Would it be possible to work in another state if?

Nankuronaisa

Forum Ride Along
I have a current situation. I haven't worked in an ambulance for quite some time now ( about 6 months), due to my immaturity. I'll tell what happened first. I was working as an er tech at the er and I saw some EMT students. I told one to go get vitals from the room next door. They went in and the person was dead. It was a mean trick, I did apologize, because it is done to alot of us. I know when I was doing clinicals for my basic the staff pranked me twice, but I didn't think anything of it.

Well the student was so shocked about the dead body, and went to the directors. Fast forward to> I apologized and got dismissed from the job. They informed my other employer and I've been on administrative leave. They stated that the state department of health services was going to investigate the incident. My employer told me that while I'm being investigated I can't work.

I was told by the director and my employer that I should be contacted promptly. Well 6 months later, I never received a call from the state. I've called to inquire to see if an investigation was open on me to find out if everything was a fabrication. No one knows anything apparently, but maybe they just can't disclose it over the phone.

I was wondering if I got a state license in the next state, or if I moved to another state and applied for the license would I be able to work in another state. Of course I will let my employer know of the situation as well. There's no point in not telling them, if there really is an investigation they will find out eventually. I just want to get back into the truck, I'm kind of tired of what I'm doing now.

8jimi8

CFRN
Pretty funny, Huh? NOT

This is life and death. You want somebody playing a joke like that when it's your family member?

Maybe you should sit out for a few more years until you grow up?

I'm not apologizing for my harsh tone, just sad someone had to deal with that.

sorry, unwilling to offer any advice on how to fix this situation.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
What the hell is wrong with you?

Go far, far, far, away and never come back.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
What the hell is wrong with you?

Go far, far, far, away and never come back.

Short, sweet, and to the point. Again I must agree with Brown

There are so many EMTs out there, why would a service want to take a chance with someone who is apparently not mature enough to work in the field?

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Your professional ethics and personal morals that caused the incident need some work. However that student is going to have to deal with seeing dead bodies on a regular basis.
I am not sure who you called but I would call your state EMS office and get more information on who you need to speak with to figure this out.
Also are you NREMT? If you are this will help a lot when moving.

PS: Also if your in a union at the hospital or on the ambulance contact them asap!

Last edited by a moderator:

John E

Forum Captain
Nonsense...

all you "holier than thou" types are hilarious.

One stupid practical joke and the original poster should what, be banned from EMS for life? Why not make them shave their head and do some penance while you're at it?

Sounds to me like you've paid a pretty heavy price for a pretty harmless albeit, stupid prank. It also sounds like someone lied to you about the so called "state investigation".

You have a right to know if the state is actually investigating you, I find it hard to believe that they are or that it would take 6 months to do so.

If it's really so bad that you think you need to leave your state to work, I'd be looking at filing my own complaint for excessive punishment for what amounts to a med student type of practical joke. Wonder what the authorities would have done if the EMT student had brought back some vital signs?

The people condemning you have of course never done anything untoward in their own lives.

You apologized, you lost your job, time to move on and learn from your experience. Don't do anything like that again and whatever you do, don't ever come to EMT Life and tell the truth about something you regret having done lest the hypocrites condemn you.

John E

OP
OP
N

Nankuronaisa

Forum Ride Along
It was the state EMS office. To all those with harsh comments, I understand that what I did was wrong, but guess what we all make mistakes. We're only human, we make mistakes to learn from them. No point in feeding the trolls though so I'll end it there.

Yes I am NREMT and State certified. Yes it isn't ethical, but alot of you should understand that it is something that is commonly done. It was done a number of times to my class, we just didn't really bother with it. I shouldn't have done it in the first place, but its too late now. All I can do is try to move forward, which is what I'm trying to do.

OP
OP
N

Nankuronaisa

Forum Ride Along

One stupid practical joke and the original poster should what, be banned from EMS for life? Why not make them shave their head and do some penance while you're at it?

Sounds to me like you've paid a pretty heavy price for a pretty harmless albeit, stupid prank. It also sounds like someone lied to you about the so called "state investigation".

You have a right to know if the state is actually investigating you, I find it hard to believe that they are or that it would take 6 months to do so.

If it's really so bad that you think you need to leave your state to work, I'd be looking at filing my own complaint for excessive punishment for what amounts to a med student type of practical joke. Wonder what the authorities would have done if the EMT student had brought back some vital signs?

The people condemning you have of course never done anything untoward in their own lives.

You apologized, you lost your job, time to move on and learn from your experience. Don't do anything like that again and whatever you do, don't ever come to EMT Life and tell the truth about something you regret having done lest the hypocrites condemn you.

John E

I appreciate your words. I really don't let what people say bother me so I'm not too worried. Everyone around me knows I'm a bright person with a future, so they aren't worried about me. It's just I make mistakes and I learn from them, just like you said. I take the good with the bad, but at least I'm trying to make progress moving forward.

FLEMTP

Forum Captain
Actually not only was it not ethical.. it may have been criminal depending on the state you reside or work in....

Many states have laws on the books regarding the abuse or public exhibition of the deceased.

I would be thanking my lucky stars that its just an investigation into your EMS license... and not a criminal investigation!

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Where has all the Affective Domain teaching gone? Are EMT instructors not talking about professional ethics?
With all of that said, pick yourself up, and move on. If that means going to another state, thats fine. Do not be deceptive about your history, and you should not have a problem.

Perhaps another field or career is in the works for you, at least while waiting to hear from DPH?

joeshmoe

Forum Lieutenant
A prank involving using a recently deceased person as a prop might give people reason to question the jokesters moral fitness. The excuse that other people are doing it doesnt really fly, this isnt high school.

If its true that this was a common practice, seems to me a good way to nip the practice in the bud is to make an example of someone. I guess that someone is you.

EMS is an overcrowded field as it is.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
I would agree you made a mistake. Learn from it and move on.

On a side note some of the most twisted people I know work in the medical field and it includes doctors and nurses.

OP
OP
N

Nankuronaisa

Forum Ride Along
Right now I'm not working in the emt field in my state. What I'm trying to figure is if I'm able to work in another state would it be an issue. Alot of people including those in the ems field that I know, thinks its bull:censored::censored::censored::censored: what is happening to me, but it is. I'm just trying to work as an emt again.

I'm just trying to see if it would be an issue to try to work in another state. The EMS Field is also supposed to be a very forgiving field as well.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief

John E

Gotta agree with you on this one. Goof prank got him smacked hard, as well it was possibly deserved. Fact is, it isn't the worst prank in the world and shouldn't be taken as such. I think making a student do endless CPR on an obvious dead and calling it "practice" is unecessary abuse of a body yet, that's done everyday. OP has paid the price for his/her momentary ignorance. I have no sympathy for the poor, poor student....whaaaa<_<

8jimi8

CFRN
Let me ask your question this way.

It is obviously a problem for me to work as an EMT in my state, hmmm... will it be a problem if i go to another state?

I apologize if my absolute abhorrence of your prank resulted in words that made you feel uncomfortable. Let me try to say it without being mean. Grow up. Take a few years off and come back. Maybe you should do some volunteer work, so that when someone looks at your application and asks you why you stopped working in EMS, you can tell them and show them with your actions that you are ready to be a professional, trusted with honoring the people in your charge. Remember, we are advocates... we PROTECT those we care for. We don't exploit them.

To whomever thinks that it's a harmless prank, how would you feel if that was your parent there? Your child? Your spouse? Because I guarantee that person in that room was in one of those categories.

Sure heard of tons of these types of pranks.

Tell me something... if we hold one thing sacred in this entire existence...

can it be life?

EMS is supposed to be the domain of professionals who give dignity and honor to those in their worst moments, or in their last.

please post up and tell me how wrong i am.

joeshmoe

Forum Lieutenant
Moral implications aside, how stupid was it to pull this prank on some random EMT student you had never met before, and therefore had no idea how they would react. It wasnt like this was a coworker, or some student the OP was familiar with.

That was pretty ballsy, and obviously had the potential to backfire. The OP either didnt have the judgement to realize that, or apparently likes taking risks with their job, at least until the consequences of that risk became clear.

I agree with others, go the volunteer route for a while. As for having to work outside of EMS, boohoo. Many of us did it for years, I've worked all kinds of jobs I hated for years before i got the opportunity to do what I wanted. I see working in EMS as a priveledge, lots of people who do dont know how lucky they have it. If you ever start working in EMS again that will be another lesson you learned.

Pneumothorax

Forum Lieutenant
thats pretty effed up.

if that was my family member and i saw u running in and out of the room(knowing that person has passed, id be pretty upset.

ya ,i get that it was a "prank" and people make "mistakes"..but sometimes people dont get second chances.

if a cop pulled his gun and shot someone you knew by "accident"... im pretty sure you'd have his head on a chopping block.

Level1pedstech

Forum Captain
I have been in the ER for six years and have never seen or heard of such a stunt,what were you thinking?. We get pretty wild but there is a line that needs to be respected. I will refrain from passing judgement on the OP because there are other factors that need to be weighed in order to determine our friends future in EMS. Banned for life,come on guys that seems a bit on the harsh side. Having to explain himself when this issue comes up in the future is going to make this a mistake I'm sure will never happen again.

To those that look at this as a prank you must remember that some forum members are more impressionable than others and not treating this as a serious lack of good judgement only encourages bad behavior. We should not condone any pranks that could make us or the employer we represent look bad. There is a certain level of maturity one must show especially in the ER where family of this patient or others could have witnessed this behavior. When people ask about their ER rotations I am always quick to point out that you need to behave and show maturity no matter what your age. Its only with time on the job that you learn how far one can go without crossing the line.

medic417

The Truth Provider
The EMS Field is also supposed to be a very forgiving field as well.

Where is that written? I have never heard that.

Pursue EMS in the state where it occurred and if you are allowed to re-enter and remain in EMS then decide to move no problem. But if you flee trying to hide from it it will follow and haunt you. Very unprofessional and also may have violated laws in regards to how the deceased are handled.