About to start EMT Basic course

worldlygirl

Forum Ride Along
I am about to make the leap and start an EMT course.
I have always wanted to work in the medical field (I've been a teacher and personal trainer) and I've finally decided to commit and career change.
I have a few questions about the job. I've heard EMT's make over $24k a year and that shifts are usually 12 hours, Can you all tell me about your schedules?
How much time do you spend out on calls? Is it go, go, go? What if you hate your partner?
Thanks in advance!

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
:headdesk:

Anyone else wondering if we've got some sort of career discovery class coming to us?

To answer your questions, I personally make just over 28k, my shift is 4 11.5s a week, I've spent as little as 20 minutes on a call, and as long as 3.5 hours, on 911, not transfers. Sometimes it's go, go, go, and others you spend all shift chilling in the rig. Some areas hang out at a fire like station, others hang in the rig, ALL shift. If you hate your partner, well, if you hang in the rig, you have about 10 sqft of very stale air, and a very long shift. How much you make, and what kind of shifts depend on where you live, and where you work.

tatersalad

Forum Crew Member
Hello and welcome to EMTLife. I'm just starting my EMT course next week.

You will find that your stay here will be easier if you search prior to asking a question :)
I think there have been in depth conversations about all of you questions recently.

There are some great people here, who have a lot of experience and are willing to share it. Enjoy!

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Hello and welcome to EMTLife. I'm just starting my EMT course next week.

You will find that your stay here will be easier if you search prior to asking a question :)
I think there have been in depth conversations about all of you questions recently.

There are some great people here, who have a lot of experience and are willing to share it. Enjoy!

HEY KEV! Another one like you! A person after your own heart!!:p

tatersalad

Forum Crew Member

Desert Ranger

Forum Probie
I am about to make the leap and start an EMT course.
I have always wanted to work in the medical field (I've been a teacher and personal trainer) and I've finally decided to commit and career change.
I have a few questions about the job. I've heard EMT's make over $24k a year and that shifts are usually 12 hours, Can you all tell me about your schedules?
How much time do you spend out on calls? Is it go, go, go? What if you hate your partner?
Thanks in advance!

Some EMT's get paid over $50,000 a year. With my COLA after the first of the year, my base will be $64,000+. Plus the additional training as a wildland and structural firefighter. All of the training is paid. Get a job with a government agency. The pay and benefits are way better. Entry level GL-5 rangers are paid $38,000 base rate. In two years (GL-9)your base rate would be $58,000+ depending on where your duty station is. Schedules can be 5-8's, 5/4/9 or 4-10's.

Last edited by a moderator:

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Some EMT's get paid over $50,000 a year. With my COLA after the first of the year, my base will be $64,000+. Plus the additional training as a wildland and structural firefighter. All of the training is paid. Get a job with a government agency. The pay and benefits are way better. Entry level GL-5 rangers are paid $38,000 base rate. In two years (GL-9)your base rate would be $58,000+ depending on where your duty station is. Schedules can be 5-8's, 5/4/9 or 4-10's.

Is your job title EMT or is it Park Ranger with additional skill sets required (EMT, LE, FF)?

No, a sole EMT in the USA does not make that kind of money without working multiple jobs or tons of overtime. Just keeping it real for the newbies who do not know better.

But yes, I agree, Federal jobs are a sweet gig.

Desert Ranger

Forum Probie
Just laying out some options. I see a lot of complaining about pay. There are better options as an EMT-B than going with a private company. Some rangers don't carry weapons and have all the skill sets I have save the commission. Their pay is 25% less than mine. And most places where we work are really, really beautiful and park housing is relatively inexpensive.