Additional certs for BLS providers?

Lazer

Forum Probie
Hello all,

I'm on the hunt for additional certs that will help advance my knowledge and confidence and also make me a more competitive candidate for 911. I haven't been able to find a comprehensive list of certs available to emt-bs and I'm sure I'm not the only occupant of this particular sea faring vessel, so for those of you in the know please feel free to enlighten us (me)

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
NIMS/ICS certs, CPR Instructor cert. There aren't a lot of certs that are only for the EMT level. Most of the certs, otherwise known as merit badge courses, are geared towards the ALS level (PALS, ITLS, ACLS)

frdude1000

Forum Captain
HazMat Operations

ITLS (they have a BLS version of the course)

If your looking at 911 stuff and its with a fire department, Firefighter I&II, Rope Rescue training, swiftwater rescue training

OP
OP
L

Lazer

Forum Probie
HazMat Operations

ITLS (they have a BLS version of the course)

If your looking at 911 stuff and its with a fire department, Firefighter I&II, Rope Rescue training, swiftwater rescue training

Yes I am interested in fire. I have looked at ITLS but I can't find a class in my area (oakland CA) I'm attending an academy beginning middle of next month that will get me my FF1, I'm also starting with S&R next month and they offer tons of free training (high and low angle, tech rescue, wilderness survival etc) but no certs :( I also just found out that emt-bs can get PHTLS. Any ideas about where to inquire about hazmat and swift water? I can't find anything online.

ZombieEMT

Chief Medical Zombie
Premium Member
Best ones to help you probably include the NIMS/ICS, PHTLS/BTLS/ITLS, PEEP, HazMat.... Many other courses help. Best thing for good EMS positions, experience. A bunch of certs is good, but doesn't make you competant or even good.

OP
OP
L

Lazer

Forum Probie
Best ones to help you probably include the NIMS/ICS, PHTLS/BTLS/ITLS, PEEP, HazMat.... Many other courses help. Best thing for good EMS positions, experience. A bunch of certs is good, but doesn't make you competant or even good.

Awesome thanks! Yeah already I know where to get experience so I didn't ask about that but yes I agree , thanks again!

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
The NIMS/ICS and CPR Instructor certs would probably be your best bets to begin with. Following those, I would say that you'd want to have a trauma course for BLS providers. One of the courses I took was a "Combined Provider" course that was geared toward both. I actually liked that course because it allowed the Basics to interact with and learn from the Medics and kind of served as a way to get the Basics up to speed on what the Medics are thinking, why they do what they do, and keep up with them on scene later. As an EMT, you won't be able to use ACLS or PALS/NRP much because you won't be able to do any of the interventions. Being familiar with that stuff is good though because you'll at least have an idea what's coming up "next" and what to grab when the Medic asks you to get it.

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
Yes I am interested in fire. I have looked at ITLS but I can't find a class in my area (oakland CA) I'm attending an academy beginning middle of next month that will get me my FF1, I'm also starting with S&R next month and they offer tons of free training (high and low angle, tech rescue, wilderness survival etc) but no certs :( I also just found out that emt-bs can get PHTLS. Any ideas about where to inquire about hazmat and swift water? I can't find anything online.

Whats your goal? to become a firefighter in a 911 dept. or a EMT in a 911 Dept.

If your short term goal is EMT in a 911 environment,

BTLS,ITLS,PHTLS different specific curriculum(s) but overall its a trauma assessment course.
ACLS for the BLS provider is useful.
PALS,PEARS
Emergency Vehicle Operations (I think Cali has their own Ambulance Operator course required through the DOT.)
Rescue courses, Nothing extravagant, but basic vehicle, rope, water (whatever fits the bill best where you plan to work) will be helpful to grasp an understanding of whats going on
Hazmat Courses, Awareness and Operations are probably your best choices

If your goal is fire focus on Firefighter I & II, Rescue operations to the max, Engine company and Truck Company Operations.

You can take the entry level Hazmat Awarness course free online, search saferesponse on google. Alot of places I know have guys take their refreshers that way, Its a basic course in recognizing hazardous materials and how to use a response guide.

NIMS/ICS courses are eligible online too, through the FEMA website, but Note: they are a bear to sit through and quite long. But informational.

Last edited by a moderator:

RescueRider724

Forum Crew Member
In Pa they also have additional modules that you can take to expand your tools in a minimal way, CPAP for BLS, EPI Pen for BLS, and Pulse OX for BLS. Allows you to use these tools and the epi pen class allows you to administer to a pt within strict protocols if your service is an authorized prescriber by PA DOH. Sure there are similar courses in other states as well...

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
In Pa they also have additional modules that you can take to expand your tools in a minimal way, CPAP for BLS, EPI Pen for BLS, and Pulse OX for BLS. Allows you to use these tools and the epi pen class allows you to administer to a pt within strict protocols if your service is an authorized prescriber by PA DOH. Sure there are similar courses in other states as well...

Not so much, no. In a couple others but for the most part your scope is your scope and there's no merit badge courses that allow you to expand it

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief

Lazer, where are you attending academy? Most academies include HazMat. As far as certs go, there is a point where it is good to get additional training but you can cross that line to a cert collector if you don't have documented experience to back it up. Go to academy. Get a BLS ambo job (until you can land a 911 gig). Apply for CAL FIRE and get on with a reserve department in your area while making a plan to attend paramedic school. Those four things will be difficult to juggle at times but will really help to make you a well balanced candidate.

Also, once you are affiliated, take all the courses that are offered in-house and discounted... and don't be a tool. No one cares about your certs if they can't stand working with you.

Fire related classes are also available at the State Fire Training website... link to follow.

Last edited by a moderator: