Advanced care tech

CVJPMG

Forum Probie
I noticed that our hospital began a new position for the ER and certain units. Normally we have a Patient care tech that is usually equal to the EMT-B and RN which can sometimes be equal to an RN. I can't really get info on it from anyone so I'm wondering if I theres anything similar out there? Requirements are at minimum EMT-B still

Summit

Critical Crazy
Patient Care Tech, Critical Care Tech, Advanced Care Tech... usually different flavors of the same role in different parts of the hospital.

Sometimes one requires CNA (usually floor) vs EMT (usually ED). Sometimes, in some places, Advanced means they want a Paramedic or a CNA II and allow extra skills with training.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
In some hospitals the patient care techs in the ER and ICU have a slightly expanded roles which may include stuff like phlebotomy or watching telemetry. Really isn't much different than a normal PCT. Even if it requires a paramedic it will not involve passing meds or advanced interventions.

In the past some places used to let Critical Care PCTs draw labs from lines, do straight caths/foleys, etc but that is very uncommon now.

Summit

Critical Crazy
CNA IIs and specially trained paramedics still do caths and foleys in some areas, but there is a strong preference for RNs because complications are non-reimbursable and CAUTI rates affect quality scores (which affect reimbursement rates).

Last edited:

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
In some hospitals the patient care techs in the ER and ICU have a slightly expanded roles which may include stuff like phlebotomy or watching telemetry. Really isn't much different than a normal PCT. Even if it requires a paramedic it will not involve passing meds or advanced interventions.

In the past some places used to let Critical Care PCTs draw labs from lines, do straight caths/foleys, etc but that is very uncommon now.
Our techs are still doing caths, labs, POC testing, IV access and lab draws and the like. Paramedic techs operate with an expanded scope and can give most meds an RN can. They also intubate, either with the physician giving RSI meds or independently in cardiac arrest situations.