Your opinion?

tchristifulli

Forum Crew Member
So I had a resp distress call the other day and I was starting an IV. I accidentally cannulated an artery. I decided instead of pulling it out and holding pressure for 5 minutes, to just cap it and let them draw ABGs off it at the ER. Doc didn't have an issue with it and actually said it was a good idea. Does anyone see anything dangerous about this?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I've always been taught to leave arterial IVs in place for the hospital to deal with unless there's an extenuating circumstance.

We also generally have short, read: 15 minutes or less, transports.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Does anyone see anything dangerous about this?

I would wrap the site in Coban or tape and clearly mark it so no one can assume it is an IV and push meds. It needs to be hooked up to a pressure line ASAP so it does not clot off.

Also, I doubt they would actually use it to draw ABGs.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
I've started (and missed) plenty of IVs but never managed to hit an artery. Yeah, yeah, I'm knocking on wood and all that. How common have any of you seen this in practice? I'd be inclined to go with Chase's recommendation here. Secure it, mark it clearly, and obtain actual venous access somewhere else.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I would probably just pull it and put pressure on it for a few minutes until it stops bleeding.