1 down...2 to go!

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Took my final Trauma Practical last night. I swear, our instructor is out to give me heart failure. Before class, the 4 people left in my rotation (ony 9 total in the class) were standing on the far side of the parking lot talking about the practicles. The instructions we were given were we would go over to the testers, tell them Medical or Trauma, and they would give us the scenario based on that. I was all set to pick medical, because I wanted to go over the traction splint one more time as I was not to comfy with it.

Well, he calls us over and points, goes 1,2,1,2. Ones are doing Trauma, Twos get medical. A quick check and sure enough I am Trauma. Dammit!!

So I am third and he sends us to stand behind the Ambulance. After a few minutes he comes around and says, "Your dispatched to a Vehicle vs. Pedestrian Accident"

All I could think was You have got to be F###ing kidding me!! Of all the skills we have to know, he gives me the ONE I am not ok with!!!

Now luckily (for me, not my "Patient"), along with bilat femur fx, he gave her bilat forearm fract, an unstable pelvis, and a pretty nice head injury. So instead of the traction splint, I went for using the backboard as one big splint :D Well La T Da, on wave of his magical instructors want and he converted one of here femur fx's from closed to open, and put her into respiratory arrest for me!

Did I mention ALS couldn't respond, Life Flight was grounded due to fog, and our other helicopter option was tied up on another call. Shocking :eek: I know.

So anyway, I get all through and he was like GET OVER HERE!!! After he gives me my critique and has me sign my pass paperwork I could breath again.

So, Medical Practicle to go...and then my written final....then MIAMI here I come for the NR Test!!! YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Did I mention ALS couldn't respond, Life Flight was grounded due to fog, and our other helicopter option was tied up on another call. Shocking I know.

In class, our medics were either down or responding from the next county over, with a 35minute ETA.

I like LessStress.com's take on it - "your medic is responding from xxx....be advised, they are ging to be delayed by a "seniors for better heathcare protest..."

Jon

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon@May 10 2005, 10:53 AM

I like LessStress.com's take on it - "your medic is responding from xxx....be advised, they are ging to be delayed by a "seniors for better heathcare protest..."

Jon
LMAO :lol:

Well at least you got through it!! Good Luck on the rest!

emtbuff

Forum Captain
Way to go. Its not that bad. I know I know it sucks going in to the stations we have always done all the stations in one day. for the Basic that is. Now that I am the pt for most of the Nationals those that I help instructe and kinda get to know are relived to see a familiar face. :D Or at least that is what they tell me.