23 y/o male overdose

Fleury14

Forum Crew Member
And if they have one then it isn't an od 1. That's what the original post is correct?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
And if they have one then it isn't an od 1. That's what the original post is correct?

ODs can still have gag reflexes...

Fleury14

Forum Crew Member
Never seen an unconscious overdose with one.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Never seen an unconscious overdose with one.

Had one this morning. OD on Vicodin and sleeping pills with intact gag.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
I was under the assumption we are talking heroin

Be careful about jumping to conclusions. An overdose with a decreased RR doesn't necessarily equal an opiate overdose (heroin included obviously).

That being said, you can definitely have a gag-reflex with many overdoses, heroin included.

Let's say that (theoretically) the patient didn't have a gag-reflex, so you put in an OPA. You reverse the OD, and they wake up. With an OPA in their mouth, what's one of the first things they may start doing? Just trying to get you to think!

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I was under the assumption we are talking heroin

What kind of drug is heroin?

I was simply referring to my most recent call with an OD that included an opioid. I've had maybe a handful of heroin ODs (heroin isn't big in my area) and the majority of them have still had a gag reflex. Saying "always do this" is not the best way to treat patients.

Fleury14

Forum Crew Member
The first thing I always do when someone starts waking up is tell them to pull the opa out of their mouth.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
The first thing I always do when someone starts waking up is tell them to pull the opa out of their mouth.

Is that before or after they vomit?

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic

There's a very good possibility that someone will start gagging and vomiting before they start to follow commands.

Just avoid the whole issue and place an OPA, if an airway is even needed.

Fleury14

Forum Crew Member
I've never seen a legit opiate od where they started gagging. I have however seen a fake one sit right up on the opa attempt.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
If they are going to wake up, why even use the OPA? You can manually position the airway and bag til the Narcan kicks in.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
I've never seen a legit opiate od where they started gagging. I have however seen a fake one sit right up on the opa attempt.

I've never seen a lot of things. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Even if it doesn't happen when they're unconscious, we need to be thinking about what comes after an intervention. Waking up, gagging, then vomiting is a good way to aspirate.

cprted

Forum Captain

Was it fake, or was the stimulus of the OPA being inserted enough to bring them around? I've never had anyone fake an OD, but I have had a couple that were hypoventilating, sonorous resps, and unresponsive to a trap squeeze sit right up upon insertion of an OPA.

Fleury14

Forum Crew Member
Fake was obviously a poor choice of words. It was enough to wake them out of the nod.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Fake was obviously a poor choice of words. It was enough to wake them out of the nod.

If it's enough to wake them up, there's a good possibility it's enough to make them gag.