A good story

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Very nice! Thanks for the good news!

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
And so it shows while we're all in this to begin with...

You ever notice how the media likes to use EMT & Paramedic interchangably though? I know it doesn't mean much to the lay-person, but they should be clear about it to give the medics thier credit for all the extra education.

rescuecpt

Originally posted by Wingnut@Feb 27 2005, 11:45 AM
You ever notice how the media likes to use EMT & Paramedic interchangably though? I know it doesn't mean much to the lay-person, but they should be clear about it to give the medics thier credit for all the extra education.
Yeah... in Canada everyone is called a Paramedic they're basics, advanced etc... there is a girl here who is a basic paramedic and I keep getting confused when I read her posts.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Thanks to shows like Emergency and Third Watch, 90% of the population assumes that when they call 911 they get a paramedic. It's one of the misconceptions I try to correct when I teach First Aid/CPR to the public, but it's a losing battle.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by Wingnut@Feb 27 2005, 11:45 AM
Yeah, just a little :rolleyes:

In Israel they have Medics (BLS) and Paramedics (ALS).

and yes, shows like Third Watch showcase an unrealistic ideal world of 100% ALS - correct me if I'm wrong, Alex, but FDNY has EMT/Medic and BLS rigs, too, right?

Jon

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon@Feb 28 2005, 10:47 AM
and yes, shows like Third Watch showcase an unrealistic ideal world of 100% ALS - correct me if I'm wrong, Alex, but FDNY has EMT/Medic and BLS rigs, too, right?
I do believe you're right. Not sure on the mixed rigs, but I'm pretty sure they do run BLS ambulances in addition to the ALS.

On the other hand, I work in a system that IS almost 100% ALS. My fire department is the ONLY one in the county that runs BLS ambulances (LAFD used to run both ALS and BLS ambos, but I believe they've all changed over to ALS now). So, whenever we get on-scene, everyone assumes we're medics. The scary part is when we get to the ER, they assume it too, and we're often questioned why we didn't start a line or intubate a PT.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by SafetyPro@Mar 1 2005, 12:58 PM
The scary part is when we get to the ER, they assume it too, and we're often questioned why we didn't start a line or intubate a PT.
so I guess you can tube them - you won't get caught :rolleyes:

As for FDNY - my ony qiestion is if they run a "limited mic" (to use the philly phrase) 1 EMT / 1 Medic or if it is some busses are BLS, and some are ALS, but the BLS providers don't mix with the ALS providers.

rescuecpt

To my knowledge (from talking to Alex) they do all three... BLS/BLS, BLS/ALS, ALS/ALS.

Phridae

Forum Asst. Chief
Originally posted by ffemt8978@Feb 27 2005, 12:35 PM
Thanks to shows like Emergency and Third Watch, 90% of the population assumes that when they call 911 they get a paramedic. It's one of the misconceptions I try to correct when I teach First Aid/CPR to the public, but it's a losing battle.
I agree. When we get someone into the back of the rig sometimes they're like "This isnt like what I saw on TV last week..." I still watch 3rd Watch and other shows, but I find myself going "That would so not happen!" or "How fake is that?!" Which is why I have to watch these shows by myself now. :(

I think medics get too much glory. At least around here. For our new promotional products, lanyards or whatever they are, they said "DRSI Paramedic Services" But we also have basics. When people send thank-you notes, they almost always thank the medic. Never the basic or the I that was there too. (we run als/bls)
I think our products should say "DRSI Amublance Service" But thats just me, I suppose. <_<

CodeSurfer

Forum Captain
As I understand it... If you call 911 you will always get at least 1 paramedic (if not 3) then they can call for a BLS to transport if the patients condition doesnt warrant ALS transport, or if it was an engine company that responded.

Does anyone know how this works as far as the rules on abandonment? I was under the impression that you always need to transfer care to someone equal or higher than you... ex: BLS to ALS... BLS to BLS... ALS to Nurse etc. So how could ALS transfer care for transport to a BLS rig? Maybe some exception made there?

The only 911 calls you get on a private BLS (soon to be the only BLS) ambulance out here are downgraded 911 calls. Someone corect me if I'm wrong.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by CodeSurfer@Mar 2 2005, 11:11 AM
As I understand it... If you call 911 you will always get at least 1 paramedic (if not 3) then they can call for a BLS to transport if the patients condition doesnt warrant ALS transport, or if it was an engine company that responded.

Does anyone know how this works as far as the rules on abandonment? I was under the impression that you always need to transfer care to someone equal or higher than you... ex: BLS to ALS... BLS to BLS... ALS to Nurse etc. So how could ALS transfer care for transport to a BLS rig? Maybe some exception made there?

The only 911 calls you get on a private BLS (soon to be the only BLS) ambulance out here are downgraded 911 calls. Someone corect me if I'm wrong.
MY understanding here in the commenwealth of Pennsyltucky is that if you aren't providing / need to provide ALS care to the patient, releasing to BLS is fine and legal. Remember everyone is an EMT, some just happen to be EMT-P. If all the pt. needs is BLS skill set, why tie up the limited advanced provider?

long story short - negligent / abandonment to BLS release the intubated code with IV fluids. The body after command has given permission to stop resusitation going BLS only is fine.

Gerealizations: The Pt. with Chest Pain is ALS, the patient with finger pain is probably a BLS release.

Jon

rescuecpt

As long as ALS interventions are not needed I can transfer care to BLS in NY State. I am cautious with that, however to cover my own hide, but I have done it on occasion when we wanted to free up a second crew incase we got another call or if we WERE on two calls and the first was toned as BLS and second as ALS (but since we HAVE to go to our first call first no matter what it is, i go there, check it out, then hop in the 2nd ambulance or the fly car to head to the other call).

emtal233

Forum Crew Member
Originally posted by rescuecpt@Mar 1 2005, 02:19 PM
To my knowledge (from talking to Alex) they do all three... BLS/BLS, BLS/ALS, ALS/ALS.
Acutally the busses in NYC are 2 EMT's and 2 Medics, on our interfacility division it's either 2 EMT's or EMT/Medic.... :D