• No

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Don't care

Votes: 13 44.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CANDawg

Forum Asst. Chief
Is there any way that the mods could add a gender field to the 'About Me' section of a user page? Not everyone on the forum has usernames that lend themselves to either M or F, and it might come in handy if you're writing a post and want to use a he/she or him/her.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
It is possible, but you're assuming that people will even fill it out and if they do it will be accurate.

I've attached a poll to this thread to see what the rest of the membership wants, and the Community Leaders will discuss it after the poll closes.

JPINFV

Gadfly
It is possible, but you're assuming that people will even fill it out and if they do it will be accurate.

I concur, but only if it's a custom field instead of a check box options.

618px-4tehlulz.jpg

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I second JPs movement

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
I concur, but only if it's a custom field instead of a check box options.

Seconded, but seriously.

[rant]Gender isn't sex, even sex comes in at least three categories (M/F/other), and no, you don't get to choose the acceptable gender options.
and if they do it will be accurate.
If they fill it out, it probably is accurate and it is literally impossible to demonstrate otherwise.
[/rant]

JPINFV

Gadfly
If they fill it out, it probably is accurate and it is literally impossible to demonstrate otherwise.
[/rant]
Gender can't be verified, but sex can be. I pity the admin who is assigned to the "sex verification email account."

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Gender can't be verified, but sex can be. I pity the admin who is assigned to the "sex verification email account."

That would be BBG.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member

I vote LnS since he just returned :D

OP
OP
C

CANDawg

Forum Asst. Chief

I'm more concerned about how this verification process would go down.

Are new members going to have to submit photos of the incriminating areas? :rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:

Achilles

Forum Moron
Serious: What about "other"

Why not just put the gender you were born or are in your current role.
And there shouldn't be an asterisks next to it as it should not be required to answer.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Why are everyone so fixated on this? It influences things, but let's minimize it. If you want to publicize your gender, put it where it says "website superchief" under your name.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Just call the poster what you think, they'll correct you if you're wrong.

I get a good feel for gender. Sometimes I'm wrong. I thought Firefite was a girl.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
I ain't verifying nothing

I vote no. I happen to know some females on this site who prefer it not be known they are female. The whole point of this site is to be a place where people can share as much or as little info as they feel comfortable with. I am against anything that might chip away at that anonymity. That said I do often wonder how our demographics break down.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Agreed, and don't get huffy if someone gets it wrong. Pick an avatar to give us a hint, or use your photo.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Then don't make it mandatory for site registration. If they don't want to disclose, then they don't have to.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Then don't make it mandatory for site registration. If they don't want to disclose, then they don't have to.

Here's the problem with that reasoning. Men almost always disclose, whereas woman won't. So if you see a "prefer not to answer" on this you can generally assume it is a female. This means they either have to lie and say they are male or not answer and have everyone assume they are female.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Seconded, but seriously.

[rant]Gender isn't sex, even sex comes in at least three categories (M/F/other), and no, you don't get to choose the acceptable gender options.
[/rant]

I always just assumed you were a female- bodied-individual.

This raises an interesting question, which I can move elsewhere. As EMS providers, what do you notate on a PCR for a patient who identifies as neither "male" nor "female"? Has anyone received formal training in queer issues in EMS? What about a patient in transition from male to female? Do your PCRs call for gender or sex?

OP
OP
C

CANDawg

Forum Asst. Chief
Here's the problem with that reasoning. Men almost always disclose, whereas woman won't. So if you see a "prefer not to answer" on this you can generally assume it is a female. This means they either have to lie and say they are male or not answer and have everyone assume they are female.

I think that's a pretty strong generalization. There are a number of female members here that I've noticed don't have any issue with identifying themselves as female at all. I'm also sure there are just as many men that would prefer to check 'Not Disclosed' as women. If we are having a rash of women who are afraid to select "female" on the question, perhaps we should look at how different sexes are treated in the community.

I agree with not making it mandatory, or if it is mandatory, including a "Not Disclosed" option.

Last edited by a moderator: