Accelerated Paramedic Program???

scottyd66

Forum Ride Along
I was wondering if anyone has attended or has any information on the accelerated paramedic program at Pelham Training in Bloomington, Indiana. It is a 3 1/2 month program(CRAZY) but is accredited and from talking with the staff run quite efficiently. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Check the CAAHEP site, no, its not accredited.

If it most places in the world require three (or more) years to become a Paramedic what in the bloody hell makes you think you can learn the same in three months ?

*Brown gets so mad he turns a deeper shade of orange than his "DOCTOR" jumpsuit ....

Whats that Oz? Its a go? RTA? Persons trapped? Phew, glad I got distracted from another one of those posts about the barely homeostasasing Parathinktheyare's and Medicfighters who want to go to a patch factory....

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
Three and a half months? Not even eleven months is good enough.

The closest community college to where I live, Howard Community College in Columbia, MD, offers an accelerated version of its paramedic program. Its regular paramedic program is similar to what I've seen offered at other MD community colleges. There's three semesters of core paramedic courses, and after the first two of those one is eligible to take the EMT-I exam. There's clinicals. A&P I and II are required, as is a lower-level biology pre-req for A&P I. There's also a math pre-req. And that's just for the certificate, the degree program obviously also has more.

The accelerated program fits all of that into 11 months. Actually, I'm not sure if that includes the pre-reqs or is just the paramedic core courses.

My EMT instructor, who is acquainted with one of the instructors (I believe the lead instructor), told me nobody has ever successfully completed the accelerated program, and it's probably going to go away. Everyone who ever tried it failed out at some point, and most of them switched to the normal program successfully.

I know there are other accelerated programs out there, but if a real paramedic education can't realistically be done in 11 months, then what is an even shorter program going to be? What's getting cut out? Why would anyone want to be the bare minimally-acceptable anything, especially something as critical as a healthcare professional?

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Brown wants to come to Maryland and become a "Cardiac Rescue Technician" :D

... shame the MSP use blue jumpsuits on the Trooper helicopters, I mean blue, come on.

Most programs I have seen are around ten months to a year and many of those do not include chemistry, biology, stand-alone anatomy, physiology, pathophysiology, pharmacology, English, research etc.

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
Brown wants to come to Maryland and become a "Cardiac Rescue Technician" :D

... shame the MSP use blue jumpsuits on the Trooper helicopters, I mean blue, come on.

Most programs I have seen are around ten months to a year and many of those do not include chemistry, biology, stand-alone anatomy, physiology, pathophysiology, pharmacology, English, research etc.

I've been pretty close to those guys inside hospitals where the lighting was bright, and their jumpsuits looked pretty black to me. Not dark navy, not midnight blue, but black.

pilot.jpg

...OK, I have to admit that in some of the photos (look at the Action Shots galleries at http://www.mspaviation.org/gallery_subframe.asp), they do look sort of bluish. But the ones I've seen in person all looked black.

Here's a photo I took myself, on Shock Trauma's H pad:
medium.jpg

And another:
medium.jpg

Aw heck, here's a link to the whole gallery: http://gallery.me.com/jjr512#100359

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Do you happen to have full resolution copies of Trooper 8 landing? I'd love to make that my desktop :p

medic417

The Truth Provider
Do you happen to have full resolution copies of Trooper 8 landing? I'd love to make that my desktop :p

Whacker.:p

And to the OP why waste 3 plus months when you can do it in 10 weeks at another school for even less money?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
OP
OP
S

scottyd66

Forum Ride Along

If it most places in the world require three (or more) years to become a Paramedic what in the bloody hell makes you think you can learn the same in three months ?

*Brown gets so mad he turns a deeper shade of orange than his "DOCTOR" jumpsuit ....

Whats that Oz? Its a go? RTA? Persons trapped? Phew, glad I got distracted from another one of those posts about the barely homeostasasing Parathinktheyare's and Medicfighters who want to go to a patch factory....

