A quick thank you to ALS from your BLS friends

JPINFV

Gadfly
You say it's as simple as looking at my local set of protocols to know what I am and am not allowed to do. Maryland has one set of protocols for the entire state, which you can find here (top link on the page): http://www.miemss.org/home/default.aspx?tabid=106 So take a quick look at that. Now imagine removing all the labeling. Now imagine saying what you just said, that a provider should just look at the protocols to figure out what they're allowed to do and not allowed to do. Well the protocols include interventions like intubating and using lidocaine, and you've just told an EMT-B to look at the protocols to see what they can do. Brilliant!

1. I also said to look at your state's scope of practice. I'm personally a big fan on going to primary sources when possible. The fact that a teacher or supervisor instructed a provider on a point of local law or EMS policy (not counting company policy, but government agency policy) shouldn't be enough if that policy is readily available. This includes answering questions of scope of practice where the scope of practice is normally readily available online.

2. Arbitrary labeling system: ALS vs ILS vs BLS. Non-arbitrary labeling system: Paramedic vs AEMT vs EMT. I probably could have been a bit clearer on that.

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
1. I also said to look at your state's scope of practice. I'm personally a big fan on going to primary sources when possible. The fact that a teacher or supervisor instructed a provider on a point of local law or EMS policy (not counting company policy, but government agency policy) shouldn't be enough if that policy is readily available. This includes answering questions of scope of practice where the scope of practice is normally readily available online.

2. Arbitrary labeling system: ALS vs ILS vs BLS. Non-arbitrary labeling system: Paramedic vs AEMT vs EMT. I probably could have been a bit clearer on that.

I have never seen a document in Maryland that defines our scope of practice. I'm not saying there isn't one, but I am saying that I kind of suspect it doesn't exist. I've been all over the MIEMSS website (MD's EMS oversight/licensing agency) and although I've found the protocols and many other things there, I've never seen a "Scope of Practice" document.

I do believe I recall being taught in EMT-B class, though, that our scope of practice is our protocols. We are taught that we can do whatever is in that document that isn't labeled ALS.

And, OK, the advanced stuff isn't actually labeled "ALS". It's labeled with an icon, a cardiac wave in a circle. The legend says that this icon represents "Advanced Life Support Level Care". Is that better? Or would it actually make any difference at all if it said "Paramedic" or "For Paramedics Only" instead? I just don't see what difference it makes. Everyone in EMS should know what ALS means.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
I for one appreciate the thanks; I always tried to thank medics that helped to teach, and explain why something I was worried about wasn't anything to worry about: I was bad at the beginning with tachy patients that had fevers, could NOT get past the block that a temperature will make the HR go up, unless they are on drugs to keep the heart rate down.

As a basic I always tried to learn from the medics; but sometimes asking them questions (always after a run) would piss some of them off. So you learn fast who you can and can't ask.

On the reverse side of this; BLS providers need to try not to take things personnaly when ALS is trying to teach them or to help them to understand things.... especially if you ask for advice or feedback; yelling at the person afterward is not a great thing.