Accelerated Paramedic Schools

TheDoll

Forum Captain
The only way a Paramedic could be any good in a program less than two years is to have either an extreme understanding knowledge of advanced science, or to have already attended courses such as anatomy & physiology, chemistry, psychology, etc at collegiate level.

Shake and bake course are just that. I don't care how much "field" experience one may have. Yes, it does give one some reference to fall back upon, but as others can attest there is much more to diagnostics than the skills one has by "working in the streets".

My suggestion is to take a anatomy & class, then take the Paramedic course. This will assist you in learning and have a better understanding of what your treating and patient is presenting. It would be a like a mechanic attempting to work on an auto without knowing what parts of the auto do and how they work.

R/r 911
i could be misinformed, but the only programs i've heard about around here (indy) are 1 year not including the a&p portion. well, i have heard of the afore mentioned accelerated program in bloomington, but i haven't heard of any programs that are 2 years. i haven't been in the business for very long. so, i hope that i get the training i need. now i'm all worried:sad:

Emtgirl21

Forum Lieutenant
Neosho, Missour has a program that is 6 months. The next group starts in Jaunrary and test in July. You have to already have A&P though and test into the program. Its at Crowder College.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Almost all associate degree programs are at the least of two years or maybe three years in length. If one is only attending for 6 months, they are either going to classes three times a week or cutting corners. I can teach anyone to pass a certification exam, the problem is they would not know what to do.

I recommend anyone really serious about this profession investigate programs before they spend money and time into them. Just because it is faster, it does not make it better or easier for you to get a job.

I suggest to ask if they are nationally accredited (not state certified, there is only about 300) as well as where and length of clinical time. Percentage of pass rates on certifying exams, and employment history of graduates.

Personally my EMS, we thoroughly review each candidate before we hire someone. Reviewing their education or lack of.. anyone that attends a "cook-book" type program; is basically disregarded before even the interview process unless they have had a medical license prior.

Again, you only get out of an Medic program what is put into it..

R/r 911

firecoins

IFT Puppet
my medic program is a year with classes 4 times a week and 2 rotations a week. Its quite the committment. I can't imagine anything shorter with the amount of material we have to learn.

Medic8388

Forum Ride Along
A college in Ga has a program they call "Street to Medic"(or something silly like that), which I believe takes about a year( pls dont quote me on that, not 100% on time). Now, I have known some good entry level medics from this program ( I believe these guys would have been great regardless of the program) On the other hand I've seen some total garbage from the program as well. People who have a hard time making a descision and have made mistakes(thank goodness medical control tends not to grant orders for the wrong medicine...). I'm about as found of the quick medic program as I am the online EMT-I program...BAH!

Katie

Forum Lieutenant
The course here is for eighteen months going right through the summer as well with class three days a week from eight to three. That doesn't count out of classroom work, a&p or any of the other prerequisite classes. I've heard of accelerated versions elsewhere (had one suggested to me), but seems like the amount of work would be crazy to really get it in and learn it all :ph34r:

VentMedic

Forum Chief
I've heard of accelerated versions elsewhere (had one suggested to me), but seems like the amount of work would be crazy to really get it in and learn it all :ph34r:

It depends on what the school is going to add to support the approx. 1000 hours minimum needed to sit for the paramedic exam. In Florida this is easily done in 6 - 7 months at the Medic Mills but the education is focused on going right down the "list of need to know" to meet minimal educational requirements and possibly pass the exam.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
my medic program is 1 year. We go to class 4 times a week. We do rotations 2x a week. I can't imagine going faster.

The A.A.S. medic program at a community college I considered was 2 years but that 2 years included the EMT class and A&P I & II as a part of the first year. And you weren't guaranteed a seat in the medic class portion if you didn't have 1 year of experience as an EMT. The certificate program part required the EMT as well plus experience. Classes in the medic portion was 3 days a week with rotations on top of that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Let's use an analogy... in some foreign countries, one can obtain their MD within 2 years (no previous college). How would you feel knowing that your physician only really had two years of college? But, hey they passed the boards right? ...

R/r 911

medic417

The Truth Provider

medic417

The Truth Provider
And both are substandard.....................

Actually met several out of tech pro and would take them over any I have met from any other Texas college or private school.

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
Actually met several out of tech pro and would take them over any I have met from any other Texas college or private school.

You either do not work around Paramedics that are worth a :censored::censored::censored::censored:e or have some really crappy schools in your area......................

