2 Jersey Medics deliver baby by caesarean

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
I'm aware of that, of course, but my question was more along the lines of - does /any/ state allow it?

Theoretically, as we've discussed, Texas (with it's unlimited delegated scope of practice) could do, but has any medical director actually agreed to let his medics start cutting on expectant mothers - even dead ones?

Actually, Rockwall County EMS outside of Dallas has a protocol for emergent c-section in the setting of maternal cardiac arrest.

Last edited by a moderator:

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
That's actually very interesting, thank you. I wonder if it's ever actually been used.

I don't believe it has. As a side note, the medical director of that particular service must have far larger huevos than I...

EMS49393

Forum Captain
I would venture to say that a paramedic or pair of paramedics in Maryland could get away with preforming a c-section in the presence of maternal death if they were fairly far from an emergency room, like the outer regions of western Maryland, if they consulted with online medical control, that physician agreed to the procedure, talked them through said procedure, and the paramedics felt comfortable enough to perform the procedure.

This is covered under our "extraordinary care" protocol. If all criteria were met after review of the situation and it was deemed the most appropriate intervention to save at least the life of the child, the paramedics and online physician would not be penalized.

Here's the rub... MIEMSS has to determine that all parties acted appropriately and in the best interest of saving a life for all to be forgiven. If they deliver that baby and it dies, it could screw them all. If they deliver that baby and it lives, they could very well be awarded the EMS Star of Life (or whatever they call it now) Award. It's all relative to the outcome of the incident.

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't know what would happen here in North Carolina. Our protocols say, "In a maternal arrest, continue treatment, transport rapidly, and call medical control". I'm not sure what they can authorize the medics to do.

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
Our medical director has stated that if trained, and after making contact with medical control, we can do so.

If anyone wants, they can search the NJ OEMS website for past infractions, and see what action was taken against the providers.
Really, go ahead and do it. Theres some funny/pathetic stuff in there.

lampnyter

Forum Captain
If this is the same story that our instructor told us, the baby lives but the 2 employees were fired.

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
Many of our medics are, despite the fact we are "only" FireMedics, highly trained, and have second jobs which would allow them the training to provide this care. Not all of us can do this.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Our medical director has stated that if trained, and after making contact with medical control, we can do so.

If anyone wants, they can search the NJ OEMS website for past infractions, and see what action was taken against the providers.
Really, go ahead and do it. Theres some funny/pathetic stuff in there.

Its funny and pathetic what some providers get away with without being caught by NJ OEMS.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
What must get caught must be really bad.

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
Or you are in the wrong place at the wrong time.
The grapevine is always on fire whenever OEMS is in county doing inspections.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Alot of people impersonating EMTs, A couple of basic EMTs who do not know how to evaluate a newborn/stillborn, medics falsifing narcotic records and emt-Bs/medic who were child predators. Very interesting.

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
Regrettably, one of those came from my project. <_<

medicsb

Forum Asst. Chief
Were they ever allowed to get their medic licenses back in NJ? Was it a complete revokation or suspension for a period of time? Did the committee that made this decision use their brains or did they blindly follow policy?

Apologies for bumping an old thread, but I figure some might be a little bit interested.

I can say for sure that one of the medics is still working as a medic in NJ.