Ya'll remember my whacker student thread that I ended up not posting

Hockey

Quackers
http://www.emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=13162

Well had a few more requests in the past couple days and since I'm no longer with the agency nor will I ever associate myself with this company again I'll post it

Call goes out about 930 tonight for a "overdose"

Arriving on scene at the apartment complex I notice we are getting waived down (you know the base coaches in baseball waiving a player onto home, yeah that was him) by a younger male holding a bright green fluorescent vest. I figure whatever and follow him as he's running back to the apartment door. I figured oh this is probably serious maybe.

We get out of the rig and he starts off with "BP ###/## (I don't recall whatever he said) pulse ##, Lung sounds clear and something" and he rattled on and on. I'm like uh...okay...

We get inside the apartment and it is HOTTER then hell in there.

18 year old kid sitting on the bed appears to be perfectly fine. I ask whats going on and the other kid bumps in and says well he took 5 ibuprofen and 2 adderall. I ask when and I directed it to the actual patient. Other kid steps in and says about 0600. I confirm it with the patient.

So of course I asked why did he call for an ambulance since its now 930 at night. The friend goes well my Dad is a RN at such and such hospital and I am an EMT student and he feels warm to the touch and since I know what I'm doing here I am going to speak for him and he needs to go xx hospital immediately. All while lighting up a cigarette. I tell him to put it out and get out of the room. He kind of throws a fit and asks why we didn't bring the stretcher up the stairs and I ignore him.

The patient is looking at me clueless like whatever he says I'll go. The "EMT Student" walked into the room again and says "feel him! he's all hot to the touch!". Sheriff Dep on scene responds with "No :censored::censored::censored::censored:, its 90 degrees in here"

Kid continue pressing on that something is wrong with him and we have to take him!

The kid brings in an automatic blood pressure cuff with his jump bag and says let me take another one before you leave. By this time I'm losing it with him and tell him to get out NOW.

I ask the kid if he can walk and he jumps up and says "lets go!" Out the door before I can even say anything! The kid started giving us crap for making him walk blah blah blah. I told him nicely to shut his mouth and go back into his room.

We get into the ambulance we get cleared by ALS to go basic. We already have a basic student and my partner is a non driver and a new guy too. I look over and this kid is hopping into the back of the rig and shuts the doors! I open the back door and in the nicest tone I said get out now. He tells me no, and I tell him he has to the count of 3 to get out or he'll be arrested. Jumps out and started getting on my case and telling me he is going to report me to his EMT teacher and get my license reviewed. I got his name and turns out this kid is 17 years old. I instructed him that if I ever see him on a scene again trying to play EMT or anything, I will be sure he NEVER makes it through the class.

The friend apologized when we got to the hospital and said he's always like this. I told the friend that he needs to not listen to him and if he felt fine there was no need to go to the hospital. He agreed :rolleyes:
The kid is in FTPRO's class so thats why I took out the information

With a certain someones posts in here recently, I thought maybe this kid did join :lol:

Enjoy :)

Last edited by a moderator:

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Oh Lordy-Lordy!

Mucnhausen by EMT.

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
You were a lot nicer than I would have been.

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
Wow, can i have some of your patience please.. I would have had the LEO's remove him.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
Darn near got fired once for handing a fake leg to a 3rd rider on a fender bender. It was one of those 4 corner calls where 2 cities show up at once giving the apearance of a huge scene. All I did was ask him to "take this to the other crew, they're going to need it." The poor kid got so spooked it took 10 minutes to get blood back in his face. He quit his class and left EMS. It was just a halloween prank...holy moly!

The Sup nearly fired me but he couldn't...he was fighting back a laugh. I haven't repeated it with a 1st time 3rd rider again and don't suggest it. Kinda felt bad.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Darn near got fired once for handing a fake leg to a 3rd rider on a fender bender. It was one of those 4 corner calls where 2 cities show up at once giving the apearance of a huge scene. All I did was ask him to "take this to the other crew, they're going to need it." The poor kid got so spooked it took 10 minutes to get blood back in his face. He quit his class and left EMS. It was just a halloween prank...holy moly!

The Sup nearly fired me but he couldn't...he was fighting back a laugh. I haven't repeated it with a 1st time 3rd rider again and don't suggest it. Kinda felt bad.

xD Nothing wrong with handing a student a fake leg! They might have to pick up the real one pretty soon! You did the kid a favor. Imagine how he would have reacted if it was a *real* leg!

Sail195

Forum Lieutenant
xD Nothing wrong with handing a student a fake leg! They might have to pick up the real one pretty soon! You did the kid a favor. Imagine how he would have reacted if it was a *real* leg!

I tend to agree too.... my first ride along ever we had 46 y/o code and eventually got called at the hospital... they let me switch off between compressions and bagging all the way to the hospital... although it was very sad to know that I just watched someone die in front of me and to see the family (she had a 14y/o son) I knew after that, that this is what I wanted too do.... I had a friend in a similar situation that didnt even test after seeing what he did....

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Wow OP you have a lot more patience than I would have had with that kid, kudos to you lol.

As for the fake leg, I have to agree that you did the kid a favor, he would have gotten out eventually anyways after he saw a real mangled body part, better now then later. Like sail I had a code on my first ride where I got to do compressions, after that I was hooked.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
The Sup nearly fired me but he couldn't...he was fighting back a laugh. I haven't repeated it with a "1st time 3rd rider" again and don't suggest it. Kinda felt bad.[/QUOTE]

Notice I didn't say I haven't pulled a prank again? Just not with a 1st time rider. :rolleyes: Humor is our emotional lifeline when used in the right context.

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
Fixed that for ya. ;)

but with my luck, he would become a patient. Than I would have to deal with him. lol
or i could just call in a second unit...hmm who do i dislike that i work with ;)

timmy84

Forum Crew Member
I find the whole situation very creepy. You can almost see the kid poisoning his friend to get the ambulance there again. My impression is borderline personality disorder.

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
He's a Super-EMT-Student!!! Was mid-way through his 120 (or more) hours and was smarter than everyone else and was raring to save the day. I would have had him arrested! Great thing about responding to SAR calls... you get a Deputy on every call... comes in handy to have a well-armed cop handy...