3rd NREMTB attempt

OP
OP
DSemt54

DSemt54

Forum Probie
you pretty much got everything, but for rule of 9 know whats what on the adult and child, ie both sides of the chest is 18, arms are 9 each, ect ect. and palms are 1 each
i got asked this on both tests and got it right the second time around. know the difference between superficial and partial thickness burns (blisters) and how to treat. remove jewlery or no?

know how to triage hypothermic patients, elder or infant first? (of course this depends on the condition thats presented)
on an OB patient when do you deliever vs transport? prolapse cord, limb presentation, breech...know what to do. suction the mouth or the nose first?
what amount of vaginal bleeding is "normal"?

you seem like you really know it, its just getting through the test.

Depends on their core temp, tricky, because Elders AND infants can become hypothermic quickly,
Prolapse,Limp-Transport RLS, LLR, Hips elevated, Breech, Attempt to deliver, If the head doesn't deliver, Enter a gloved hand (V) and open an airway for the baby and transport.
Baby's and infants are obligated Nose breathers so suction the mouth first to avoid aspiration.

I went threw a very tough program, I know a lot of information and i have no problem regurgitating facts, But I really suck at test, I over think the situations. =/

8jimi8

CFRN
Massage the fundus, Correct?

call medical control. is the best answer out of those choices (besides drive faster lol)

never put anything in the vagina. (while on shift)

UNLESS, you can see a portion of the umbilical cord protruding, or you see foot hanging out. An arm would be questionable, but the correct answer is still "contact medical control"

8jimi8

CFRN
Hey Everyone,

I failed the NR twice, I came really close both attempts.
Can someone please refer me to a NR study book I can purchase at a local Barnes n nobles that will adequately prepare me for the NR.
(Kaplan sucks.)
And also if you know any good websites that offer situational questions like the NR please let me know :3

Your help is very appreciated, I do not want to fail again, I feel very stupid already. :sad:

Regards,
D :ph34r:

you should look toward attending a testing review class. I took the "Hurst Review" (this is a nursing school review/ nursing licensure examination prep course) on day five of the hurst review, class ended and I went and took my NREMT-Basic CAT. The reason i mention the review class is because they go IN-DEPTH about testing strategies. You already know ABC's! 90% of the test is ABC's. You have to begin to understand what the test wants you to think about first. They want you to think about, what is going to kill the patient first, or Is there NOTHING that I can do now, that will definitively treat the patient's condition (in the case that you cannot, a rapid transport, or ALS intercept is the correct answer)... BUT you ALWAYS GO BACK TO ABC's!

anyway...

take a testing prep-course, don't try to study it on your own. Get with some professionals who have studied the exams and have an intimate knowledge of proper testing strategies.

Last edited by a moderator:

AVPU

Forum Lieutenant

Gotta love EMT humor. LOL!

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
call medical control. is the best answer out of those choices (besides drive faster lol)

UNLESS, you can see a portion of the umbilical cord protruding, or you see foot hanging out. An arm would be questionable, but the correct answer is still "contact medical control"

You don't need to contact medical control for vaginal bleeding post-delivery. You put a pad against (but not in) the vagina to soak up the blood, and massage the fundus. A certain amount of bleeding is to be expected.

Neither EMTs nor Medics are authorized to deliver a limb presentation in the field. A Medic can deliver a frank breech. Limb presentation or prolapsed cord, cover with moist dressings and beat feet, since the definitive care is probably going to be an emergency c-section. In the latter case, you can also put the mother on her knees to take pressure off the cord.

You should follow your locol protocols, of course, but medical control isn't going to tell you anything you don't already know. ("I see a leg sticking out where it shouldn't be." "Come to the hospital.")

joeshmoe

Forum Lieutenant
I found practice exams totally useless when it came to preparing for the NREMT.
If your course didnt do a good job of preparing you for the exam, maybe try buying a different brand text book and reading it from cover to cover.

I'll give the NREMT credit, the test didnt seem worried about whether you knew a lot of fancy medical terminology or whether you calculate the rule of nines exactly or the apgar scale and stuff like that. It focused on you being able to recognize and prioritize serious medical problems and provide the correct treatment in the best order.

Angel

Paramedic
basically, except i did have to know the rule of nines for my test...palms (which wasnt emphasized) too