41 YOM - Traumatic Arrest - Obvious Death or Begin Resuscitation?

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
had this call about a week ago now and its been bugging me.

Story:

41 y/o male, found supine on ground post gunshot to left chest. Patient was working under his car when someone walked up and shot him at close range. Called in by a bystander no further info could be obtained on-scene.

When my partner and I arrived, the BLS unit had already begun CPR and c-spine.

Assessment:

-Pulseleness Apneic.
-Single GSW to left chest, roughly one inch inferior and medial to the the left nipple.
-No exit wound
-Absolutely no blood from the wound or anywhere for that matter.
-Possible non-tension hemo-pnuemothorax to left side.
-Idioventricular PEA on the monitor at a rate of <20 complexes per min.

Since CPR was already started, in the NYC 911 system, you must continue until a physician takes over either via telemetry or hospital and takes responsibility for pronouncement.

We ran it as a PEA arrest,

EJ to the left jugular, giving vasopressin followed by Q5 epi.

Tubed the patient no problem, frothy pink secretions in tube (hence hemo-pnuemo)

CPR throughout.

We gave a notification to the trauma hospital and upon arrival they took over CPR for about 3 minutes until the trauma surgeon walked in gave the "We're done here" look once he saw where the wound was and they called it.

My question is, would you have arrived on-scene and began CPR, or would you call it an obvious death and write up a pronouncement on-scene, leaving the crime-scene in tact as well.

The shirt had burn marks on it, the wound had no bleeding leading me to believe immediate cessation of blood flow. The bullet was directly in the anatomical location of the left ventricle and probably went through to the left lung.

What would you have done if you were first on-scene?

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrZHPOeOxQQ[/YOUTUBE]

*ahem*

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I would have worked him, but not transported. Given the location of the wound and the PEA it is very likely that there massive damage to the heart. Since I don't have an ultrasound on scene I can't prove that, but if we don't get anywhere after 3 rounds we're done.

And c-spine????

Last edited by a moderator:

Smash

Forum Asst. Chief
He's dead where he lays, it's not appropriate to attempt resus.

And I'll second the "huh?" when it comes to c-spine.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
DId you take c spine because it was a gsw?

Where I work we would call it right there.

OP
OP
N

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
In NYC C-spine is a requirement for any penetrating trauma to the thorax. Its really annoying to be honest.

I wanted to get on the horn to pronounce but my partner said it didn't qualify for obvious death... I thought it was pretty obvious lol.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
In my system, barring size/distance/time challenges, we need asystole to halt resuscitation.

SanDiegoEmt7

Forum Captain
No c-spine,

For us ALS gets to re-evaluate the indications for CPR regardless of first responder actions.

For us that wouldn't qualify as injuries incompatible with life (decapitation, brain matter showing, entire body charred etc.)

PEA less than 20 gets transported only if we are within 10 minutes of a hospital. (asystole gets 1 min of CPR if its still asystole after that its terminated, all other rhythms are transported)

Smash

Forum Asst. Chief
In NYC C-spine is a requirement for any penetrating trauma to the thorax. Its really annoying to be honest.

That is annoying.

I wanted to get on the horn to pronounce but my partner said it didn't qualify for obvious death... I thought it was pretty obvious lol.

What, the fact that he is dead doesn't qualify as obvious death? :rofl:

EDIT:

I thought I should throw in some references, just because I haven't for a while. C-Spine for penetrating trauma is not just dumb, it is probably harmful. For this case, it is probably a moot point, however it is still bad: "The number needed to treat with spine immobilization to potentially benefit one patient was 1,032. The number needed to harm with spine immobilization to potentially contribute to one death was 66"

Pretty poor numbers there.

Spine Immobilization in Penetrating Trauma: More Harm Than Good? Haut et al, Johns Hopkins. J Trauma 68(1): 115-121, 2010.

Transporting traumatic arrests is also bad: The consequences of noncompliance with guidelines for withholding or terminating resuscitation in traumatic cardiac arrest patients. Molberg et al, J Trauma, 2011

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
For us that wouldn't qualify as injuries incompatible with life (decapitation, brain matter showing, entire body charred etc.)
While in most systems that's the case, a bullet that sounds like it fairly neatly transacted the LV is pretty much incompatible with life.

I think a pretty good case could be made for at least phoning a doc.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Assessment:

-Pulseleness Apneic.
-Single GSW to left chest, roughly one inch inferior and medial to the the left nipple.
-No exit wound
-Absolutely no blood from the wound or anywhere for that matter.
-Possible non-tension hemo-pnuemothorax to left side.
-Idioventricular PEA on the monitor at a rate of <20 complexes per min.
doesn't scream obvious death to me. really bad, yeah, likely to die, probably, should I call a priest for him for last rights, I would think so.

brain matter showing, decapitation, rigor mortis, asystole in 3 leads with pupils fixed and dilated pupils are those signs of obvious death. This guy, although he sounds really messed up, probably wouldn't qualify (although as the trauma surgeon said, even in a trauma center was beyond care), but that's the doctor's call as they have more flexibility than a medic in what they can do.
The shirt had burn marks on it, the wound had no bleeding leading me to believe immediate cessation of blood flow. The bullet was directly in the anatomical location of the left ventricle and probably went through to the left lung.
PEA is pulseless electrical activity. so the heart isn't pumping (hence the CPR), but it is still sending signals to try to get it to pump. that could have explained the cessation of blood flow, because the heart wasn't pumping.
I was taught the same thing back in the 90s. the latest edition of PHTLS says it's no longer needed, but I still see many many experienced EMTs and paramedics still doing it. But I would have still put him on a board to aid in carrying him to the cot and transfer him to the ER bed, if we were going to transfer him.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I'm with usalsfyre on this one.

