32 yr old mom, looking to bounce into the ems field.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I've heard the nursing suggestions many times. That's not for me. I'm 100% sure that I emt/paramedic is what I want to aim for.
I’m in the same boat, as are others on here. The problem you and I face is that we live in California. So unless your goals after getting your paramedic license go beyond just being a transport paramedic (e.g., firefighter/ paramedic, flight paramedic, teaching, administration, etc.) , your options become limited.

There are so many other states that acknowledge paramedic as a career, unfortunately California does not appear to be one of them. 32 is by no means ancient, and the schoolwork required will not take forever. Within the blink of an eye you’ll be a licensed paramedic, and the field itself does become mundane in its own sort of way.

I’m by no means discouraging anyone’s ambitions, I’m just pointing out backup plans beyond EMT/ paramedic, especially for an established adult, are something to also keep in mind. Anyhow good luck, being a paramedic is doable regardless of age or home life.

chriscemt

Forum Lieutenant
Speaking as someone who also went through a period of "no-work-no-school", if the EMR class is your one opportunity to take classes next semester, then I suggest you do it. There's an adjustment period to meeting others expectations that can't really be understated.

Also, starting a thread titled, "32-year old mom..." sounds like a singles ad.

Also also, I'm sure CRC and ARC offer A/P and other better classes than EMR next semester. Never took classes at Sac City but I'm sure they do too.

OP
OP
Norcalemtpwannabe

Norcalemtpwannabe

Forum Probie
Speaking as someone who also went through a period of "no-work-no-school", if the EMR class is your one opportunity to take classes next semester, then I suggest you do it. There's an adjustment period to meeting others expectations that can't really be understated.

Also, starting a thread titled, "32-year old mom..." sounds like a singles ad.

Also also, I'm sure CRC and ARC offer A/P and other better classes than EMR next semester. Never took classes at Sac City but I'm sure they do too.

Hmm well, I'm not too worried of it coming off that way, seems like everyone's gotten a grip onto what I'm really here for. The fact that I'm not young anymore and have kids, was to make my point of why I'm a bit nervous starting this journey into ems. Taking on more work. Should have started this a long time ago but never too late, right? I suppose there's always a critic.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Norcalemtpwannabe

Norcalemtpwannabe

Forum Probie
I’m in the same boat, as are others on here. The problem you and I face is that we live in California. So unless your goals after getting your paramedic license go beyond just being a transport paramedic (e.g., firefighter/ paramedic, flight paramedic, teaching, administration, etc.) , your options become limited.

There are so many other states that acknowledge paramedic as a career, unfortunately California does not appear to be one of them. 32 is by no means ancient, and the schoolwork required will not take forever. Within the blink of an eye you’ll be a licensed paramedic, and the field itself does become mundane in its own sort of way.

I’m by no means discouraging anyone’s ambitions, I’m just pointing out backup plans beyond EMT/ paramedic, especially for an established adult, are something to also keep in mind. Anyhow good luck, being a paramedic is doable regardless of age or home life.

Ty

CGMedic16

Forum Probie
First off , good for you, I think age and what phase in life you find what it is you want to do or just finally found yourself in a place that you could do it. You will find all walks of life in this field...
I am also located in CA....I'm a norcal neighbor to the west of you in the East bay.
I'll spare putting my .10 cents in because I agree with the great folks in here and they all have given you sound advice. But wanted to say welcome to the EMS family, keep us posted on your journey. Best of luck!

OP
OP
Norcalemtpwannabe

Norcalemtpwannabe

Forum Probie
First off , good for you, I think age and what phase in life you find what it is you want to do or just finally found yourself in a place that you could do it. You will find all walks of life in this field...
I am also located in CA....I'm a norcal neighbor to the west of you in the East bay.
I'll spare putting my .10 cents in because I agree with the great folks in here and they all have given you sound advice. But wanted to say welcome to the EMS family, keep us posted on your journey. Best of luck!

