Your patients asks you "Am I going to die?"

Everett

Forum Crew Member
That would be hard for me too answer. As a Christian I'd try to give my patient the truth in hopes he/she would turn to Christ and repent, however as a person I don't think I could handle it if it were my news.

Then again, truth is always the best route under special circumcstances.

I'd say yes and no.

TomB

Forum Captain
Okay, playing Devil's Advocate, how is it given to us to know that a conscious and talking patient is most likely going to die (from this emergency)? Let me guess! Like something from the movie "Signs" with Mel Gibson? As soon as the object is lifted, then the patient dies? Okay.... I suppose it's remotely possible. If it's possible to know that a patient is most likely going to die, then yes, you let that person know in case he or she has any last words, which should be carefully recorded.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Okay, playing Devil's Advocate, how is it given to us to know that a conscious and talking patient is most likely going to die (from this emergency)? Let me guess! Like something from the movie "Signs" with Mel Gibson? As soon as the object is lifted, then the patient dies? Okay.... I suppose it's remotely possible. If it's possible to know that a patient is most likely going to die, then yes, you let that person know in case he or she has any last words, which should be carefully recorded.

Because you triaged them to the "will receive no further resources" category during your MCI triage.

Wounds incompatible with life, such as uncompensated bood loss with delayed transport for whatever the reason. (particularly in the military)

Talking to the patient prior to a traumatic arrest in any form for that matter.

Could be lots of reasons I think.

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
here's what i tell them, "one day, and one day i will to" usually gets them away from it. you don't want them to lose hope though, mostly because the will to survive is an important tool for them to utilize in a time like that.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Been there.

You look them straight in the eye, you tell them "We're going to take care of you", and then you do your damndest to do that. If you have to go on to another victim, you make them comfortable quickly, take a beat, look them straight in the eyes, tell them "I will be back", and damnwell make sure you are.

I can honestly say that I've had many more people who were not going to die soon say they thought they were going to, than people who really were going to die soon say that they thought they were.

Did that even make sense?

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
That would be hard for me too answer. As a Christian I'd try to give my patient the truth in hopes he/she would turn to Christ and repent, however as a person I don't think I could handle it if it were my news.

I'd say yes and no.

I really hope you don't offer this unsolicited piece of religious advice to a dying patient, do you?

stephenrb81

Forum Lieutenant

I'd say yes and no.

I really hope you don't offer this unsolicited piece of religious advice to a dying patient, do you?

Agree'd with bstone

You should remain respectful of the religious views of your patients and not force your own upon them. Perhaps they are content with their own views. There is a spot on everyone's medical record for their religious preference so that their needs may be met in the event they require it. It is not appropriate for anyone to attempt to convert them while they are on their death bed. I was raised Southern Baptist, I would not appreciate to spend my dying moments having to listen to a Mormon/Muslim/Jehovah Witness/Wiccan/Atheist/Holy-Believers-Of-Missing-Socks-From-The-Dryer/Etc... attempt to convert me to their beliefs

Last edited by a moderator:

mycrofft

I think that the intent about telling the truth was about time.

If told they are dying, they will have time to make peace with themselves,regardless of specific creed.
Pretty luxurious to have an alert oriented pt able to have that time on an emergency run.

mycrofft

I think that Everett's intent about telling the truth was about time.

If told they are dying, they will have time to make peace with themselves,regardless of specific creed.
Pretty luxurious to have an alert oriented pt able to have that time frmo emergency runs.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Agree'd with bstone

You should remain respectful of the religious views of your patients and not force your own upon them. Perhaps they are content with their own views. There is a spot on everyone's medical record for their religious preference so that their needs may be met in the event they require it. It is not appropriate for anyone to attempt to convert them while they are on their death bed. I was raised Southern Baptist, I would not appreciate to spend my dying moments having to listen to a Mormon/Muslim/Jehovah Witness/Wiccan/Atheist/Holy-Believers-Of-Missing-Socks-From-The-Dryer/Etc... attempt to convert me to their beliefs

Don't forget Pastafarian! May you be touched by His noodley appendage! RAmen!

WFDJustin

Forum Ride Along
you tell him that you will do the best you can to prevent it. never promise a patient or a patients family something you cant always deliver.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Your patients asks you "I'm I going to die?"
What do you tell him when you know he is most likely to die?

If after exam I am confident he will die I answer. Yes you are most likely going to die. Is there anything I can do to help you be more comfortable?

PapaBear434

Forum Asst. Chief

I'd say yes and no.

Do that to me, and I'll do whatever is in my power to haunt you until you completely lose your marbles.

/proud member of the heathen hordes

EeyoreEMT

Forum Crew Member
Everyone dies, eventually

PHP:
The hardest question to answer. When it's a child asking, I never tell them yes, I alway am honest when something is going to hurt and explain everything we do and why, and sometimes let them help (obviously not critical) like hold this ice pack for me here... Adults and their family... each case is different. The ones who are not falling to pieces to the point you can't understand what they are saying, 
"Everything that can be done is being done for them....is there anyone I can call for you or you would like to call?"
If they can handle it, be honest explain what is being done for them so they can understand. The hardest thing to do is give infant's clothes back to the family and say, I'm sorry, we did all we could. After every child I code, I pray as I'm working them that whatever is to be, happens, and ask God to bless them. I walk out the door, and the day goes on.

EeyoreEMT

Forum Crew Member
Everyone dies, eventually

The hardest question to answer. When it's a child asking, I never tell them yes, I alway am honest when something is going to hurt and explain everything we do and why, and sometimes let them help (obviously not critical) like hold this ice pack for me here...
Adults and their family... each case is different. If the patient asks, and they are usually the older one's humor is the best bet, yes, not today though, we only take dying people on Tuesdays, or something like that. Now if the patient tells you they are going to die, they usually do. I had a lady screaming at me, 3 stories up I'm dyinig, can't you hurry. She yelled at me for 5 minutes while I tried to get history, meds, allergies, crank her o2 to 6 lpm (her max) and calm her down. We got her on the stairchair and started down the 3 stories of deck stairs, all 90 degree turns, 1/3 of the way down, she leans forward. I look at my partner so he can brace to stop, I hold on to her shoulders and while I'm leaning her back telling her how important that was-she coded!
The ones who are not falling to pieces to the point you can't understand what they are saying, "Everything that can be done is being done for them....is there anyone I can call for you or you would like to call?"
If they can handle it, be honest explain what is being done for them so they can understand. The hardest thing to do is give a parent's child's clothes back to the family and say, I'm sorry, we did all we could. After every child I have had to code, which has been too many, I pray as I'm working them that whatever is to be, happens, and ask God to bless them. I walk out the door, and the day goes on.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
I generally use something along the lines of "Not if I have anything to say about it", and alter my tone from funny to serious depending on the situation and I've never had a bad reaction to it. I've found that the patients who may not make it to the hospital alive generally aren't in good enough condition to ask anyway.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
That would be hard for me too answer. As a Christian I'd try to give my patient the truth in hopes he/she would turn to Christ and repent,

Repent for what? The sin of dying in your ambulance?
What makes you assume that the pt isn't a christian and already repented... are you assuming that they were forgiven and then squeezed in a few more sinful acts between redemption and their critical health event? This belief system really confuses me.

281mustang

Forum Lieutenant
That should be grounds for termination IMO. Even just telling them they're going to die is an imcompitent thing to do. If the professional they trust to save their life is telling them they're going to die many of them will lose their will to survive. Whatever bedtime story you were told as a child is for you to practice on your own time. Your religious views are just that, YOUR religious views, so leave them at the door.