911 calls released to public?

minneola24

Forum Lieutenant
Reaction score
Do you guys think that 911 calls should be released to the public?

After listening to the Michael Jackson and Billy Mays 911 call I was a bit confused. If I were ever to call 911 I don't think I would want it put on the internet for everyone to hear.

What do you guys think, should 911 calls remain in the dispatch center?

First, off, unless you're famous, your 911 call would never be released anyway. But, no, 911 calls shouldn't be released.

Why?

They aren't public information, and the public has no reason to listen to them.

First, off, unless you're famous, your 911 call would never be released anyway. But, no, 911 calls shouldn't be released.

Local news releases 911 calls for any notable event in my area. Anything from calls about major accidents closing highways to shootings. I don't see a need for them to be released but I don't have a problem with it as long as it's done tastefully and with respect for the individuals involved.

I've heard 911 calls being played left and right on the news from non celebrity's. One that I remember vividly was the lady that was being attacked from the chimpanzee and her friend was crying for help.

I've heard 911 calls being played left and right on the news from non celebrity's. One that I remember vividly was the lady that was being attacked from the chimpanzee and her friend was crying for help.

That's another example of when it would happen. I believe they were contacted and gave consent prior to it being released....

Stupid calls get released all the time too (like the lady that wanted the cops to come out and take a report because a certain fast food place wouldn't make what she wanted, even though what she wanted was from a competitor)

If autopsy reports are public record, which they are in many jurisdictions and the federal government (AFIP), I see no reason why a 911 call should be any different. It's a government work product and there is no ruling that determines what someone says to a police/fire/EMS dispatcher is any way confidential (with a few exceptions, the big one I am aware of is HIV status).

If autopsy reports are public record, which they are in many jurisdictions and the federal government (AFIP), I see no reason why a 911 call should be any different. It's a government work product and there is no ruling that determines what someone says to a police/fire/EMS dispatcher is any way confidential (with a few exceptions, the big one I am aware of is HIV status).

Apart from the legal side I think that if someone I knew was dying and my last hope was to call 911 I would be in a position that would be unexplainable and wouldn't want that to be recorded and put up on the net, that's just me however.

***double post***

Last edited by a moderator:
Apart from the legal side I think that if someone I knew was dying and my last hope was to call 911 I would be in a position that would be unexplainable and wouldn't want that to be recorded and put up on the net, that's just me however.
What do you mean the "legal side"? It's not a protected communication in most jurisdictions.

That said, I agree I think it is a touch ghoulish unless there is something to really be learned from a particular recording (or if the person is really deserving of being made fun of such as the lady with the fast food complaint).

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I said apart from the legal part because you said if an autopsy can be made public why not a 911 call.

Why?

Wrong. In most states, 911 tapes are in fact public record; part of the state's open record laws including Texas. However, many have safeguards in place to protect information such as the identification of a juvenile, identification of a person reporting a crime whereby they could be subject to retaliation, etc.

And thank goodness the public is allowed to listen to these tapes. Remember that horrible Georgia 911 dispatcher a couple years ago?

Why?

police calls are considered public. So if you have a police dept dispatching you, guess what? Those 911 tapes can be requested with FOIA.

Public funds are used to create and run 911 (using taxpayer money to pay salary, equipment etc) therefore, it is considered public irregardless what you think. Only time it can be delayed is if it is needed for a court case.

Do I think it should be public? Yep. I'm paying for it, if I want to listen to a call, then I have every right to do so.

Public funds are used to create and run 911 (using taxpayer money to pay salary, equipment etc) therefore, it is considered public irregardless what you think. Only time it can be delayed is if it is needed for a court case.

Do I think it should be public? Yep. I'm paying for it, if I want to listen to a call, then I have every right to do so.
Yes hockey, but I think the point some are trying to make is when should you draw the line? Do you get to hear the whole thing? With names and confidential medical information redacted?

You're paying for the military's phone lines too, but I doubt you would argue that everyone should get to listen to the pentagon and their communications with the ranking general on tomorrow's top secret plan to remove the nuclear missiles from a north korean silo.

Yes hockey, but I think the point some are trying to make is when should you draw the line? Do you get to hear the whole thing? With names and confidential medical information redacted?

You're paying for the military's phone lines too, but I doubt you would argue that everyone should get to listen to the pentagon and their communications with the ranking general on tomorrow's top secret plan to remove the nuclear missiles from a north korean silo.

You all need to pay more attention to your state's open record laws. As I stated in my earlier post, identifying information such as when someone is reporting a crime is removed in most states. Other's omit juvenile information and some omit all caller identification entirely.

Are you that naive to compare 911 tapes to top secret military communications that could jeopardize national security? A poor comparison, my friend.

Your tax dollars pay for medicare and medicaid as well. Do you want access to their health records? You want a list of patients treated every shift as well? I mean, your tax dollars partially supported the EMS provider.

When it comes to medical 911 calls, I'm erring on the side of privacy, for the patient's and family's sake.

Are you that naive to compare 911 tapes to top secret military communications that could jeopardize national security? A poor comparison, my friend.

I think he was just related the two responding to the post saying that whatever the public pays for we should be able to hear/listen/watch.

Back