32 yr old mom, looking to bounce into the ems field.

Norcalemtpwannabe

Forum Probie
After 11 years being a stay at home mom, I'm finally going to take steps towards my dream. Would love to have a career as a paramedic, but started basic classes in e.m.r this spring and e.m.t course by fall 2018. I'm a bit nervous about going into unfamiliar territory (emergency medical care) so by taking the e.m.r class I guess I am taking baby steps.im located in Sacramento California. Kinda nice to see some older folks in this from, as I was concerned that I getting too old to start this.

Gurby

Forum Asst. Chief
Definitely not too old! Start working out ASAP if you haven't already - this can be a physically demanding job sometimes given our nation's expanding waistline. The more weight you can deadlift/squat, the less likely you are to get injured carrying someone down stairs or operating a stretcher. Become an EMT and see how you like it. Keep your mind open to other healthcare careers as well. Good luck!

OP
OP
Norcalemtpwannabe

Norcalemtpwannabe

Forum Probie
Thank you for your encouragement. I'm already in great pshycial shape, mistaken for an athlete often enough but all I do is time in the gym.
Honestly there is nothing I'd want to do more than be an emt and if I can, a paramedic someday. New and unfamiliar area for me, little nervous but I won't be happy till I accomplish my dreams and goals. Glad I came across these forums as I have gotten bits and pieces of advice and guidance, different perspectives from different people.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
I wouldn't bother with EMR. It doesn't really do much for you in terms of work opportunities. However, if you have the time and this is what you want, then good luck in pursuing your medic. I will second what Gurby said. Deadlifts are your friend. Lots of them. I'd be okish with losing part of a leg, I can just get a new one and paint it with the colors of ol US of A. I can't replace my back.

OP
OP
Norcalemtpwannabe

Norcalemtpwannabe

Forum Probie
I wouldn't bother with EMR. It doesn't really do much for you in terms of work opportunities. However, if you have the time and this is what you want, then good luck in pursuing your medic. I will second what Gurby said. Deadlifts are your friend. Lots of them. I'd be okish with losing part of a leg, I can just get a new one and paint it with the colors of ol US of A. I can't replace my back.

The emr class was more of a baby stepping it into the medical field. I cannot take the e.m.t course till fall semester of next year, so i figured rather than wasting a semester I can take emr and get my cpr certification plus some basic med education.
The medical field is so new to me, any education is better than nothing for me. Would you have any advice to better prepare me for paramedic school? It's some time away, but if there's College classes I can take between now and then that will benefit me, Any and all suggestions would be great. I will definitely work on my deadlifts. Thanks all

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Save the money of an EMR class for paramedic school, it isn't worth bothering with. If you want to take any class, ditch EMR and take an anatomy and physiology class at a local community college. A&P will be useful even beyond Paramedic and is definitely helpful in making your learning curve throughout a little easier.

Merck

Forum Lieutenant
Well I guess I'll respectfully disagree. I think that, given you inability to begin an EMT program before next fall, that an EMR course is a reasonable step. Learning a basic patient assessment model and a systematic approach to patients at a basic level is a good beginning. The 'why' of much of what is done can be explored as you progress. The course will give you a chance to learn basic things and practice them. Sure A&P is helpful, but knowing about a mitral valve will be of little use in the beginning. That said, doing both would be great.

I'll add a small criticism that is meant to be helpful, and not really critical, so please don't take it that way. In all of your work - posting, papers, reports, etc - pay attention to grammar, sentence structure, punctuation, etc. I've seen many reports from scene crews, initial crews, and those later in case reviews and poor reports reflect, well, poorly on the author.

Overall, try not to worry about it - take the stuff you think is interesting and useful, and have fun along the way.

Cheers from Canada.

OP
OP
Norcalemtpwannabe

Norcalemtpwannabe

Forum Probie
Well I guess I'll respectfully disagree. I think that, given you inability to begin an EMT program before next fall, that an EMR course is a reasonable step. Learning a basic patient assessment model and a systematic approach to patients at a basic level is a good beginning. The 'why' of much of what is done can be explored as you progress. The course will give you a chance to learn basic things and practice them. Sure A&P is helpful, but knowing about a mitral valve will be of little use in the beginning. That said, doing both would be great.

I'll add a small criticism that is meant to be helpful, and not really critical, so please don't take it that way. In all of your work - posting, papers, reports, etc - pay attention to grammar, sentence structure, punctuation, etc. I've seen many reports from scene crews, initial crews, and those later in case reviews and poor reports reflect, well, poorly on the author.

Overall, try not to worry about it - take the stuff you think is interesting and useful, and have fun along the way.

Cheers from Canada.

I'm glad you brought that up, no offense taken. I am open to all advice and Constructive criticism.I am planning to take a class in English, and math during the summer. It has been so long since my school days, I could use a refresher.
I will definitely look into taking a&p somewhere in there as well.

Last edited:

ViolynEMT

Forum Chiefess
If you can't start the EMT course till Fall, an EMR course can't hurt. It might give you a bit of a head start. Any education is good.
Good luck in your endeavor.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I will add to the "skip EMR class" group. You might learn how to do certain things, but you won't learn why.

If you can't find an EMT class that starts in the Spring (and I would think there would be one somewhere), look at paramedic school degree programs, and look at what are the prereqs for their associates degree program. A&P is always a good one (take the one with the lab), and see if you would need to take any math or English classes to meet their requirements. Some might also require psych or sociology, or some other baseline class. These classes might be more beneficial to you while you are waiting for EMT class to start.

