You know why I love Emergency Services?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
And I don't just mean EMS.

The brotherhood.

I was standing outside the truck the other day, eating lunch, when a bike cop rode up and just started chatting with me. We never met before, probably won't ever again, but we chatted for a while like we knew eachother for a long time.

Cops and firefighters can bicker. Some of you can hate police like the rest of the ignorant population we serve. But no matter what, we all respect eachother, and understand eachother to an extent.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Some of you can hate police like the rest of the ignorant population we serve.

That statement is so dissapointing.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Cops and firefighters can bicker. Some of you can hate police like the rest of the ignorant population we serve. But no matter what, we all respect eachother, and understand eachother to an extent.

Respect should also be given to the population you serve.

PapaBear434

Forum Asst. Chief
Pretty much anyone in emergency services are of a similar breed. We'd never be happy in a desk job doing 9-5, no matter how much we'd like to think otherwise.

Well, those jobs don't exist anymore, but you get my point. I can't imagine working as a programmer somewhere, or working on computers in a back room.

OP
OP
Shishkabob

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
That statement is so dissapointing.

Respect should also be given to the population you serve.

Yet so very true, so I stand very much by it.

The day someone gives me a valid reason as to why they hate all police and why committing felonies is cool, will be the day I rescind that statement.

But as for vents comment; You can be respectful and still say someone is ignorant. I will call someone out on ignorance without a moments hesitation, as I know many in Emergency Services will. I guarantee at one time or another in your career, you spoke to a pt about their stupidity that lead to their current situation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sasha

Forum Chief

The day someone gives me a valid reason as to why they hate all police will be the day I rescind that statement.

Someone who is incapable of giving respect to the patient's they serve is not some one I'd want anywhere near me during an emergency.

OP
OP
Shishkabob

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Someone who is incapable of giving respect to the patient's they serve is not some one I'd want anywhere near me during an emergency.

Well good thing we don't work together then, because you obviously can't tell the difference between disrespect and speaking the truth. You can speak the truth and still be respectful. And on top of that, you don't know how I treat my patient's. Don't ever assume you do, or attempt to extrapolate.

A posting on an internet forum cannot be taken as someone not having a silver tongue when it comes to patients. It can only be taken as a peer speaking to peers.

VentMedic

Forum Chief

The day someone gives me a valid reason as to why they hate all police and why committing felonies is cool, will be the day I rescind that statement.

But as for vents comment; You can be respectful and still say someone is ignorant. I will call someone out on ignorance without a moments hesitation, as I know many in Emergency Services will. I guarantee at one time or another in your career, you spoke to a pt about their stupidity that lead to their current situation.

You have made some very broad statements against the people you are there to provide medical care for. I would say the majority of your patients are neither ignorant or cop haters.

Doing stupid things also does not necessarily make someone ignorant. What about riding a bike or skiing without a helmet? Getting careless or distracted while using power tools? Being at the wrong place at the wrong time? Crashing a car on black ice?

OP
OP
Shishkabob

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
You have made some very broad statements against the people you are there to provide medical care for. I would say the majority of your patients are neither ignorant or cop haters.

I never meant it to come off as all people are ignorant, or all people hate LEOs, so I am sorry for that portion of my statement.

But, you as well as most, know that there is a good portion of the population that hates police simply because they are police and no other reason.

THAT irks me. Hating all of someone for no valid reason. If that isn't the epitome of ignorance, then I do not know what is. And for believing in that, I don't know how you and Sasha can come off on the high ground and look down on me because of a misplaced word.

Sasha

Forum Chief
But, you as well as most, know that there is a good portion of the population that hates police simply because they are police and no other reason.

Maybe it's because police have a horrible reputation in general?

OP
OP
Shishkabob

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Maybe it's because police have a horrible reputation in general?

Which just proves my point, does it not?

How many police are there in the United States alone? And on top of that, how many abuse accusations actually pan out to be true?

One abuse case shows ALL police in a bad light.

If a medic punched a pt, it wouldn't show ALL EMS in a bad light. It's just peoples pre-conceived notions that all police are bad, crooked, and want to eat babies.

In all the LEO's I've known personally, and met professionally, I have yet to meet a bad one. Yes, they exist, just like bad ones exist in EVERY field of work. But anyone that goes on to believe that that whole field must be evil because of a few bad apples out of thousands of people is ignorant, and there is no other way to view it, and you're wrong if you do. Anyone who hates someone just because of their uniform and not because of their actions is wrong.

Hockey

Quackers
Come to work in my area for a week, and reassess your statement ;) :)

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Before this gets out of hand...

signadmin1.gif

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I hate cats.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
I know of many police who dislike the general public. It is because of the people they are called out to deal with most of the time. The domestic violence in the poor neighborhoods, the druggie low lives, gang members, and frequently these same populations require EMS and ER admissions.

It is our job not to judge, but to provide impartial medical care. However, our thoughts will wonder where they do, and anyone who claims to be above thinking about how much a patient's life must suck must also think their poop dont smell.

Scout

Para-Noid
strange i read that as ignorant of what your/our job entails? "Ignorance is the state in which a person lacks knowledge, sophistication or intelligence."

I thought linus refered to people dont get what we or cops do?

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Come to work in my area for a week, and reassess your statement ;) :)

How many LEOs are killed each year in your state? How many have their cars burns, objects thrown at them or their families threatened?
It is sad to see LEOs on a ventilator after being blindsided by a coward throwing a brick.

Yes, that is a reality in some places almost weekly. But, it is usually just a few in each community. The other members of that community are depending on the police to protecting them from the cop hating fools who will threaten them also if they cannot find a cop to harm. You are doing probably the majority in that community a serious injustice if you believe they all hate cops. You may be trying to make a racial statement which if you want to be recognized as a health care professional, that should not enter your mind and stereotype a whole community.

Yesterday in Oakland, one man shot 5 Police Officers, killing 3 of them. It would have been the perfect time for others who hated cops to kill a few more. The whole community could have easily have killed another 5 or 6 more cops. But they didn't and they are grieving for this tragic lost just like other good folks in that city and the state.

So no there is very little you are going to show me that I haven't seen after years of riots and cop killings. But, as a medical professional I see many more people who live in violent neighborhoods that appreciate LEOs and EMS than those that don't. Even when I worked for a prison, not all the inmates hated cops.

It is sad when one becomes so jaded in their views when they are just starting out.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
I thought linus refered to people dont get what we or cops do?

That would imply that EMS knows what it is doing and that may not be the case in every area.

We can not figure out who should provide it or how.

EMS gives out quick fix certs to satisfy those who don't want to spend a few hundred hours training to be a Paramedics unless they want to be a FF.
EMS has over 50 different certs and licenses in the states not counting all the specialty patches.
EMS doesn't know whether ALS or BLS is better for a community. A person may venture across the street from their residence that is covered by ALS and be on the side that only has BLS when they need an ambulance.
EMS has states that fail to discipline those in the profession that should be. We have lax oversight.
EMS doesn't have consistent QA.
EMS doesn't always require competency even for valued skills.
EMS usually promotes on the buddy system.
EMS rarely promotes more education beyond the initial hours of training or mandatory CEUs.

Except for the location of the work area, I honestly can not see LEOs wanting to believe EMS and LE are so much alike.

XxBigBrotherxX

Forum Crew Member
What makes you think they have no valid reason?...You was obviously raised in a closet and with a silver spoon in your mouth. Because im from the Bronx NY and cops are not the nicest people to run into. Especially when their bored. Im speaking from experience..maybe you should start speaking from experience and stop repeating things you heard or saw on television. Even though ALOT of cops have done me wrong i try not to let it bother me. Please dont be a fool and think that all cops are great caring people...because they are not. There are crooked evil cops out there who abuse their power and make all cops look bad.

OP
OP
Shishkabob

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
What makes you think they have no valid reason?...You was obviously raised in a closet and with a silver spoon in your mouth. Because im from the Bronx NY and cops are not the nicest people to run into. Especially when their bored. Im speaking from experience..maybe you should start speaking from experience and stop repeating things you heard or saw on television. Even though ALOT of cops have done me wrong i try not to let it bother me. Please dont be a fool and think that all cops are great caring people...because they are not. There are crooked evil cops out there who abuse their power and make all cops look bad.

Wait wait wait wait, I'm not speaking from experience? Hello, I posted already that I know many LEO's personally and many more professionally.

YOU sir, are the type of person I'm speaking of. You think that just because you've had bad experiences with cops that ALL cops must be bad, and that anyone who views them as good is wrong.

YOU sir, are the type of person I detest. You hate all of a profession because YOU have had bad experiences. Mind detailing your experiences with them? My money is on the fact that each and every experience you've had, you were breaking a law.

I have yet to meet a single cop, or hell, even see one on the news, that goes "I don't like the look of that kid, let's go ruin his day." Fact is, if you were a law abiding citizen, you wouldn't have any problems with police.

I was watching cops last week, and they were arresting this lady for having a crap load of methamphetamine in her purse. You know what she said? "I love firefighters and paramedics, but I hate cops. They ruin peoples lives" News flash, you ruined your life by doing something illegal, the police are only there to make sure any damage you do gets minimized.

SO back to your question; What makes me think they don't have a valid reason?

Because I have yet to get one! IF I hear someone say "I hate police" and I ask why, it's usually the same crap "oh they are jerks" or "they wrote me tickets". Grow up.

Status
Not open for further replies.