a knock on the door

Mercy4Angels

Forum Lieutenant
go to answer the door and guy said he would have rang the bell but was missing a few fingers. i was like hu? looked down and his hand was in a bloody rag. jaw dropped. had fingers in ice. transported to hospital as fast as that E-450 could go. story he gave was working on his lawnmower he turned the blades underneath by hand and it started by itself. i cant believe the fingers werent chewed to bits. ironically the guy was fine the whole time. no sickness or passing out just a slightly high BP. nothing more...i was shocked and asked .....did that just happen ???B)

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I am surprised he even stopped. Most people only get "sick" due to they start thinking about the situation. As well, most amputations do not really bleed that extremely. When the vessels are sliced one has three muscles that act upon for constriction of blood vessels, the same as the 3 layers of the vein.. Tunica: intima, media, and adventitia. After a period of time.. the muscles will relax and then massive bleeding will occur.

Wondering why anyone would be working on a "lawn mower" in December though ?

R/r 911

oldschoolmedic

Forum Lieutenant
Rid, it was 72 and sunny here today, short sleeves and t-shirt weather. Not all of us live upon the frozen December tundra. Did call my brother to remark upon his high today of 34, his reply is unprintable for a family-style forum.

Merry Christmas to all of you. I will be working yet again this Christmas. Be safe.

FF/EMT Sam

Forum Lieutenant
OP
OP
Mercy4Angels

Mercy4Angels

Forum Lieutenant
me too but who am i to judge he lost his fingers and thats all i really needed to know.

WannaBEMT

Forum Crew Member
<_< hmmmmm........

Jenn

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Mercy4Angels

Mercy4Angels

Forum Lieutenant

WannaBEMT

Forum Crew Member
That was not where I was going:rolleyes:

Jenn

EMTdiva80

Forum Ride Along
interesting...i thought when you get your hands in a lawn mower it basically chops them up?? guess he got real lucky that all his fingers were saved...:unsure:

firecoins

IFT Puppet
you sure this guy just didn't owe someone some money he hasn't paid back?

OP
OP
Mercy4Angels

Mercy4Angels

Forum Lieutenant
hey anything is possible. the amputation was way too clean to be a lawn mower and if it was a lawn mower the finger would not have made it in my opinion. so for whatever reason he had to lie he did. my job isnt how it happened my job is fix what happened.

Nycxice13

Forum Lieutenant
I am surprised he even stopped. Most people only get "sick" due to they start thinking about the situation. As well, most amputations do not really bleed that extremely. When the vessels are sliced one has three muscles that act upon for constriction of blood vessels, the same as the 3 layers of the vein.. Tunica: intima, media, and adventitia. After a period of time.. the muscles will relax and then massive bleeding will occur.

Wondering why anyone would be working on a "lawn mower" in December though ?

R/r 911

In a clean cut amputation, that is what happens. In a violent amputation, the vessels don't constrict.

Nycxice13

Forum Lieutenant
hey anything is possible. the amputation was way too clean to be a lawn mower and if it was a lawn mower the finger would not have made it in my opinion. so for whatever reason he had to lie he did. my job isnt how it happened my job is fix what happened.

Thats another thing, most lawnmowers have it so you have to depress a bar on the handle in order for it to start.

Anomalous

Forum Lieutenant
Thats another thing, most lawnmowers have it so you have to depress a bar on the handle in order for it to start.

I've only seen 2 of these and both of them had the handle wired down. They both were smooth cuts that looked like a knife was used and the amputated part was not mangled. One was at a repair shop and witnessed so there wasn't much doubt how it happened.

Nycxice13

Forum Lieutenant
I've only seen 2 of these and both of them had the handle wired down. They both were smooth cuts that looked like a knife was used and the amputated part was not mangled. One was at a repair shop and witnessed so there wasn't much doubt how it happened.

I live in Brooklyn, most don't have lawns here. Just going by those I have seen and owned when I was little.