Accusations against EMS...

SSwain

Forum Captain
So I had to make a statement yesterday regarding my role in a call we had Sunday morning.
Long story short...call was to a trailer park, PT's home was a collection of crap that would put any hoarder to shame.
PT's wife comments that she move a lot of stuff out of our way before we got there.
We had 3 EMS (one was a trainee) and a Police officer there throughout the duration.

Chief calls me in yesterday for my story about the call.

Seems the PT is complaining that his I-Pad is missing. He swears it was on the coffee table and now it's gone.

I feel he either...
A) Never had one and is trying to milk our service for some $$$$
B) had one but the wife moved it
C) Lost it in the many piles of crap he was living amongst.

Anybody ever had to defend against theft claims?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Yep. Patient state that she gave her purse to us with $10,000 cash in it.

As soon as we got to the hospital the patient starts saying we stole it. Documented it in the PCR. Filled out an SYA form and never heard anything back about it.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Yup. Psych pt being transferred from a stabilization facility to a hospital. She was completely psychotic at the time of transfer and needed several cops to assist us getting her on the gurney, where she got both physical and chemical restraints. The sending facility sent several sealed belongings bags with us. Pt later claimed she had $500 in cash that was missing. Once management heard there were cops and FFs in the amb for the whole transport they dismissed her complaint.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
So I had to make a statement yesterday regarding my role in a call we had Sunday morning.
Long story short...call was to a trailer park, PT's home was a collection of crap that would put any hoarder to shame.
PT's wife comments that she move a lot of stuff out of our way before we got there.
We had 3 EMS (one was a trainee) and a Police officer there throughout the duration.

Chief calls me in yesterday for my story about the call.

Seems the PT is complaining that his I-Pad is missing. He swears it was on the coffee table and now it's gone.

I feel he either...
A) Never had one and is trying to milk our service for some $$$$
B) had one but the wife moved it
C) Lost it in the many piles of crap he was living amongst.

Anybody ever had to defend against theft claims?

D) Hoarding is an early sign of dementia and other psychiatric illnesses and the patient actually believes he had an I-Pad.

TechYourself

NRP, FP-C
I was called by our hospital's patient advocacy office because a patient (Motorcycle accident) that i had seen had some missing cash.

I just confirmed that I didn't throw any belongings away and that I had not seen any cash.

Since I had never been accused of anything like that, and I was worried what effects this might have on evals etc, I went and talked to my supervisor.

I was given a laugh and a joke, then told not to worry about it. It was nice to have my superiors looking out for me, as it very easily could have gone a different direction.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Just say NO.

OfficerEvenEMT

Forum Crew Member
You had an LEO there? Bring him in on it. It's more than likely that this is a bogus accusation. How well do you know your partner and the trainee?

OP
OP
S

SSwain

Forum Captain
You had an LEO there? Bring him in on it. It's more than likely that this is a bogus accusation. How well do you know your partner and the trainee?

LEO respond to almost all calls to this area (as a first responder)
I am sure he was called in as well.

My partner? I trust him with my life. The trainee? He was by my side the entire time. We all were in the room at the same time. The trainee went out to get the stair chair, but that was the only time anyone was not with the rest of us. Keep in mind this is in a mobile home. The front door opens to the main room. Being outside was the only time you were out of sight.
I wish I had a picture of the conditions of this place. Ughhhh.

I am convinced he never had one, or his wife moved it and now they can't find it.

OfficerEvenEMT

Forum Crew Member
LEO respond to almost all calls to this area (as a first responder)
I am sure he was called in as well.

My partner? I trust him with my life. The trainee? He was by my side the entire time. We all were in the room at the same time. The trainee went out to get the stair chair, but that was the only time anyone was not with the rest of us. Keep in mind this is in a mobile home. The front door opens to the main room. Being outside was the only time you were out of sight.
I wish I had a picture of the conditions of this place. Ughhhh.

I am convinced he never had one, or his wife moved it and now they can't find it.

Definitely find out who the LEO was and try to contact him. Inform him of this accusation, as it will affect him as well. If he's a standup guy then he'll contact your supervisor (phone call, letter, email, whatever) and let him know that there was no opportunity for an iPad to be stolen and this is likely a bogus accusation. If it continues then I would urge you to contact your union (if you have one) or find a lawyer. I see that you wrote "Esq" in your training section. Are you a lawyer? If so then don't represent yourself- you'll have a fool for a client. :p

OP
OP
S

SSwain

Forum Captain
I'll find out more about where this issue stands this weekend.

As for the "Esq." part. It has nothing to do with law....

es·quire
noun \ˈes-ˌkwī(-ə)r, is-ˈ\

Definition of ESQUIRE

1 a member of the English gentry ranking below a knight

2 a candidate for knighthood serving as shield bearer and attendant to a knight

3—used as a title of courtesy usually placed in its abbreviated form after the surname <John R. Smith, Esq.>

4archaic: a landed proprietor

Last edited by a moderator:

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I'll find out more about where this issue stands this weekend.

As for the "Esq." part. It has nothing to do with law....

es·quire
noun \ˈes-ˌkwī(-ə)r, is-ˈ\

Definition of ESQUIRE

1 a member of the English gentry ranking below a knight

2 a candidate for knighthood serving as shield bearer and attendant to a knight

3—used as a title of courtesy usually placed in its abbreviated form after the surname <John R. Smith, Esq.>

4archaic: a landed proprietor

And in common American usage, an unmarried man .

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
I wouldn't worry to much about it. He'll have to prove he had an iPad with receipts ect. If he never had it that will be hard to do. These reports have to be filed as a matter of policy usually.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Can he just use the find my iPhone app? I use it weekly to find my phone.

I've never had a patient claim something was stolen. I find that 99% of the time I start thinking a student stole something it's really something I misplaced and soon find.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll

I've never had a patient claim something was stolen. I find that 99% of the time I start thinking a student stole something it's really something I misplaced and soon find.

If he turned that feature one then he should be able to use it (it probably will probably tell him it's at his house which still doesn't help him).

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
And in common American usage, an unmarried man .

Is that a regional thing? I've never heard it used to refer to an unmarried man before.

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
Had a kidnap victim who managed to keep a few grand of money in some extra pocket they never checked. Handed it to a police officer on-scene.... got a call later in the day...guess it disappeared... Uh-Oh. Never found out what happened with that...

OfficerEvenEMT

Forum Crew Member

You get your phone stolen every week? :sad: