Wrong fit?

Zredmond

Forum Probie
Out of curiosity, does anyone else see people getting into this field, that they know do not belong. Especially if you know them on a personal level, and they have a quality about them that isn't suited for the high intensity and importance of this job. Whether it be ego, or laxidasical attitude towards the subject. This field literally can be a fine line between life and death. Maybe I'm too opinionated, but I don't want some people taking my baby who stops breathing.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
Out of curiosity, does anyone else see people getting into this field, that they know do not belong. Especially if you know them on a personal level, and they have a quality about them that isn't suited for the high intensity and importance of this job. Whether it be ego, or laxidasical attitude towards the subject. This field literally can be a fine line between life and death. Maybe I'm too opinionated, but I don't want some people taking my baby who stops breathing.

There are people in every career field that should not be there. We rarely see life and death situations, so hopefully if you ever need one, you don't get the bonehead.

Last edited:

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I feel like a lot of us look at half of our co-workers and think "God, I feel sorry for his/her patients." We all have our own thing that we like and dislike, which makes it seem like a lot of people are or aren't suited for this job. Some people will be really good with the skills, but bomb with the book stuff. Others are knowledgeable and skilled, but show up to calls with their shirts untucked and call the patients "bro". Some use 12-leads practically only on chest pain calls while other do 12-leads for stubbed toes. Some prefer manual blood pressure to NIBP by machine.

I feel like most people can do this job. There isn't really a lot to it. I do believe people are gonna do things differently from the way I like whether they do too much or too little, but I try to keep an open mind.

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
I've definitely come across a few that I wonder why they continue doing something same thing either a) they suck wicked bad at, or b) they seem to not enjoy it at all.

But as @Chewy20 said this is true for all industries.

medicaltransient

Forum Lieutenant
Just firefighters who don't want to do it in the first place. Anyone else who legitimately shows interest in EMS I will treat with respect and help them in what ever way I can.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Of course. There are wrong people that have been employed in every job. Not just EMS. The bigger problem is getting rid of someone you realize isn't a good fit after you hire them. It's not easy. Documentation or not...

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
Just firefighters who don't want to do it in the first place. Anyone else who legitimately shows interest in EMS I will treat with respect and help them in what ever way I can.
Some FFs feel this way, sure.
I would not agree if you say this is the norm. While most are not necessarily passionate about non-emergent medicals, this is part of our job and it is generally embraced as such.

Uclabruin103

Forum Lieutenant
For every FF that couldn't care less about about a patient, I've met one private medic with the same attitude. This hate has got to stop. Same team bro.

k9Dog

Forum Crew Member
Remember most firefighters spent years as EMTs and medics, years sitting in private ambulances. Not all hate ems, many just wanted a better paying career with retirement. Some didn't even have the "fire boner" but moved on because there's not much future in private ems.. Sitting in an ambulance at 50 years old sucks.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Remember most firefighters spent years as EMTs and medics, years sitting in private ambulances. Not all hate ems, many just wanted a better paying career with retirement. Some didn't even have the "fire boner" but moved on because there's not much future in private ems.. Sitting in an ambulance at 50 years old sucks.
This is fantastic.
Thank you for the chuckle.
True story.