A quick thank you to ALS from your BLS friends

Amycus

Forum Lieutenant
It's always nice, and I think deserves more praise, when we call for an intercept with ALS, and they are friendly to us, even if they just triage back to us for transport.

There's too many ALS providers around here that make us either A.) Feel stupid, B.) Feel like we're wasting their time, or C.) Just outright insult us for having a high index of suspicion.

I appreciate the providers that teach us, and are willing to work with us.

I don't think this is said often enough- so I figured I'd put it here since we have so many ALS providers posting.

TacoMEDIC

Forum Crew Member
You're welcome :)

I always remember how I was as an EMT. It was nice when a Medic (or anyone) went out of the way to be kind, teach me something, praise, etc. I always do my best to pass it along.

beandip4all

Forum Lieutenant
Dear TacoMedic,

Nice username!

Love,
Beandip

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I love teaching Emts that want to learn, as when I was am EMT I loved those medics that did the same with me.

Alas those emts are seemingly rare, at least around here.

Bosco578

Forum Captain
I love teaching Emts that want to learn, as when I was am EMT I loved those medics that did the same with me.

Spoken like a true veteran.

Last edited by a moderator:

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
BLS before ALS.

Paramedics should always remember where they came from...

Ah, but there are some here—I'm not going to name names, but one of the people I'm thinking of is already participating in this thread—who feel that BLS should be nothing more than a bump on the road on the way to becoming an ALS provider. That EMT-B should only be something that you pass by and wave at on your way to becoming a Paramedic. That there's no point whatsoever in stopping for a moment at the BLS level and getting some experience first before taking the next giant leap to advanced care.

JPINFV

Gadfly
That there's no point whatsoever in stopping for a moment at the BLS level and getting some experience first before taking the next giant leap to advanced care.

Damn skippity if the paramedic schools would do their job properly. Of course I don't believe in labeling interventions as "ALS" or "BLS" either.

Pittsburgh77

Forum Crew Member
How about simply picking the best intervention for that specific patient instead of resorting to baseless categories?

ACTUALLY, I was referring to the fact you have to become an EMT before you can become an EMT-Paramedic. AND, like I said;;; medics should always remember where they came from.

SO, instead of attempting to make a stupid smart-*** comment on these forums for no apparent reason; why don't you read what what typed and possibly compare it to the original post.<_<

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
Damn skippity if the paramedic schools would do their job properly. Of course I don't believe in labeling interventions as "ALS" or "BLS" either.

I honestly have no idea what "Damn skippity" means.

I've never been through any paramedic school, but I've known and worked with a bunch, and I know where many of them went. The ones around here seem to be doing their job just fine.

And it doesn't matter to me what labels you give interventions. If you don't like "ALS" and "BLS" then call one of them "red" and the other "blue". Or use gold stars and silver stars. I really don't care. As long as providers at different levels know what they can and can't do, it doesn't really matter what labeling system you use, I suppose. It's just that using labels that directly correspond to who can do something seems to make really good sense, but some people aren't happy with things that make sense, I guess.

JPINFV

Gadfly
...because no one ever uses the cliche "BLS before ALS" to support an arbitrary order of treatment options?

...because somehow working as an EMT means that you have to respect EMTs forever without regard to the skill and knowledge held by that individual provider nor the simple concept of showing a base level of respect for all people? I'll submit that paramedics who act like douches have not, in fact, forgotten where they came from. In fact, said paramedic was always a douche and was simple able to come out of the douche closet now that s/he is a paramedic. Strangely enough, though, the concept of closet douchness is not unique to prehospital providers. In fact, there are unfortunately many loud and proud douche physicians. Finally, for the record, I do not own a bottle of Summer's Eve.

JPINFV

Gadfly
And it doesn't matter to me what labels you give interventions. If you don't like "ALS" and "BLS" then call one of them "red" and the other "blue". Or use gold stars and silver stars. I really don't care. As long as providers at different levels know what they can and can't do, it doesn't really matter what labeling system you use, I suppose. It's just that using labels that directly correspond to who can do something seems to make really good sense, but some people aren't happy with things that make sense, I guess.

