Addiction

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Don't tell this guy that.

View attachment 3645

It's not "safe", but it sure is "safer" (cheaper), this is my favorite little summary (obviously, abstracting things):

From "Estimating the Harms of Nicotine-Containing Products Using the MCDA Approach"

No question that it is not *safe*, of course.

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent
Weed is legal in many states now too....alcohol is legal.

Cigs, weed, booze...all classified as drugs...so with the logic of cigs are legal and we cannot regulate "off duty" can I now as a Firefighter go get stoned off my *** the day prior to my shift? I mean it is legal and I am OFF DUTY. Just saying, there are legal ways to restrict everything.

Yes, you can. And you're department can't legally do a thing about it unless you show up unfit for duty because then, you're at work. That's part of the problem with legalizing weed right now...there's no objective measurement of what constitutes "stoned" like there is for alcohol.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
I was already a can a day dipper coming into EMT school. The reason I picked up the habit was because of my dad. No excuse and no rhyme or reason. I was just curious. I started at 16 years old and quit at 20 years old. I quit cold turkey 3/4 of the way through my fire season and I'm happy I did. Now I would be lying if I said that I don't get nicotine cravings every now and again. Certainly I feel like the stress from medic school can induce that craving but I haven't touched a can since I quit. It's will power what it comes down to, the reason I quit is because my dad actually got mouth cancer (luckily they caught it way early) so it wasn't even a option for me and it was easy to quit cold turkey. Why people get habits and addictions durning EMT and/or medic school is the stress. Some people are better at handling the stress than others, those others need a crutch. Wether is dip, cigarettes, or alcohol it's a crutch. Why I dipped wasn't a crutch, but it relaxed me when I though a lip in.

MMohler

Forum Crew Member
Are those coffee grinds things good? I would definitely give it a try for some caffeine instead of a red bull or monster. I have dipped and throw an OCCASIONAL lip here and there but no addiction. Cigarettes were a faze then it got gross. Really intrigued by these grind things....o_O

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief