Academy Experirence?

Lo2w

Forum Captain
Curious about the experience others had going through orientation/academy for a 3rd service 911. Just interested on how it compares to mine.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
It was ok.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Ehhh, it was good in some way, and a waste of time in others. It would been great if the academy actually prepared me from how the agency operated in the field. Then again, if I didn't have such a lazy & ****ty FTO I probably would have been much more successful (and after I left, I heard this was a common complaint from other new people about this particular FTO).

I do think in general, academies (4-6 weeks long) are a great idea, as they help ensure that each new hire is taught the same content, and ensure that everyone knows "the agency's" way of doing things. This needs to be reinforced by the FTOs, and the FTOs also need to know what was covered in the academy, and also practice what the academy teaches when they have a new person and when they don't.

If they waste your time from trivial BS, than it's a failure on the agency (and yes, I know there is some mandatory stuff that needs to be covered). But it seems to work for many FDs, and works for many PDs, there is no reason why it shouldn't work for EMS agencies.

OP
OP
Lo2w

Lo2w

Forum Captain
Thanks.. I feel a bit of the same. Ours is 12 weeks and I feel it could be structured/presented in such a way that better prepared us to be better providers. As it is it seems largely to check the boxes and ensure everyone is taught the same and there's a paper trail for testing competency.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
My service uses the FTEP model.

I was a special hire, only one in my hiring group, which was a first for them. So I was 1-on-1 with my trainer. It made things very hands in and move much more quickly.

Then, on my first day on the road I injured my back and had to take a week on light duty. I used the time for area familiarization.