18 firefighters dead- Yarnell (Phoenix)

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
A different article I read stated there were another 19 missing. Not a good year...

Edit: It's unclear from CNN's article if 19 are additional, or a part of the 18 confirmed.

Last edited by a moderator:

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Jesus. Just saw this story online. It's really an almost unimaginable toll. My thoughts are with the surviving members of Prescott fire along with the friends and families of those who were lost.

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
The Secret List is reporting 18 dead from a Prescott based hot shot crew from a "very serious incident"'

Thoughts and prayers with those families.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
It was originally 19 missing, one was found, they are assuming the other 18 are dead.

Initial Secret List said 19 missing then accounted for and EMS air resources were requested. Second report was that they were killed.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Just read about it on Facebook. This has not been a good year for emergency personnel.

OP
OP

9D4

Forum Asst. Chief
Initial Secret List said 19 missing then accounted for and EMS air resources were requested. Second report was that they were killed.
You're right it does seem to be 19. Latest statement said 19, from the Prescott fire spokesman.
The evacuation is now down to less than 15 miles north of my house.

Last edited by a moderator:

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
Has emtlife ever gone black for LODD?

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
You're right it does seem to be 19. Latest statement said 19, from the Prescott fire spokesman.
The evacuation is now down to less than 15 miles north of my house.

I'm wondering if they were overrun given that it was a fast moving fire.

15 miles is still a good distance away. Stay safe.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I'm wondering if they were overrun given that it was a fast moving fire.

15 miles is still a good distance away. Stay safe.

I just read a new report that said they were overrun by the fire and had to deploy their shelters. Not sure if that is true of not.

OP
OP

9D4

Forum Asst. Chief
I just read a new report that said they were overrun by the fire and had to deploy their shelters. Not sure if that is true of not.
I just read the same one. It was a person in charge of forestry services that stated it, so I'm sure that's a legitimate source.

socalmedic

Mediocre at best

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Not again. Not again.

Google "South Canyon fire deaths" and "Mann Gulch fire". (These were written about by Norman Maclean and his son John, in reverse order).
Mann Gulch due to bad luck, dropping in with too much wind maybe, and a crew who didn't trust their leader; South Canyon (aka "Storm King Mountain") due to crap cooperation and intel amongst different firefighting agencies. If the shake n bakes failed, this may lead to more changes in wildland firefighting.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
My thoughts and prayers are with them.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
so sad.....

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
I just got bad news. I knew one of the firemen, grew up here in socal. RIP Kevin Woyjeck. he was an EMT for Care in orange as well.

OP
OP

9D4

Forum Asst. Chief
I just got bad news. I knew one of the firemen, grew up here in socal. RIP Kevin Woyjeck. he was an EMT for Care in orange as well.
Sorry for your loss.
Are you positive on the spelling? I was good friends with a girl in hs named Wojcik (pronounced the same) and I remember her saying something about her uncle being a firefighter up north a while back. Can't be that common of a name.