Adenosine IV site

Have you successfully cardioverted with adenosine using an IV in the hand?

• Total voters

lilmedic

Forum Ride Along
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has come across any research regarding IV sites and adenosine.

I recently had a patient in a PSVT who's only IV site was an 18g in his dorsal metacarpal vein. He was symptomatic with a BP of 84/52, SOB (no pulmonary edema), complaining of chest pain and his 12-lead revealed anterolateral ST depression. After an unsuccessful Valsalva maneuver, I elected to treat with adenosine (6mg IV followed by a 20cc flush, and then 12mg approximately 2 min later) which was also unsuccessful. While I was synchronizing my monitor and preparing to sedate him, he converted........

Does anyone have an idea what the infusion time difference is in the antecubital fossa vs dorsal metacarpal?

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
How long does it take blood to flow from the hand to the elbow? 1 second? 1.5 seconds? I don't know. I doubt there is any discernible difference between between a drug injected in the hand vs. one injected in the antecubital fossa. Especially if your IV is running briskly and the drug is flushed with 10cc or so.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Yes. Converted on the 12 with a dorsal 20ga.

Also, simply putting pads on someone can cause them to convert. :) I like the think it's the fear of getting lit up.

Reactions: NPO

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
I think the flush is more important than the injection site necessarily. I usually use a 3 way stopcock so i can immediately flush the line without fumbling around.

I doubt it was the Adenosine that caused him to convert. The half life of Adenosine is seconds.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Not sure about IV site, but I know a tibial IO will do allow a conversion w/ adenocard

Alan L Serve

Forum Captain
It takes 60 seconds or less for a red blood cell to go from one spot and make its way through the back and return to that same spot.

Sit, Spot, sit. See Spot run. Run Spot run.

Summit

Critical Crazy
I've done it from a hand of course is prefer proximal or better yet central

EthanMD

Forum Ride Along
I would've went straight to cardioversion. Those findings show the patient to be severely symptomatic.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I would've went straight to cardioversion. Those findings show the patient to be severely symptomatic.
For me it would have really depended on his LOC. That's generally what I use to help guide my drugs vs electricity decision tree. But I'm also not hte OP...