EMT class isn't tough; however it isn't an easy A or an automatic pass. You need to have time to study, do all the reading, and practice, and pay attention in class, and study. And even if you have an easy EMT class, there is no guarantee that you will pass the state exam. Taking classes beforehand will help get you back into that mindset and reactivate those study patterns.

FLMedic311

Forum Lieutenant
As far as the courses go I will jump in the foot on each half group. I really think the most important thing is that you are moving forward towards your goal. The path you take is up to you and like all things in life different paths have different benefits and shortcomings. Understanding those differences is what is most important, as it will help you adjust as you see fit! On a completely different note, however, I would like to point out that a job in this field will fundamentally change you. Your outlook on life, other people, yourself and your family. Make sure that you have a plan in place to help deal with these changes. Make sure your family and loved ones understand what you are about to undertake and how it will affect you. I also highly recommend seeing a mental health therapist that closely works with our field if at all possible! Best Wishes!

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
I also highly recommend seeing a mental health therapist that closely works with our field if at all possible! Best Wishes!
This is just a curiosity. Do you mean on an infrequent, but regular basis or just if needed?

FLMedic311

Forum Lieutenant
This is just a curiosity. Do you mean on an infrequent, but regular basis or just if needed?
Both really. Truth be told the first time I went and saw one was for a "needed" reason. But, I have continued as an annual checkup. I think this helps do a couple of things. One, it gives you a chance to honestly evaluate yourself, where you are going and how you are treating life. Two, it helps take away from the stigma of seeking help when it is truly needed. I honestly would like to see it become a national standard that this could be an option for those that would like it along with an annual physical. Let's prevent mental burn out as well as physical well being.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I think @FLMedic311 brings up some good advice (for all really) that isn’t hit on much, if at all, during any EMR, EMT, or paramedic course.

Many people “fall in love” with the false notions of this field only to realize it’s completely different. Some are able to adjust on their own, some with help from others, or some with both. My family has been the strength to an up and down career personally, so yeah, a strong support system is essential.

Put another way, the job stopped becoming such an obsession or a passion for me, and more of a hobby, then finally a job that I enjoy rather than endure.

Will an EMR course help? //shrugs// yes..no...maybe so. I don’t think it would really make an impact over an EMT course if your ultimate goal is to become a paramedic.

I honestly didn’t even know EMR was a thing in California. I can tell you from a field provider standpoint it’s almost completely useless here. I don’t know of any major companies who hire EMR’s in California.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Probably the very best academic preparation for a career in EMS is a two-semester, 200 level course in anatomy and physiology, along with courses in basic chemistry and then pharmacology. Even a 12-credit, 2 semester A&P course is a pretty big commitment though, both time-wise and financially, and probably not realistic for most people, which is why so few do it.

So failing that, I do think a EMR course could be a good primer. Absolutely not necessary of course, but for someone who really wants to do something to get a leg up, it might be a good way to do it.

The best way to get a lot out of a course like that is to use it as a template for what to study outside of class.

OP
OP
Norcalemtpwannabe

Norcalemtpwannabe

Forum Probie
I think @FLMedic311 brings up some good advice (for all really) that isn’t hit on much, if at all, during any EMR, EMT, or paramedic course.

Many people “fall in love” with the false notions of this field only to realize it’s completely different. Some are able to adjust on their own, some with help from others, or some with both. My family has been the strength to an up and down career personally, so yeah, a strong support system is essential.

Put another way, the job stopped becoming such an obsession or a passion for me, and more of a hobby, then finally a job that I enjoy rather than endure.

Will an EMR course help? //shrugs// yes..no...maybe so. I don’t think it would really make an impact over an EMT course if your ultimate goal is to become a paramedic.

I honestly didn’t even know EMR was a thing in California. I can tell you from a field provider standpoint it’s almost completely useless here. I don’t know of any major companies who hire EMR’s in California.

I understand, the job won't be all roses and it can get ugly. I think i have a good understanding of the good and the bad, ive always had the interest and passion for an emergency responders career It's been a long wait to step into the field but my time is here. It's a little overwhelming to think of how much school time I have to plan for. I have 3 kids, it's not easy finding time for much, but I will find a way. The emr class is in no way to seek employment as an emr. It's just like you said, a primer. To get my feet wet a little. Also looking to enroll in some other college classes this spring as refreshers like math and English. The classes available at my college for Anatomy and physiology are all full for spring. It's definitely one I do want to get into, as all of you seem to strongly recommend. I wish I would have started this a long ago.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Norcalemtpwannabe

Norcalemtpwannabe

Forum Probie
I am registering this summer for the fall semester emt course. Reason being, my youngest child will begin school (finally) and I'll have the time while all 3 monkies are in school to dedicate to myself . I'd love nothing more to get the ball rolling sooner. That's where the emr class falls into place as well as a couple other classes to better myself. Not sure when and where A&P will fall into, but I'm working on figuring that out. I'm sure along the way I'll have questions, concerns and I'll be here posting. Y'all have been very helpful and I value any and all advice.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I would not totally discount nursing either. Emergency, and/ or critical care nursing are very much parallel in terms of the acuity of patients seen.

A paramedic is more or less the bridge that closes the gap (in theory) between the ED, and out of hospital setting. Part of me still wishes I had a desire to become a nurse.

OP
OP
Norcalemtpwannabe

Norcalemtpwannabe

Forum Probie
I've heard the nursing suggestions many times. That's not for me. I'm 100% sure that I emt/paramedic is what I want to aim for.