I only found two in the state. However, they added a new paramedic class.

So summing this up any reason the drop in training more for Advanced EMT?

I might be wrong, but it is my understanding that National Registry was going away from Advanced EMT and going to just Basic and Paramedic.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
I might be wrong, but it is my understanding that National Registry was going away from Advanced EMT and going to just Basic and Paramedic.

Yes, you are wrong. :)

They are retitling EMT-Intermediate 85 to Advanced EMT. The scope is slightly higher and they are requiring us to take a "bridge" course and then test us on knowledge we already have and skills we already know. And charge us for it.

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief

They are retitling EMT-Intermediate 85 to Advanced EMT. The scope is slightly higher and they are requiring us to take a "bridge" course and then test us on knowledge we already have and skills we already know. And charge us for it.

Copy

OP
OP
R

RunnerD1987

Forum Crew Member
I figure with the restructuring of the level that it is catching up. Hopefully the hospital will again offer the class above EMT B again. For the moment looking to take a online introduction to the human body class,. Then ACLS, PALS, and Pediatric Life Support in Disaster Class in the meantime when the next AEMT class starts in the end of Summer.

Mavrande

Forum Probie
I figure this is probably related to the national changes - I'm being told that the New Jersey EMT certification levels are changing, that Basics are going to be just "EMT" now, and we're getting a few more skills like blood glucose testing and I think albuterol. I haven't been able to confirm any of this though - since I heard that the new curriculum is effective beginning in 2012, I expected to find something on the internet about it. Anyone know the details on how long the new course is and what additional skills we're getting?

wolfwyndd

Forum Captain

Close enough for government work, but it's SLIGHTLY more complicated. There are a small handful of I/85 states out there (Ohio being one of them) so they are actually dropping the I/85 certification and going with the I/99 only certification. That's what the 'bridge' class is for. For that small handful of us that are I/85 certified we're going to be taught (essentially) the I/99 curriculum and renaming us all to AEMT. I'm not too keen on the new name, but I'm completely ok with upping our skills / knowledge. Kinda looking forward to it, actually.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Close enough for government work, but it's SLIGHTLY more complicated. There are a small handful of I/85 states out there (Ohio being one of them) so they are actually dropping the I/85 certification and going with the I/99 only certification. That's what the 'bridge' class is for. For that small handful of us that are I/85 certified we're going to be taught (essentially) the I/99 curriculum and renaming us all to AEMT. I'm not too keen on the new name, but I'm completely ok with upping our skills / knowledge. Kinda looking forward to it, actually.

Nope. The I/85 is not becoming the I/99. I/99s are being merged with Paramedic and I/85 is being "transitioned" to Advanced-EMT. The A-EMT level will not be at the level of I/99 in either scope of knowledge.

I am sending in my application to the NREMT for their at-large board position. If selected I am going to give them hell about this transition, which requires tests and money.

terrible one

Always wandering
Out of curiosity why is there not just EMT and Paramedic? I never understood the need for anything in between these two.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Out of curiosity why is there not just EMT and Paramedic? I never understood the need for anything in between these two.

Due to the huge chunk of the country where EMS is volunteer and getting paramedic-level ALS is often impossible. The question might actually be asked why there is an EMT-Basic level at all if becoming an Intermediate is only another semester-long course and allows the practitioner to work almost seemlessly with a paramedic. Why would you have one Basic who is partnered with a Medic, thus requiring the Medic to initiate and do all ALS interventions. Why not have an Intermediate and a Medic, so both can start IVs, insert endotracheal tubes, push meds, etc etc

terrible one

Always wandering
Then why not make an Intermediate scope of practice at an EMT level? Increase the EMT curriculeam to one year length and paramedic to two years?
I think I might have bit off more than I can chew with that question.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
I agree. Do away with Basic, make Intermediate/Advanced the new beginning step, make the program a year long (shorter if you go full-time). But then we are back to the issue of the rural areas. They might only be equipped to train for the Basic level and maybe MAYBE the Intermediate level, but almost never for the medic level. As an Intermediate (and certified instructor) I can train people up to the Intermediate level, but I can't train them past that. A lot of the rural areas don't have paramedics and so there is not only no true full-ALS but there is no one to train to that level.

