A weak stomach

fishyfish

Forum Crew Member
Before I got into EMS I had stomach problems but nothing as bad as it got! I ended up with stomach surgery that left me feeling the need to vomit 24-7 and in sever pain that comes and goes been this way for 2 years now. I take medicine to control the vomiting and being an EMT I will not take pain medication do to the driving. I have such an issue with it that I carry a vomit bag in my cargo pocket at all times. So far I have never vomited on a call. The bag in my pocket adds a secure feeling some the mental aspect of OMG im going to puke is suppressed. My Boss has only said one thing about it. Plan your eating habbits to your work days. If you must do it do it out of sight of the patient. Thank God that has never happened tho. My question is Do you guys feel this could cost me EMS? Or I just need to plan my eating carefully to my work days :sad:

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
There have been plenty of EMTs and medics who have thrown up while on a call. Horrible stenches, extremely nervous, even after a pt pukes. It happens.

I can only see it becoming an issue if you have a pattern of doing it.

titmouse

aspiring needlefairy
There have been plenty of EMTs and medics who have thrown up while on a call. Horrible stenches, extremely nervous, even after a pt pukes. It happens.

I can only see it becoming an issue if you have a pattern of doing it.

+1 I have gotten close to puking. I just got a small tub of vicks in order to diminish the bad smells.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
I passed out once. Luckily it was during my clinical time at the er so no pt care issues. Now the stuff does not bother me. It happens.

iamjeff171

Forum Crew Member
ive had a couple firefighters puke running in code on gnarly trauma calls. its great fun for all involved (except the FF, and the pt..)

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
It sounds like you have stomach issues beyond the typical "One time" stories we all have.

I would plan what you eat to ensure you're healthy and able to serve your patients in capacity they deserve.

Many times I've stopped myself from eating something because I knew I would have limited bathroom access. Other times I haven't and paid the price.

Good luck!

DocHolliday

Forum Ride Along
when if first started riding backwards if would constantly feel as if I was going to puke. A Sgt at the fire hall told me to chew spearmint gum. It seemed to help and eventually I got over it. I hope this may help in someway.