the 100% directionless thread

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
See, this is beyond my scope right now..

How do you prepare a patient for it? Do you say "This is going to hurt like a mother **%@ for about 10 seconds, hold still man.."?

That's what I've told all the conscious people. "This is gonna hurt like hell for a second, but I have to do it." Most people tell me "I thought you said it was going to hurt like hell. That wasn't terrible."

The only conscious people I've IO-ed have been the ones I need to RSI 15 minutes ago. Little versed thru the UP and they don't remember when they wake up anyhow. :)

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
We thought we were going to end up using RSI on this pt., so we hoped he'd forget the ordeal too. Sadly (or not) for him though, he improved some before we got to intubate him and didn't end up getting any Etomidate or Versed. Whatever part of his brain was intact through this nasty fever will sadly still have full recall of our time with him.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Chaz, I worked an unresponsive OD a few months ago. Narcan didn't improve his very depressed respiratory rate but he still had a gag. I got RSI orders and drilled an IO. Amazingly, he became alert and breathing after I flushed the IO with 10ml of saline. His first words were not ones I can repeat in the forum.

I've drilled several live people and I don't care what anybody says, the Lidocaine doesn't make it "almost painless". Every one of them howled with pain.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
The only time I've done an IO on a conscious pt was on a MASSIVE cva. It was a nasty bleed with some very dramatic mid line shift. She didn't really react much, but I'm not sure how much of her brain was working at that point.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Chaz, I worked an unresponsive OD a few months ago. Narcan didn't improve his very depressed respiratory rate but he still had a gag. I got RSI orders and drilled an IO. Amazingly, he became alert and breathing after I flushed the IO with 10ml of saline. His first words were not ones I can repeat in the forum.

I've drilled several live people and I don't care what anybody says, the Lidocaine doesn't make it "almost painless". Every one of them howled with pain.

I figure even if the Lidocaine helps it's certainly not instantaneous. Hopefully I'll never have to experience the other side of the drill when I'm conscious.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
More than 24 hours with no posts here? BUMP!

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
See, this is beyond my scope right now..

How do you prepare a patient for it? Do you say "This is going to hurt like a mother **%@ for about 10 seconds, hold still man.."?

I'm sorry but this is gonna hurt but we have to do it. Do. Not. Move. Or I will have to do it again on the other side.

The pain comes from breaking up the matrix within the bone with the flush to make space for the fluid, even pushing lido first it's going to hurt cause you're breaking the matrix without giving the lido time to work.

Last edited by a moderator:

katgrl2003

Forum Asst. Chief
Moved back in with my parents almost a year ago. Finally getting stuff organized and moved around... holy cow, didn't realize we had this much crap. On a side note, the cat is loving the empty boxes.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
tugajahe.jpg

It's just another day at Coachella Festival when you see a 20 foot tall and 30 foot long snail moving across the area

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
That cannot possibly be any good for the people who are tripping on acid at Coachella.

There is actually a lot less drug use this weekend due to a really beefed up security and police presence and pat down before entering. All caused by the Boston Marathon.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
77 y/o M stroke. GCS 8, protecting airway well with intact gag, 1 episode vomiting. 300 pounds, mallapati 4. BLSd that airway for the whole six minutes it took to get to ER, since I had no good answer to sedate my patient adequately.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Had to use a CVAD for the first time today on a diabetic. Veins were nonexistent and Glucagon didn't touch the guy (liver cirrhosis).

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Hm, our chat is really dead. :[

Aprz

The New Beach Medic

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I'm gonna practice intubating it.