I would be very happy to see Basic being specific to the rural areas, with Intermediate/Advanced being the ALS providers, while having Intermediate and Medic being what you find in suburban and urban areas. Of course I'd love for medics to be on every bus, but that just doesn't exist.

wolfwyndd

Forum Captain
Nope. The I/85 is not becoming the I/99. I/99s are being merged with Paramedic and I/85 is being "transitioned" to Advanced-EMT. The A-EMT level will not be at the level of I/99 in either scope of knowledge.
Really now? You don't say.

Ok then. What, exactly, is the national curriculum going to be for the new AEMT? IV, I assume? More drugs then the basic (nitro, aspirin, D50, morphine, narcan, albuterol breathing treatments, diphenhydramine, etc, etc, etc.), chest decompression. Any of the cardiac stuff like the I-99's get? Honestly, that was pretty much my biggest issue with the I-85. We skip almost the entire cardiac section. Inquiring minds wanna know. :cool:

mcdonl

Forum Captain
This is going to sound bad, but I know a lot of EMT Basics who could never pass an I99 class. And, I know that most of those EMT Basics I referred to provide a very important service and we need them.

In Maine, we may be facing this situation in a few years.

I became an intermediate for two reasons... The number one reason is I can give NTG. EPI and Breathing Treatments with OLMC approval. We have a 40 minute transport, even longer on our many mutual aid calls.

The second reason is IV. Our protocol has us doing a lot of IV's, and in cases of dehydration and hyperglycemia there is a marked improvement in the patients when administered fluids. Although, I would venture a guess that most of my IV's are done due to protocol and preperation for MEDIC or Hospital drug administration.

So, that is why **I** decided to step up to Intermediate. Now, if the EMT Advance protocol allows me to continue to provide these services then I will be content with that. My EMT-I class was an I99 class... If I were to lose any of those skills I would take the bridge to MEDIC.

Incidentally, in our new protocl going into effect 12/1 we lose ET's but maintain blind airways and I am cool with that.

Last edited by a moderator:

LIT

Forum Ride Along
Due to the huge chunk of the country where EMS is volunteer and getting paramedic-level ALS is often impossible. The question might actually be asked why there is an EMT-Basic level at all if becoming an Intermediate is only another semester-long course and allows the practitioner to work almost seemlessly with a paramedic. Why would you have one Basic who is partnered with a Medic, thus requiring the Medic to initiate and do all ALS interventions. Why not have an Intermediate and a Medic, so both can start IVs, insert endotracheal tubes, push meds, etc etc

I agree the basic and intermediate should be merged but it's not just one more semester, not in texas anyway. It's two semesters, a full year longer which totals up to $1550 in tuition and an additional $600+ in books.

18G

Paramedic
Then why not make an Intermediate scope of practice at an EMT level? Increase the EMT curriculeam to one year length and paramedic to two years?
I think I might have bit off more than I can chew with that question.

Great idea! I have often said that current EMT-Basic's really shouldn't be able to function as a primary care provider on an ambulance. The new Advanced-EMT level being rolled out will hopefully start to replace EMT-Basic's as the primary care provider.

In PA we have never had an intermediate level so the AEMT will be something totally new for us.

mcdonl

Forum Captain
In PA we have never had an intermediate level so the AEMT will be something totally new for us.

I think you will find it pretty useful. We (AEMT/I) can work well in a system with medics... this is even more true in rural areas where medics are not as plentiful.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
GA has four EMT levels. Whoa.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
We run I/P. I work as an I now until I finish school. I love the medics I work with and they love the fact that I can actually take patients with more of a complaint than toe pain, no offense to the basics on here.

I don't understand how you guys weren't taught cardiac meds in school for I/85? I have a pretty solid scope as an Intermediate here.