Just curious... does anyone know if nursing divides up nursing procedures between "basic nursing support" for CNAs, "intermediate nursing support" for LVNs, and "advanced nursing support" for RNs? Additionally, why do providers need some sort of labeling system to know what procedures and interventions they're allowed to do and not allowed to do? Shouldn't it be as simple as looking at your local set of protocols and scope of practice to determine that?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
So long as no body starts using that "Paramedics save lives, EMTs save Paramedics" crap.

I don't bash EMTs. JPIN can probably school me in most things medical any day of the week, and he's 'just' an EMT. Lucid is one smart cookie, and she's 'just' an EMT... and CNA... and dispatcher... and Succubus.

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
...because no one ever uses the cliche "BLS before ALS" to support an arbitrary order of treatment options?
Tonight was the first time I've ever heard that expression, to be honest.

...because somehow working as an EMT means that you have to respect EMTs forever without regard to the skill and knowledge held by that individual provider nor the simple concept of showing a base level of respect for all people? I'll submit that paramedics who act like douches have not, in fact, forgotten where they came from. In fact, said paramedic was always a douche and was simple able to come out of the douche closet now that s/he is a paramedic. Strangely enough, though, the concept of closet douchness is not unique to prehospital providers. In fact, there are unfortunately many loud and proud douche physicians. Finally, for the record, I do not own a bottle of Summer's Eve.
In any profession, there will always be people at advanced skill levels that specifically target those in the same field but at basic skill levels. It's not that the advanced guys lack a base level of respect for all people, it's just that they're deliberately turning it off for a select group of people. The people who act like this are trying to lift themselves up, but they can't, so instead they push others down. This kind of thing often works best when you can find someone within your own profession or field of practice to target, so that's why that's done.

Just curious... does anyone know if nursing divides up nursing procedures between "basic nursing support" for CNAs, "intermediate nursing support" for LVNs, and "advanced nursing support" for RNs? Additionally, why do providers need some sort of labeling system to know what procedures and interventions they're allowed to do and not allowed to do? Shouldn't it be as simple as looking at your local set of protocols and scope of practice to determine that?
Nope, I don't know. In fact, I don't even know what an "LVN" is.

You say it's as simple as looking at my local set of protocols to know what I am and am not allowed to do. Maryland has one set of protocols for the entire state, which you can find here (top link on the page): http://www.miemss.org/home/default.aspx?tabid=106 So take a quick look at that. Now imagine removing all the labeling. Now imagine saying what you just said, that a provider should just look at the protocols to figure out what they're allowed to do and not allowed to do. Well the protocols include interventions like intubating and using lidocaine, and you've just told an EMT-B to look at the protocols to see what they can do. Brilliant!

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
OK, I'll bite.

LVN - Licensed Vocational Nurse, also known as Licened Practical Nurse.

My protocols are basically like this

EMT
Thing A
Thing B
Thing C

Paramedic - EMT Plus
Thing 1
Thing 2
Thing 3

Everyone knows what they can do without designating things using ALS and BLS.

gicts

Forum Lieutenant
It's always nice, and I think deserves more praise, when we call for an intercept with ALS, and they are friendly to us, even if they just triage back to us for transport.

There's too many ALS providers around here that make us either A.) Feel stupid, B.) Feel like we're wasting their time, or C.) Just outright insult us for having a high index of suspicion.

I appreciate the providers that teach us, and are willing to work with us.

I don't think this is said often enough- so I figured I'd put it here since we have so many ALS providers posting.

The reason I became a paramedic was because I was $*%@ on by several paragods and wanted to see just what being a paramedic consisted of.

I learned my lesson first hand and young- never treat your coworkers poorly. Just doesn't make sense.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
I work some great people they're not defined by class or certification.

I have the same respect for the cleaning lady that I do a sup, lieutenant or captain that shows up on scene.

We all have a job to do, you do yours, I'll do mine and we won't have any problems.

I don't shower my barber with praise cause he cuts my hair, just as I don't the medic who shows up on scene and sinks a tube.

I don't like attitudes certainly ones who diminish a person usefulness, Or their chosen career path that goes for doctors, nurses or my mailman, that's when we are going to have a problem.

You want to be a douche, expect to get called on it.

xrsm002

Forum Captain

I am one of those EMTs that loves learning new stuff, I also love teaching what I learn to others. I eventually want to end up in the Fort Worth area working 911, and because my 5 & 7 y.o nieces live there but am planning on getting some experience at a little bow slower agency, the reason is I want to get proficient at my skills. I do hope to get my paramedic one day.