Thank you. I'll definitely keep yall posted.

jryan06

Forum Ride Along
Good for you..Go for it..I am 58 and just finished my first semester of Medic school...And I love it. Can't wait to finish.. I know my career as a medic will be relatively short, but so what. If you love it, do it.

rujero

Emergency Services RN, NREMT
Welcome to EMS! My two cents worth of advice is to familiarize yourself with basic pharmacology. There are courses at affordable community colleges that touch base on the different classes of medication and their effects on the body. Recognizing medications on scene can tell you a lot about a person's past medical history and give you a heads up on what you're dealing with. Even when the patients can't tell you themselves.

I went EMR before EMT too... worked as a Lifeguard for years. Its a good foundation that can't hurt. I wouldn't delay Basic school to take it but if you can't begin until next year anyway you might as well start the journey. Good luck!

-r

TheEleventhHour

Forum Crew Member
My advice would be to study, study, STUDY. There were a few people in my class who I could tell took it lightly thinking it would be easy or simple. Then FISDAP happened & plenty of us discovered pretty quickly there is nothing simple or easy about EMS just because it's a shorter course than some other fields. There was 1 person there (EMT-B Course) who had failed it twice already & they weren't present the day of the Written Final Exam because they hadn't passed enough tests to qualify for the Final. I had just taken the Pre-Req so I knew what I was up against. I don't think I've lost more sleep or studied harder for anything in my life, lol. I consider myself the average B student & had been out of school for a while so it was extremely difficult for me to learn the information at the pace the course was considering we were taking 2 FISDAP Exams a week.

I do like that they prepare you in a way that the most important aspect was not memorizing information, but understanding it. Good luck on your journey!

OP
OP
Norcalemtpwannabe

Norcalemtpwannabe

Forum Probie
*update* so, after all the suggestions to take an A&P class, I put myself on the waiting list for the spring semester (as the class was already full)
I just found out today that I made it in! Now I'm debating whether to drop emr and focus on A&P, Or to take both .I think I can handle both. (Life with 3 little kids and a full time job is chaotic) but I'll figure it out. Even if I have to cut back work hours. I'm excited to get this ball rolling!

Old Tracker

Forum Asst. Chief
EMR shouldn't be too hard. It's probably going to depend more on how long the class is (time wise) than difficulty understanding the material to be covered.

OP
OP
Norcalemtpwannabe

Norcalemtpwannabe

Forum Probie
It is a 16 week class one day a week from 535 till 10 while the A&P class is the same day from 1 to 445. So I would go from one to the next.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
It is a 16 week class one day a week from 535 till 10 while the A&P class is the same day from 1 to 445. So I would go from one to the next.
Sounds to me like a bit of a gift from the EMS gods. Don’t get too used to them, though.

EMR plus an A&P class should make EMT class seem like a sinch.

OP
OP
Norcalemtpwannabe

Norcalemtpwannabe

Forum Probie
Sounds to me like a bit of a gift from the EMS gods. Don’t get too used to them, though.

EMR plus an A&P class should make EMT class seem like a sinch.

I am excited, nervous, but excited. My main concern is time management for studying. I'll figure it out.

OP
OP
Norcalemtpwannabe

Norcalemtpwannabe

Forum Probie
Started the classes and it's going great! Time consuming but I've worked out a routine for studies. So far so good, I'm enjoying everything that I am learning and eager to keep soaking in all that I can this semester.

rujero

Emergency Services RN, NREMT
That's awesome. Keep it up Marlenis!

AtlasFlyer

Forum Captain
I was 37 when I took my EMT class. Similar situation, had been home with the kids for 10 years, looking to get back out and working. That was 5 years ago, and I'm still in it! I haven't gone to medic school yet as my kids are still too needy and I can't yet give medic school the attention it needs and deserves, YMMV. I did however get hired straight-off by a 911 provider. Did my full-time requirement and then went part-time... it's perfect and I'm so glad I did it.