You can have them. When a Paramedic cannot perform simplistic BLS skills (i.e. obtaining a freakin' blood pressure) and continuously repeats "I didn't learn that in school", it tells a lot about their education (or lack there of). The program is a waste of money, overpriced, and their ciriculum watered down to the bare minimum's. I have witnessed their methodology of teaching first hand and it is horrible. It is also, as previously stated, substandard.

A&M on the other hand has a great program, if you are fire based. They are without a doubt the 2nd best around (following OSU) when it comes to fire training and their EMS program is o.k., but their 10 week program is not in depth enough to produce a quality medic. Just my two cents worth, take it how you want.....................

medic417

The Truth Provider
Never met one of the TEEX guys worth spitting on. I have met many tech pro paramedics that put many experienced medics to shame. Guess depends on who you are meeting.

medic417

The Truth Provider
My understanding is that many of Tech Pro's people are involved with NR.

Also my understanding is they were invoved in accredidation process long before this possible requirement that still may get canned was announced.

I find it funny how some many people are afraid of a different method of education even though it has long been known that adults learn in different styles. What is important is that each person finds a method that works for the way they learn the best.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I am definitely not afraid of different techniques of teaching or providing education, however; I am very afraid of poor quality and lack of education as seen in our profession today.

In fact, I just assisted adding on-line programs for an accredited college EMS program, again not the methodology but the end product.

I don't care on how fancy or different techniques can be applied, one cannot absorb, retain, and demonstrate proficient levels after a 2 1/2 month course. Call it whatever one likes to call it; it is still a shake and bake program that can only produce cook book medics. The program listed is 624 hours, which barely meets NHTSA requirements. I am sure there are some intelligent persons that attend, but there is NO way to fully understand Paramedicine as it is needed in that short of period of time, unless one has previous formal education or experience prior to attending.

Again, those in EMS assume "education" is something new, and again let's compare what is required to become an "EMS Instructor".. oh, yeah another short cut.. 2 week program. Again, we require a B.S. or B.A. to teach Johnny to color, but; for a Paramedic a 40 clock hour course.. yes its ingenious!

For accreditation, let us not confuse that NREMT will NOT be the accrediting agency, nor will it be associated with the agency... again, that is not how education is performed, rather the institutions will have to be judged upon on its own merit and those that graduate will be able to take the NREMT/P test.

FYI: I have attached accredited programs in Texas
Texas... no shake and bake programs were listed:

Austin Community College - Austin, TX Loading...
Brazosport College - Lake Jackson, TX Loading...
College of the Mainland - Texas City, TX Loading...
Galveston College - Galveston, TX Loading...
Houston Community College System - Houston, TX Loading...
North Harris Montgomery Community College - Houston, TX Loading...
San Jacinto College - Pasadena, TX Loading...
San Jacinto College North - Houston, TX Loading...
South Plains College - Lubbock, TX Loading...
Tarrant County College - Hurst, TX Loading...
University of Texas Hlth Science Ctr at San Antonio - San Antonio, TX Loading...
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center - Dallas, TX Loading...
University of Texas-Brownsville and Texas Southmost College - Brownsville, TX Loading...
Wharton County Junior College - Wharton, TX

These programs have met the criteria as outlines by CAAHEP/ CoEMSP. These include qualified instructors, on site clinical instructors, appropriate library for studies and research, advanced simulator labs, and many other requirements.

Again, cleaning up our profession and those that teach it will be one of the first good points for the future.

R/r 911

medic417

The Truth Provider
R/r 911 I agree we need to clean up education of EMS professionals. The 2 month courses can not educate properly in my opinion either. I just see the need for more of the class/book part of EMS to follow the trend of other education and go online. This is not for all people. Myself it works best. For others not enough structure. South Plains College has started online EMS education as well. Tech Pro has led the way. It's founders are considered to be some of the toughest EMS educators out there.

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
As far as I'm concerned, to learn about para-medicine takes time and a good education. There is nothing wrong with that!

Zephyr

Forum Crew Member
I completed a 4-week long accelerated EMT-B course in May, got certified in one state, passed the National shortly after, and got reciprocity in another state in July. I'm currently in an accelerated 10-month Paramedic program at a university, and volunteering at two Ambulance Corps. The other day, I passed the FD's agility test to work for them as an EMT-B :)

Frank

Last edited by a moderator: