Advance in paramedicine...

dalman97

Forum Crew Member
Hi! I will be starting an EMT program in January then onto Paramedic program in the Fall. I was curious what kind of opportunities there are to advance once an EMT-P. The more I research the more I feel I will want to stay in paramedicine, rather than bridge to nursing eventually. But are there courses I can take to widen my scope as a medic and become more marketable, making more yearly?
Thanks!

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Hi! I will be starting an EMT program in January then onto Paramedic program in the Fall. I was curious what kind of opportunities there are to advance once an EMT-P. The more I research the more I feel I will want to stay in paramedicine, rather than bridge to nursing eventually. But are there courses I can take to widen my scope as a medic and become more marketable, making more yearly?
Thanks!

There are associate and bachelor degrees in ems. Some areas require degrees for supervisor or training positions. There are critical care transport and or flight Medic certs .. most require experience. There is a push in some areas for a community or extended care paramedicine which offers an expanded scope.

OP
OP
dalman97

dalman97

Forum Crew Member
Thanks Tim... the program i will attend is the National EMS Academy/Acadian company. I will be nationally registered and overall its a 2 year program start to finish. They do offer an associates degree at LIT but the class hours through nemsa will allow me to work my current full time job. It's also a year shorter but ONLY because the program at LIT requires a year of general ed pre-reqs prior to the program.

I just don't feel like i will enjoy nursing as much and don't want to be forced to bridge bc of low income in a field i love.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
If you are a nurse you can choose to work as a paramedic.

The opposite is not true.

Before you decide what career is or isn't for you, I recommend you explore it a little.

Nursing offers an incredible amount of lateral transfer and advancement.

EMS not nearly as much.

an RN can get reciprocity throughout the world, a US paramedic cannot.

In and out of the hospital, there are simply more opportunities for nurses.

Look at international disasters, nurses welcome, US medics not so much.

OP
OP
dalman97

dalman97

Forum Crew Member
Im not opposed to bridging to nursing. That is actually my plan after becoming a medic. I just have a feeling i will really love being a medic and wanted to know my options in case i decided to stay in ems.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
If you are a nurse you can choose to work as a paramedic.

The opposite is not true.

Before you decide what career is or isn't for you, I recommend you explore it a little.

Nursing offers an incredible amount of lateral transfer and advancement.

EMS not nearly as much.

an RN can get reciprocity throughout the world, a US paramedic cannot.

In and out of the hospital, there are simply more opportunities for nurses.

Look at international disasters, nurses welcome, US medics not so much.

I do not completely agree with this statement. I have worked in 3 different country's with my U.S. NREMT-P and have even been offered reciprocity in parts of the EU if I could pass the local language test. I also made more then the RN's at the hospital when I contracted in the middle east.

with that said... that's international work, and the places that paid a lot where experiencing shortages of paramedics. In the U.S. most of the time RN's will bring home more than Paramedics, considerably more. However its not always the case... There are some government and municipal agency's in the states that pay paramedics quite well. Those jobs are harder to get and more competitive than private ambulance jobs though.

and "if your a nurse you can choose to work as a Paramedic" is not always true, especially in every state and country. There are also Paramedic to RN bridge courses that take less than a year to complete.

At the end of the day nursing has a higher MINIMUM standard than U.S. EMS and a degree requirement, its also a much older profession than Paramedicine. So it is EASIER for them to obtain higher paying jobs and transfer into more slots than a paramedic can. Then again, who wants to be a nurse? ^_^ haha that jobs not for me, but more power to those who want to go that route

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Im not opposed to bridging to nursing. That is actually my plan after becoming a medic. I just have a feeling i will really love being a medic and wanted to know my options in case i decided to stay in ems.

If you want to further you education after Paramedic certification and stay in EMS other opportunities could include supervisor, education, flight, research, even (cringe) management.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I do not completely agree with this statement. I have worked in 3 different country's with my U.S. NREMT-P and have even been offered reciprocity in parts of the EU if I could pass the local language test. I also made more then the RN's at the hospital when I contracted in the middle east.

So have I. But I think it is more of an exception than a rule or reasonable plan.

I would also point out that the locations of some of my experiences, and as I understand yours, are not always in the most civilized of environments.

I see it sort of like encouraging people to work as medics before med school. Yea, it can help, but it is not the quickest or easiest way and it is less of a guarantee than a more traditional path so I advise people against it even though it has worked for me.

with that said... that's international work, and the places that paid a lot where experiencing shortages of paramedics

Or had none at all. (as was my case) I also understand some of your experience is in places that is not particularly "safe" or advisable to females.

In the U.S. most of the time RN's will bring home more than Paramedics, considerably more. However its not always the case... There are some government and municipal agency's in the states that pay paramedics quite well. Those jobs are harder to get and more competitive than private ambulance jobs though

Fully agree

and "if your a nurse you can choose to work as a Paramedic" is not always true, especially in every state and country. There are also Paramedic to RN bridge courses that take less than a year to complete.

I admit I could have worded that better. But from states with prehospital RNs to out of hospital critical care jobs, and many states having an easier bridge to medic from RN than RN from medic, I still think it is much better prospects to work outside the hospital as a nurse. Both in terms of initial employment and pay.

At the end of the day nursing has a higher MINIMUM standard than U.S. EMS and a degree requirement, its also a much older profession than Paramedicine. So it is EASIER for them to obtain higher paying jobs and transfer into more slots than a paramedic can. Then again, who wants to be a nurse? ^_^ haha that jobs not for me, but more power to those who want to go that route

Not me, that's for sure.

But I must honestly say, if I was just starting out again and know what I know now, I would have probably sucked it up a little, went to nursing school, and made boatloads more money on the way up the chain than I did.

Last edited by a moderator:

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
I do not want to mislead anyone, but I do enjoy playing the devils advocate. Vene is correct by saying nursing in general pays more and has more room to advance and transfer.
However as I stated do not write EMS off if you find out being a paramedic "is your thing" there is hope lol

OP
OP
dalman97

dalman97

Forum Crew Member
Wow... thanks guys! I dont see myself ever leaving Texas, muchless the USA. To be perfectly honest, the difference in income is the ONLY reason I am considering the bridge to nursing in the first place. In my area entry level nurses make twice as much as entry level medics. I really dont think i would like nursing =( maybe if i were in a trauma center, but I get bored easily and i think making your typical rounds in a hospital would bore me to death.

Veneficus

Forum Chief

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
well just a suggestion, but...
What I did when I was 17 years old was call the local ambulance company and ask if I could do a ride along. They said yes and I was hooked. Maybe you could do the same with nursing and EMS. Give them both a test drive then test the waters further with EMT-B and or CNA to get a taste of both

OP
OP
dalman97

dalman97

Forum Crew Member
well just a suggestion, but...
What I did when I was 17 years old was call the local ambulance company and ask if I could do a ride along. They said yes and I was hooked. Maybe you could do the same with nursing and EMS. Give them both a test drive then test the waters further with EMT-B and or CNA to get a taste of both

Yes I really do need to do that. I've worked in doctors offices enough to know nursing isn't my dream job. But it isn't a crap job either given the right department. Just not something I will be excited about.

It really is sad how poorly medics are paid <_<

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Yes I really do need to do that. I've worked in doctors offices enough to know nursing isn't my dream job. But it isn't a crap job either given the right department. Just not something I will be excited about.

It really is sad how poorly medics are paid <_<

Spend some time with ED nurses and ICU nurses if you can.

I always give credit where it is due, and my success in medicine is largely due to 2 nurses who precepted me when I was in medic school.

Both were ED nurses at the time. (at the time in order to get in the ED you needed at least 2 years ICU experience)

Neither one of these outstanding nurses fit anywhere near the model of a doctor's office or general IM wards.

OP
OP
dalman97

dalman97

Forum Crew Member

I always give credit where it is due, and my success in medicine is largely due to 2 nurses who precepted me when I was in medic school.

Both were ED nurses at the time. (at the time in order to get in the ED you needed at least 2 years ICU experience)

Neither one of these outstanding nurses fit anywhere near the model of a doctor's office or general IM wards.

Ok Ven... thank you! I really am so excited about this I can barely contain myself at times. I have wanted to further my education for some time. Didn't do things right out of high school, married, kiddo and well you get the point. Now I'm a 34 year old single mom, my boy is 10 and I feel more grounded than ever. I am ready... thanks everyone for all the great advice!

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
Since you are in southeast Texas I assume you will work for Acadian.

As a medic there are some options to be better. Go thru the CCT training and do that, drive over to lake Charles and work on Air Med, finish a degree and move up into FTO or management.

Having a degree I feel is about to start factoring into promotions.

medictmfl

Forum Ride Along
my two cents

vene and schulz have covered most of the ground that needs covering but I'm opinionated and emtlife has given me a soapbox (plus I need 5 posts before I can send PM's) so here you go. I have been in EMS since '96 and a PM for 7 years and loved every second of it, even the really crappy ones, but as I get older I realize I like sleeping in my own bed, next to my wife (no offense to my partner who snores like a '63 Harley) and waking up at 8 maybe 9 am if I feel like it. I like paychecks with an extra zero at the end of them. And I like wearing pajamas to work. This is why I am currently attending an RN program and here is why I'd do it before medic school:

1. There are a bunch of bridge programs out there, however many states won't grant you reciprocity (college network I'm looking at you). Taking a full RN program alleviates this.