Mr. Brown thank you for the response to my question concerning this program... I realize the topic of these accelerated programs draws much negative attention and am not talking the program just to get a cert. I have worked as a heath care profession for 5 years(ALS and ER tech in Tier I trauma room South Central LA) so I do have a good strong foundation to build on. The program is accredited, and if you go the CAAHEP site you will see their name. What I am in seach for is anyone who may have gone to this school and through their program.

whatw14578

Forum Crew Member
as a person who has taken courses at Pelham Training in Bloomington, Indiana i can say they will get you ready. i hAd a good time at the school. but be ready. the boot camp programs are alot of hard crazy work. get all the sleep you can before you go because they will be drilling you with info and clinicals. i say go for it!

Epi-do

I see dead people
I know a few people that have done the basic program, but not the medic one. Rather than simply having an orientation time once they got out of class, they still had to do a lot of training, and it wasn't because they were incapable of doing the job. Anytime you take an accelerated you inevitable get short-changed. They simply have to leave alot of info out of the program, not to mention, you are covering info so quickly you just aren't going to retain a lot of it.

At one point I had heard they were going to do away with the accelerated medic program. Apparently not...

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Whacker.:p

And to the OP why waste 3 plus months when you can do it in 10 weeks at another school for even less money?

Ahh TEEX, the perpetual skidmark on the drawers of EMS in Texas...

To the OP, until a valid argument for accelerated programs is presented (and just a hint, "I worked in an ER" is not a "good foundation", chemistry, bio, A&P ect are good foundations) I think you will find an overwhelming negative attitude towards the cheapening of others hard work.

whatw14578

Forum Crew Member
haha. thats the funny part. the dont leave any out. you stay in class till you get it. trust me. but its worth the time and all. even more so if your ex miltary

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Personally, I think it's great that you can get your P-card in 10-12 weeks. Why, just think about it: You can get your EMT-B in HS, graduate, take the course, get hired by a FD, and be making 50-70k not even a year later! J/K :p

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief

It seems that the highest resolution I have of any of those is 1024x768, which is odd, because I thought I took them (as all photos I take) at higher resolution. Also, the photo isn't that great because it was taken through the window of the bunker door, and that was pretty scratched and dirty. Finally, since it was a cheap P&S camera with no control over things like shutter speed, the rotor appears nearly frozen, so it's like the helicopter is hovering in midair with rotors that aren't turning...

Anyway, here's a link to the best version of that I have: http://web.me.com/jjr512/images/mdsptrooper8landing.jpg

These next two photos, which were also in the album, were taken directly on the platform with nothing between me and the helicopters. So they're not "action" shots, but they're clearer. The first one is my favorite of the bunch:

http://web.me.com/jjr512/images/mdsptrooper8standbypad.jpg
http://web.me.com/jjr512/images/mdsptrooper1hotpad.jpg

(Actually I think that last one must have been taken through the bunker door window, but it's so clear that you really can't tell.)

You can also get these directly through the gallery. When you're looking at a single image (not the gallery of thumbnails), if you move the mouse pointer over the image a little box should pop up below the image, and the button at the left side of the box, which looks like an arrow pointing down at a line, is the "download" button. I'm sorry I don't have any higher resolutions, apparently, than what's there. I really thought I did...

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief

BSI

Forum Ride Along
They are operating on a waiver from the State of Indiana at the moment. Indiana requires all paramedic programs to be either accredited by CAAHEP or be in the process of being accredited with a waiver from the EMS commission. I have known a few people who attempted the program, none that have finished.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
I still want to know why this guy thinks he can take a couple month course and that will prepare him to become a competent advanced life support provider?

Let us look elsewhere internationally:

Canada requires at least three years of education for Advanced Care Paramedic,

New Zealand and Australia eachrequire four years of education for Intensive Care Paramedic,

South Africa requires two years of education for Emergency Care Technician (ILS) and four years for Emergency Care Practitioner (ALS/CCT),

The UK requires two years at University to become a State Registered Paramedic (ALS),

.... so how can you learn the same amount of material in three months?

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief

I like you more and more each day, Brown.