the 100% directionless thread

Trashtruck

Forum Captain
I shoulda known that there was no way I was gonna get off at 2300 after working from 0900-1700 then a partial from 17-23...

This is the :censored::censored::censored::censored: that really pisses me off. My off time is 2300, pull us out of the 911 system at 2235 just like if the unit was EOS so we can do the swap and I can restock the drugs for the medic coming on or over-lap me and my relief by a half an hour so I can go home on time.

If we catch a call in the next 15 minutes I'm gonna lynch a dispatcher with my shoulder mic cord when I get back to the garage. I don't give a rats *** if its national dispatch week.

It's just more OT, man! But I hear ya. After a long shift, the extra money isn't worth my time.
That's cool they normally put you out of service so you can go back, restock, and switch with the oncoming crew.
I believe your service got some kind of badass reward this year, right?

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Not really.. Strep can be passed from the mother to the infant during childbirth. Around 36-38 weeks gestation, the OB does a perianal swab and has it cultured for the strep B virus. If the mother tests positive for carrying strep B, antibiotics are administered to the mother during childbirth. Usually penicillin if there's no allergy.. The placenta passes the meds along to the fetus, and give the fetus a nice healthy dose of ABs in their blood.

The mother can be a carrier of strep B, but not be affected or ill, it's just in her digestive tract.. The only way to determine if the mother is a carrier is by proper prenatal care.. But even then, I've seen mothers who have tested negative for strep B, but the infant still got sepsis.. The :censored::censored::censored::censored:ty part, is that those little babies can go from healthy to critical in six hours.

I'm sorry dude... I really am. (hugs)

Oh, the fetus was pureed. The sepsis went to Mom.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Not really.. Strep can be passed from the mother to the infant during childbirth. Around 36-38 weeks gestation, the OB does a perianal swab and has it cultured for the strep B virus. If the mother tests positive for carrying strep B, antibiotics are administered to the mother during childbirth. Usually penicillin if there's no allergy.. The placenta passes the meds along to the fetus, and give the fetus a nice healthy dose of ABs in their blood.

The mother can be a carrier of strep B, but not be affected or ill, it's just in her digestive tract.. The only way to determine if the mother is a carrier is by proper prenatal care.. But even then, I've seen mothers who have tested negative for strep B, but the infant still got sepsis.. The :censored::censored::censored::censored:ty part, is that those little babies can go from healthy to critical in six hours.

I'm sorry dude... I really am. (hugs)

Thanks for reminding me about GBS testing. Swab in the introitus, swab in the rectum, and never in the opposite order.

Also the pediatricians were scared silly when it came to neonatal sepsis. They seized on any reason to order a sepsis workup (CBC with manual differential, blood culture, CRP, and something else I can't remember).

Household6

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
Last edited by a moderator:

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I used to engrave the phrase "I <3 boys" on my electronic equipment, testers, tools, comm cables when I was in engineering. Nobody touched my stuff.

Still would not help haha. I work in an area that is well known for its LGBT population and parties. A lot of our nursing staff, some of our medics, and a lot of the public would love that stethoscope haha.

MikeCivitello

Forum Probie
I wish someone around here would carry it.

Of course, it has its own issues:

tujytuqa.jpg

Nitronox is now available again - just released this week.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
First day of PALS down, one more to go.

I forgot how painful these two days were...

CritterNurse

Forum Captain
Looks like I'll be eating an awful lot of beef stew for the next few days.

Went to make beef stew, and realized I was out of beef bullion. I figured instead of running out to the store to buy more, I'd go online and look up recipes until I found on that I had all the ingredients for. I find one, I make it, and it looks like I'm the only one that liked it. One family member took one bite and said "Yuck". Another said it wasn't so great tonight, but maybe it will taste better tomorrow. The other family member wasn't home.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
It's just more OT, man! But I hear ya. After a long shift, the extra money isn't worth my time.
That's cool they normally put you out of service so you can go back, restock, and switch with the oncoming crew.
I believe your service got some kind of badass reward this year, right?

We tend to get recognized every year for something. Despite how much I mope I do enjoy working there, overall. Love the people, love the city, have nice equipment, pretty decent protocols and they do some cool stuff for employees. It's just been bad lately cause we're so short staffed on the medic side but provided all these new hires clear their FTO time we'll be solid. I like being steadily busy throughout the day personally, but it starts to wear on you when you're running back to back to back all day long with no breathing room. Usually down at least one car every day if not more yet we still maintain our compliance. Haven't missed it since we started operations :D

Got a 9.9 million dollar grant for a Community Paramedicine program that's launching operations this summer, that's probably what you're thinking of unless there was something more recent than that, I honestly haven't been paying too close of attention.

Household6

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
Looks like I'll be eating an awful lot of beef stew for the next few days.

Went to make beef stew, and realized I was out of beef bullion. I figured instead of running out to the store to buy more, I'd go online and look up recipes until I found on that I had all the ingredients for. I find one, I make it, and it looks like I'm the only one that liked it. One family member took one bite and said "Yuck". Another said it wasn't so great tonight, but maybe it will taste better tomorrow. The other family member wasn't home.

Sometimes you just gotta make vegetable soup..

I bought one of those Ron Popeil chicken rotisseries off ebay a couple weeks ago.. WOW.. Best $47 I've ever spent on a kitchen appliance.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Screw thieves. That is all.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Screw thieves. That is all.

In hemet, leave NOTHING visible in your car, not even a blanket. They'll think something is under it.... Damn crackheads.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Someone stole the catalytic converter off my truck. It was parked right in my driveway, in a very low crime area. They had about a four hour window between the time I got home and went to leave again.

I don't leave anything in my truck at all. I keep some tools and basic life needs stuff under the seats in the event that something pops up while I'm on the road that leaves me stranded. That's about it.

I'm just glad they unbolted it rather than cut it, and that they did it the night before my one day off so I can fix it.

Attachments

• SAM_0539.jpg
    SAM_0539.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 380
Last edited by a moderator:

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Someone stole the catalytic converter off my truck. It was parked right in my driveway, in a very low crime area. They had about a four hour window between the time I got home and went to leave again.

I don't leave anything in my truck at all. I keep some tools and basic life needs stuff under the seats in the event that something pops up while I'm on the road that leaves me stranded. That's about it.

I'm just glad they unbolted it rather than cut it, and that they did it the night before my one day off so I can fix it.

Is your truck a lifted Toyota? Those are the most common for that catalytic converter to get stolen. A lot more people are not starting to weld or at least Tac weld the converter on.

Anjel

Forum Angel

A close friend had his stolen from his driveway last night as well.