Would a psych pt. that refuses to talk...

SC Bird

Forum Lieutenant
Would a psychiatric pt. who refuses to talk get a GCS of 10??

Eyes Open = 4 - Spontaneous

Motor = 6 - Obeys Commands

But Verbal = 0??

-Matt

princess

Forum Crew Member
Verbal, no response = 1

Then explain in your narrative why the pt is not responding; due to the fact that he/she refuses to talk rather than the inability to speak. You could even include that family members, etc. state he/she is normally able to speak and at this time is refusing.

OP
OP
SC Bird

SC Bird

Forum Lieutenant
I meant 1....;)

Thanks Princess....

-Matt

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Would a psychiatric pt. who refuses to talk get a GCS of 10??

Eyes Open = 4 - Spontaneous

Motor = 6 - Obeys Commands

But Verbal = 0??

-Matt

Right total, wrong way.

Motor = 5

If they're not talking to you, odds are they aren't going to cooperate and do what you tell/ask them to. ;)

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
That is the problem with using GCS on patients that have nothing neuro related... WHO CARES? I never understand why they think we are idiots to have to mark a GCS on a cardiac or COPD patient, not related to the call.

A dead person still has a three.....

R/r 911

DisasterMedTech

Forum Crew Member
The way I was taught, a psych patient doesnt get a GCS unless they are the way they are due to substance use or abuse or attempted suicide in a way that would affect mental status. I sometimes do first aide for a semi-pro baseball team and guys that get beaned with a fastball get a GCS, especially if it knocks them out for any length of time at all.

skyemt

Forum Captain
if it doesn't apply, who cares? agreeing with Rid on this one... putting a score down will either not be read, or be misinterpreted...

but i do understand that it is the policy of some agencies (including mine!) to fill in the box, lest someone think it was forgotten...

the solution is to write in the space for GCS "see note"... and in the narrative write that GCS does not apply, pt unwilling to speak, etc... or whatever you want to write...

that way, all your bases are covered....

OP
OP
SC Bird

SC Bird

Forum Lieutenant
Yeah....well as beginning students they want us to make a note of everything......EVERYTHING. Even if it is not as pertinent as other info.

Thanks for the answers....

-Matt

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Part of the education is to learn when it is appropriate. Foe example the cardiac call, that so happens the patient has a hx. of a CVA or r/t multiple medical problems. Yes, there are intertwining problems that may make the GCS applicable.

Yes, we have to fill in all boxes for us to be "compliant" with the state. Again, just a routine of doing the "whatever!"

R/r 911

BBFDMedic28

Forum Crew Member
In my protocols GCS is something that is obtained on every pt. Retarted and pointless on some calls? absolutely. But company says do it so we have to.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I think the protocol on 'every patient you must....' is done to eliminate the "should-I-shouldn't-I" dilemna on the borderline cases. We do it on Blood sugar. We test everyone that we transport. It's required by the Emergency Room we transport to.