Call a doctor and get termination orders.

rmabrey

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm with usalsfyre on this one.

Call a doctor and get termination orders.

And hope they let you. My partner and I worked a GSW worse than this and the doc made us intubated and do a round of CPR.

Long story short we got our butts chewed cause we didn't load and go. Only cause we were part of the crime scene for 3 hours.

It was a catch 22. Load and go and disrupt a crime scene, work it and disrupt a crime scene. We really had no desire to do either. We wanted the call it option

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

OP
OP
N

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
And hope they let you. My partner and I worked a GSW worse than this and the doc made us intubated and do a round of CPR.

Long story short we got our butts chewed cause we didn't load and go. Only cause we were part of the crime scene for 3 hours.

It was a catch 22. Load and go and disrupt a crime scene, work it and disrupt a crime scene. We really had no desire to do either. We wanted the call it option

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

We load and go'd and did it all enroute mostly. But still, regardless of it not being the standard obvious death, and technically his EKG was still viable as his heart was giving off some form of conduction, we all know there is no hope for you if a bullet goes directly through your heart...

Pretty messed up is surviving 5 GSWs around the body, FUBAR is a bullet directly through the heart.

ETCO2 was 10mmhg throughout by the way. So lungs were decently viable too.

Veneficus

Forum Chief

A penetrating traumatic arrest without blood products and surgery?

C-spine was a waste of time, efforts.

ACLS algorythm was a waste of time and materials.

I think you may have been brainwashed in with ACLS to the point of not understanding the obviousness of the truth.

If you have a big hole in a pump and pipe system, constricting the pipes doesn't help. Playing with the electrical machinery running the pump doesn't help, increasing the rate of the pump doesn't help.

Plugging the hole helps.

I have seen 1 patient salvaged with a 12g slug through the left ventrical.

The instructions from med command included: "put your finger in the hole and get here asap" (the squad was about a minute down the street from the level 1)

Upon arrival a left thoracotomy with extension was performed in the ED. With the trauma surgeon (the same one who I saw stop a carotid artery wound bleed with a foley catheter) sewing a heart flap around my finger while infusing 4 units of O negative prior to going to the OR.

You now see the problem with cookbook medicine.

HMartinho

Forum Lieutenant
doesn't scream obvious death to me. really bad, yeah, likely to die, probably, should I call a priest for him for last rights, I would think so.

brain matter showing, decapitation, rigor mortis, asystole in 3 leads with pupils fixed and dilated pupils are those signs of obvious death. This guy, although he sounds really messed up, probably wouldn't qualify (although as the trauma surgeon said, even in a trauma center was beyond care), but that's the doctor's call as they have more flexibility than a medic in what they can do.
PEA is pulseless electrical activity. so the heart isn't pumping (hence the CPR), but it is still sending signals to try to get it to pump. that could have explained the cessation of blood flow, because the heart wasn't pumping.I was taught the same thing back in the 90s. the latest edition of PHTLS says it's no longer needed, but I still see many many experienced EMTs and paramedics still doing it. But I would have still put him on a board to aid in carrying him to the cot and transfer him to the ER bed, if we were going to transfer him.

Congratulations for your excellent post. Lesions of this man, in my view, despite being highly critical, and the probability of survival is extremely low, does not mean that their injuries are incompatible with life.

I play at, this man has a probable injury hemopneumothorax, and/or cardiac tamponade. I know that the Portuguese system and American system are different, but the approach here would be: (I'm in a ILS unit - me and my partner(nurse)):
- CPR with endotracheal intubation
- Start an IV
- start a rapid infusion of saline
- give Epinephrine / vasopressin
- request an immediate backup of ALS rapid response unit/ALS helicopter for possible pericardiocentesis, thoracotomy or chest tube insertion .
- After a possible stabilization, transport immediately to a advanced trauma center, with advanced medical and surgical facilities.

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
In 99% of my response area I would have called him at scene after 20 minutes of effort including decompression of the left chest to rule it out. If i had transported, patient would have been on a backboard but not for spinal precautions, but to make compressions more effective as CPR on a gurney matress is all but useless.

imadriver

Forum Crew Member
In my system we'd probably have to run him regardless. We aren't but tops 15 minutes from a hospital 95% of the time anyway. Trauma Alert / Trauma Code him, grab and go. Back board for compressions, C-Collar for airway.

In order to stop compressions we'd have to call a doc since they were started by a healthcare provider. The doc may call it because of the shots location, but remember especially with ribs, that bullet may of bounced off a rib, went down hitting a lung along towards the abdominal cavity. Could've coded from respiratory issues, not a bullet in the heart.

With my protocols and system, we would have ran it.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
but remember especially with ribs, that bullet may of bounced off a rib, went down hitting a lung along towards the abdominal cavity. Could've coded from respiratory issues, not a bullet in the heart.
Speaking from both a medical and firearms stand point, it is extremely unlikely a contact distance gun shot of any decent cartridge wound would "bounce" off of anything in the body. The energy it carries at close distance is simply too great for a bone to divert.

With my protocols and system, we would have ran it.
In most systems this is going to be the case, right or wrong.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
see, this is an example of obvious death, where CPR should probably not be started:
funny-cpr.jpg