Academic History and Hiring Process

BobbyL

Forum Ride Along
Hello all! Long-time lurker finally here to join the community!

I am seeking employment as an EMT-B in Southern California and some applications ask for a college GPA.

Unfortunately, due to a few years of depression (later diagnosed), my academic performance dropped dramatically starting from the middle of my college career. I am wondering if companies ask for an official school transcript as part of the interview process, as my GPA does not fairly represent my capabilities.

I would hate for this to ruin my odds of getting hired. Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated, thank you.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Hello all! Long-time lurker finally here to join the community!

I am seeking employment as an EMT-B in Southern California and some applications ask for a college GPA.

Unfortunately, due to a few years of depression (later diagnosed), my academic performance dropped dramatically starting from the middle of my college career. I am wondering if companies ask for an official school transcript as part of the interview process, as my GPA does not fairly represent my capabilities.

I would hate for this to ruin my odds of getting hired. Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated, thank you.
First, welcome to EMTLife!

On many applications for EMS positions there is a spot for a GPA, but I honestly don't believe it's a significant factor when considering one for employment. Most places are looking for experience, and I'd even venture to say that they'd be happy that you have a college degree or are working towards one.

That said, this is a tough economy, and the game may have changed with so many applicants looking for jobs in California. If you experience challenges finding employment it most likely is due to the over-saturated market, not your GPA. I'd suggest going back to graduate school to bring up that GPA and further your education, or even going to Paramedic school if you're confident EMS is for you.

Again, I don't think a low GPA is a deal breaker by any means, I'd just have an explanation ready if they were to ask.

Good luck!

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I also don't think you need to report it unless you want to or specifically asked... It may be an element of an academic resume or curriculum vitae, but likely not an employment application for something in EMS aside from work in education.

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
did you finish school? do you have a degree? if you have a degree who cares about your gpa except graduate school? if you didn't finish college then your gpa still doesn't matter for a job app.

I have a degree from an alternative school and don't have a gpa, on all apps since graduation I leave the gpa box blank and list my degree as highest education received, and it's never even been questioned why I don't list a gpa.

Rescue911Medic

Forum Ride Along
I had a :censored::censored::censored::censored:ty college GPA and I just don't list it on job applications. You are protected by FERPA, don't forget. All they can do is verify your degree.

OP
OP
BobbyL

BobbyL

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for all the fast responses, guys. What a great community we have here!

MMiz, thank you for the welcome. I have considered your suggestion to continue my education. Working as an EMT for a few years was part of my general career/education plan. P.A. schools suggested I take this route to "buff-up" my competitiveness. Who knows, I might enjoy the field so much (already do after the ride alongs!) that I'd pursue a career as a paramedic once I gain enough experience.

Yes I have completed school and hold a Bachelor's in biology. The application I am trying to complete is an online application and GPA is a required field! How ridiculous is that?

I would wager the odds of their request to see an official transcript are slim as I am not sending in a graduate school application. Yet, I do not wish to submit a...more flattering GPA, if you catch my drift. But if I wish to be a candidate for their consideration...

After all the job applications I have completed both online and on paper, I have never seen GPA listed as a required field, save for my tutoring stint in the early years.

What would you guys suggest in this situation? True. Applying elsewhere is an option; but with the market so rough, a neophyte like me must cast a wide net and sell ourselves the best we can.

Last edited by a moderator: