Advanced airway for NREMT-B exam?

bigdude

Forum Probie
During my EMT-B class, we skipped the chapter on advanced airway. We did however learn to insert a combitube/king tube. As far as written tests, we were not tested on any advanced airway material.

Will the written NREMT-B exam cover advanced airway material?

nwhitney

Forum Captain
Same for me and I think you'll be fine come NREMT exam time.

OP
OP
bigdude

bigdude

Forum Probie
Same for me and I think you'll be fine come NREMT exam time.

Do you remember if any advanced airway questions were on the exam?

nwhitney

Forum Captain
Do you remember if any advanced airway questions were on the exam?

From my understanding the NREMT has about 3500 questions to pull from. I got 70 questions and none of them were about advanced airways. Of course I also didn't have any questions about burns. Hard to say for sure but I'm 99% positive it is not something for you to worry about.

OP
OP
bigdude

bigdude

Forum Probie
From my understanding the NREMT has about 3500 questions to pull from. I got 70 questions and none of them were about advanced airways. Of course I also didn't have any questions about burns. Hard to say for sure but I'm 99% positive it is not something for you to worry about.

Ok, thank you for the information. I will forget about reading that chapter.

Chief Complaint

Forum Captain
No you won't have any questions regarding advanced airways on the exam. You likely learned he Combitube/King skill because they are used by Basics in some county's protocols.

depri

Forum Probie
I'm curious (first, and hopefully only, attempt coming up): Does the NREMT basically use questions that would pretty much be uniform across all states' scope of practice for their Basics (meaning it would not ask questions some that Basics in some locals would have learned/drilled, but other Basics in other locals have not learned/drilled)?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Any question on the NR test will be based off of the National scope of practice and protocols for the level you are testing at.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Any question on the NR test will be based off of the National scope of practice and protocols for the level you are testing at.

Correction: The NR tests on the national DOT curriculum, at least at present there is NOT a national scope of practice or protocols, they are state, county, region, city or service based.