53 year old female - am i too old?

justcindy

Forum Ride Along
This is my situation. I am a female, turned 53 yesterday, and was RIFed from my administration job at a major Medical School on June 1. Good salary, 57K, which I don't expect to make again any time soon. I am physically fit, and present as someone in their mid-40's.

I am really drawn to the EMT field. I had worked with handicapped folks in my early 20's but the money was so bad, I got out of it. I am thinking of taking EMT classes, although some of the threads here say just go right to the ambulance companies themselves. I am located south of Boston, so the Fallon Ambulance company would be ideal (just sayin') ...

I want to know if this idea is even possible to become reality? I'm not looking for those "it's never too late" comments .. I really want to know what my chances of getting hired in this field given my age. I just signed up for unemployment, and want to train in something I think I'd love. I think this is it, but don't want to waste what little money I have left in savings.

Thanks to you all .. I appreciate your (honest) feedback. (I just realized I could fit TWO equal employment requirements, lol)

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
We have a paramedic at the agency I work at that's in his late 50s early 60s. Started in EMS about 2 years ago. Job before that was not EMS related in the least.

Is he a rarity? Yes. Working EMS, specifically 911 although IFT does plenty of lifting as well, is physically demanding, no if ands or buts about it. I'm not saying you aren't able to keep up, just throwing it out there.

You have the deck stacked against you trying to get into a field with an overabundance of young able-bodied people willing to work crap hours for dirt wages. With that said, like the example I gave above, anything is possible.

I'll be the guy to ask the question. Are you wanting to do this to support yourself and your family or are you doing it as a "hobby" or "time-filler"? Not a bad thing at all if you are but as an EMT-B you aren't going to make anywhere near 57k a year unless you work for a FD and at your age that's not really a possibility, no offense intended.

OP
OP
J

justcindy

Forum Ride Along
Thanks NVRob. and please DON'T worry about being honest, I won't be offended. (Same to anyone else responding).

I am single so I don't have a family to support. I think if I can make close to 40K I'll be okay .. and I realize that probably won't even happen for a while. I have a little money backing me up and just want to get the hell out of academia. I've always been on the edge of the medical field, and am just really drawn to this EMT idea. I am not thinking firefighter/EMT at all, and I figured that would be an age and physical fitness issue. (I AM in great physical shape so generally lifting shouldn't be a huge issue). I DO realize I could never compete with even a mid-30's year old guy.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
At the EMT-B level the average salary is 25-35k a year depending on which source you use. There are the rare places you can make more but generally you are going to have to be at the Paramedic level to make >40k a year without working ridiculous OT.

Working as a full time EMT-Intermediate for a 911 agency I make ~ 30k/year + benefits (which are valued at 5-10k per year depending on which package I choose) with reasonable OT. 48 hr work weeks with a 12 hour OT shift every other week or so. Paramedics at my agency base salary is ~43k a year + benefits. We have medics that make >60k a year but they work a decent amount of OT shifts.

I'm not trying to scare you off by any means. I love my job and wouldn't trade it for the world. If it's something you want I say go for it. It is a very competitive job market though. Just trying to give you some info.

OP
OP
J

justcindy

Forum Ride Along
Thanks again NV. Actually my Cobra will be running me 600/month until I get a new job, so the benefits will make a big difference. Lots for me to think about.

Any other comments from you or anyone else really appreciated.

legion1202

Forum Lieutenant
I dont see why you won't get a job. Its not all about being young I think some companies want to see bright people working for them. Study you butt off you may not be as young as most of there applicants but you can be one of the smartest.

I do not know how much emts make up here (i`m looking for a medic job) but I dont think it will be 40k a year unless there is a lot of OT.

EMT is 3 mo's long. Do it... its not 2 years like medic school is.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
You will struggle to get by on an EMT's salary, but with a background in academia, could you do sometime on the side to supplement your income?

I'm a relatively fit 33 yo woman in a fire-based EMS system. I am ALWAYS bruised up. Always lifting, and except for a left-over knee injury, I'm fine.

You MUST use good lifting techniques, and sometimes you have to push against the "easier" way that your partners might want to do. I might even recommend that you consult a trainer or a PT to give you some lifting advice.

You can do this, and it's really fun. It's a great job.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
One one level, treat it like any other job. Research (other than here), especially local companies.

On another, tell them you are going/about to enter training and ask about their hiring standards (physical, education) and what they place the most value upon. (You will not be able to get certified through on-the-job training). Don't downplay any job skills, you may have something they want in another direction (dispatch, accounting, admin stuff I don't even know about?); if later you want to go for it, then you have a leg-up.

Pickings are lean, jobs are scarce versus applicants and it is a new type of endeavor for you. I have no idea what classes cost, but it would be a leap of faith.

PS: look into job retraining, loans and placement help from your state etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

MedicPam

Forum Probie
I'm one of the older medics here, 41...but I have personally worked with several EMTs who are well into their late 50s and a couple who retired out in their early 60s who were worth more than their weight in gold in our very busy 911 system. Lifting and moving patients is about being healthy and using proper techniques, and keeping yourself healthy. But you might be able to give something even more valuable, your life experience in dealing with people, your ability to understand directives and carry them out, and many other talents you might being from life and prior employment. These things can be a gift to any medic (or EMT) partner. Don't be discouraged...some of the younger applicants won't have those skills yet and you can use those to a remind a potential employer why you're right for the job. EMS needs a balance of maturity. Good luck with whatever path you take.