2. Most states have a fairly simple process for transitioning to PM from RN.

3. PM school would have been a lot more tolerable if I was making RN money while I was doing it. A man can only eat so much ramen. Yes you can make good money as a medic if you work for a good municipal dept. or are willing to go play in the sandbox in the middle east, but you can make really good money almost anywhere as an RN.

4. Almost every good call the PM winds up handing their pt over to.... a nurse. Plus who doesn't like wiping a bum's a$$ every once in a while.

Either way you go they are great jobs and I plan to continue doing both. Good luck to you.

vene and schulz, gentleman, you may now proceed to rip apart my comments

VFlutter

Flight Nurse

I think there are a lot of misconceptions about nursing, especially from those in EMS. Being a male in nursing school I constantly being questioned why I would want to be a nurse, or why I am not a medic or doctor. Most of my teachers automatically assume I am just in it to be a CRNA .But that is a whole different topic.

Many medics may only experience nursing in the ED or on a Med/surg floor picking up a patient for an IFT. Those lucky enough to do clinical in an ICU may have a different view. I will admit that the majority of jobs in nursing are general med/surg/Onc however there are many options out there.

I would recommend anyone interested to go shadow an ICU, Cath Lab, trauma surg, etc before you decide that it is not for you. I guarantee that you will find some area that you will enjoy. There are literally endless opportunities.

Do not get me wrong, I love EMS. I can honestly say I have learned just as much, if not more, on the ambulance than I have from any of my nursing classes. It has made me a better practitioner and refined my assessment skills in a way that I would have never learned from nursing. However there is just no future in it for me. I plan on getting my medic cert after I graduate and would love to volunteer somewhere but that is really the extent of it.

OP
OP
dalman97

dalman97

Forum Crew Member
vene and schulz have covered most of the ground that needs covering but I'm opinionated and emtlife has given me a soapbox (plus I need 5 posts before I can send PM's) so here you go. I have been in EMS since '96 and a PM for 7 years and loved every second of it, even the really crappy ones, but as I get older I realize I like sleeping in my own bed, next to my wife (no offense to my partner who snores like a '63 Harley) and waking up at 8 maybe 9 am if I feel like it. I like paychecks with an extra zero at the end of them. And I like wearing pajamas to work. This is why I am currently attending an RN program and here is why I'd do it before medic school:

1. There are a bunch of bridge programs out there, however many states won't grant you reciprocity (college network I'm looking at you). Taking a full RN program alleviates this.

2. Most states have a fairly simple process for transitioning to PM from RN.

3. PM school would have been a lot more tolerable if I was making RN money while I was doing it. A man can only eat so much ramen. Yes you can make good money as a medic if you work for a good municipal dept. or are willing to go play in the sandbox in the middle east, but you can make really good money almost anywhere as an RN.

4. Almost every good call the PM winds up handing their pt over to.... a nurse. Plus who doesn't like wiping a bum's a$$ every once in a while.

Either way you go they are great jobs and I plan to continue doing both. Good luck to you.

vene and schulz, gentleman, you may now proceed to rip apart my comments

Haha... I like your sense of humor =) thanks for the advice... I know u are right and i will most likely bridge to nursing. I like living comfortably, financially speaking. Paycheck to paycheck is all i have ever known and I'm sick of it.

OP
OP
dalman97

dalman97

Forum Crew Member
I think there are a lot of misconceptions about nursing, especially from those in EMS. Being a male in nursing school I constantly being questioned why I would want to be a nurse, or why I am not a medic or doctor. Most of my teachers automatically assume I am just in it to be a CRNA .But that is a whole different topic.

Many medics may only experience nursing in the ED or on a Med/surg floor picking up a patient for an IFT. Those lucky enough to do clinical in an ICU may have a different view. I will admit that the majority of jobs in nursing are general med/surg/Onc however there are many options out there.

I would recommend anyone interested to go shadow an ICU, Cath Lab, trauma surg, etc before you decide that it is not for you. I guarantee that you will find some area that you will enjoy. There are literally endless opportunities.

Do not get me wrong, I love EMS. I can honestly say I have learned just as much, if not more, on the ambulance than I have from any of my nursing classes. It has made me a better practitioner and refined my assessment skills in a way that I would have never learned from nursing. However there is just no future in it for me. I plan on getting my medic cert after I graduate and would love to volunteer somewhere but that is really the extent of it.

Thanks for the advice... i know the wide range of opportunities would be nice along with twice the pay =)