16 y/o EMT Alone in Rig

yankeefan213

Forum Probie
Legally speaking, can an EMT in NJ who is under 18 be alone with the patient in the back of the rig? I know that I will not be receiving actual legal advice, but has anyone done it/known of it?

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
If they're certified as an EMT by the state / county and legally allowed to work. Then sure, why not.

I wouldn't allow it though.

OP
OP
Y

yankeefan213

Forum Probie
Thats what I think. I'm sure no one would hire one but on volunteer squad? Same cert, same training. The only thing I could thinkn of would be that insurance would be through the roof if this was allowed.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
If you're certified through the state, then as far as the state is concerned, you're an EMT, regardless of age. The difference comes in to each individual agency.

My current agency will not hire anyone under 21, however you can be certified as a Paramedic at 18.

OP
OP
Y

yankeefan213

Forum Probie
If you're certified through the state, then as far as the state is concerned, you're an EMT, regardless of age. The difference comes in to each individual agency.

My current agency will not hire anyone under 21, however you can be certified as a Paramedic at 18.

I agree with this point of view, but does anone have first hand knowledge of a squad doing this?

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Legal? Yes. Good idea? That would depend a great deal on the 16 year old. Even if the 16 year old was every bit as qualified and competent as any EMT out there you have to wonder what a patient is going to be thinking with some kid who may not even be shaving providing patient care. Of course I know a few EMTs in their 20s who look 12 who do just fine.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
It's legal in NJ. I know some 16 year olds that are leaps and bounds more mature than people in their 40s. All depends on the people.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
It shouldn't be legal.

You know whats funny?

When I go to the dentist, I don't dont see any sixteen year olds.

When I go to get my oil changed I don't see any sixteen year olds.

When the fed ex guy comes to my house he isn't sixteen.

The mailman isn't sixteen.

Hell the trash man isn't sixteen.

When I'm having a medical emergency and the ambulance comes to my house, there better not be any sixteen year olds on it.

I know your mature for your age, your not like the other sixteen year olds, and your probably more mature them most of the providers doing this job.........I don't care. When EMS providers come to my house they better be out of high school, and hopefully college.

I'm sorry but sixteen year olds belong at the boys club not on the box.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Y

yankeefan213

Forum Probie
Whether or not a 16 or 17 or any year old should be on the rig alone is another debate, one which is on several other threads. I was trying to find out if its legal or not in NJ. Darien is a good example, but that's in CT not NJ.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
When I was 14 I worked on a deep frier at a grease joint. It wasn't safe but I was mature and did it better than the 20 year old punk.

I know of a 14 year old who works in a garage (with a work permit) and changes oil, does brakes and tune ups. It's legal as he has a work permit that specifically describes his job and the state signed off on it.

Folks, it's all about maturity. Don't you agree?

OP
OP
Y

yankeefan213

Forum Probie
Folks, it's all about maturity. Don't you agree?

Absolutely. Unfortunately there is no quantitative measure for maturity so the government makes up an arbitrary age. That's why the drinking age the driving age and everything else based on an arbitrary age is crap. Some things should be restricted, but age is a poor substitution for a measure of maturity.

ArcticKat

Forum Captain
I did my first ambulance call when I was 11 years old. Granted, back in that day the only requirement for an ambulance was a driver, a cot, a red light, and a first aid kit; so having an 11 year old kid riding shotgun with the patient was actually a bonus.

The patient in question was actually a stable post hip replacement being returned to his local hospital for convalescent care.

Regulations were upgraded a few years after that to ensure two per crew, still no age minimum though.

nwhitney

Forum Captain
Absolutely. Unfortunately there is no quantitative measure for maturity so the government makes up an arbitrary age. That's why the drinking age the driving age and everything else based on an arbitrary age is crap. Some things should be restricted, but age is a poor substitution for a measure of maturity.

They are not arbitrary ages the government made up. There are a couple of factors that play into determining the drinking age. Brain development (some will have different view points on this) and risk taking are two major factors when it comes to alcohol use and the under 21 population.

You're right there is no quantitative measurement for maturity but we need something to measure and experience is a quantitative measurement. Often maturity comes with age so using age to restrict certain activities is a pretty good method. A 16 year old may be more mature than a 40 year old but they don't have the life experience of a 40 year old.

OP
OP
Y

yankeefan213

Forum Probie
They are not arbitrary ages the government made up. There are a couple of factors that play into determining the drinking age. Brain development (some will have different view points on this) and risk taking are two major factors when it comes to alcohol use and the under 21 population.

But again even brain development at certain ages is a bell curve with some ahead of it and some behind. Since it would be prohibitively expensive to give everyone yearly brain scans to determine when one is sufficiently developed for whatever activity (driving driking riding an ambulance etc) not to mention the practical implications regarding checking I'd the government picks an arbitrary, even if supported on some level by science, age to say "ok at 18 or 21 or whatever people can do XYZ"

Lady_EMT

Forum Lieutenant
On the maturity discussion, it doesn't matter. It's easier to say no to everyone, than pick an choose. Imagine the issues that would cause? Chief can't just say, "Ok, Mary Lou, you're mature, so you can ride by yourself, but Joey, you aren't quite there yet, you need a babysitter."

I know in CT, if you are under the age of 16 you need to have someone over the age of 18 with you. It's not because of maturity or skill level, but because the explorers are run through the boy scouts. It's a legality thing.

And I'm not bashing anyone, I'm 20, started doing this when I was 17.