Worst Call

coloradoemt

Forum Asst. Chief
A couple of days ago I had a Fire Explorer, youth fire fighter program, on my rig. She asked me what my worst call ever was. I did not have an answer. Unfortunately now I do. I will assume most of you are like me in that kid calls usually suck. The abuse calls are terrible. I ran on a 21 month old yesterday who had been stabbed. She was being watched by her Grandma, "alledged" murderer, who instead of helping her grandchild, she was "alledgedly crying and would not stop, stabbed her with full force, to death with a kitchen knife. My guess is she waited approx. 15-20 minutes before calling 911. I hope to God that all of you will never have to deal with this kind of incident ever. I do not even know how to relay my thoughts and feelings about this.

I have been doing this awhile and do not have much of a problem getting over or through certain calls of massive intensity. This one is going to take some time. I hope all of you are safe this day, and take some time to give your kids an extra long hug today.

You can all look at the link or video here, http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_3165560

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
That's horrible. :( I'm sorry you had to witness that, and I feel horrible for the parents and that innocent little child.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
have been doing this awhile and do not have much of a problem getting over or through certain calls of massive intensity. This one is going to take some time.

It is almost good that it will take some time to heal..... it means you still care.

I'd be worried if you didn't seem shaken over it.

As for getting over it: If you have a CISM resource, PERHAPS you should use it... that is up to you, and there is some real debate on how much CISM helps.

Feel Better, and if you want to talk, we are all here for you. If you don't want to talk, we are STILL all here supporting you.

Jon

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by rescuecpt@Oct 30 2005, 02:41 PM
That's horrible. :( I'm sorry you had to witness that, and I feel horrible for the parents and that innocent little child.
Ditto.

Take care CO and remember we're always here if you need us.

Chimp

CaptainPanic

Former EMT...
Im a bit shaken up just reading it. I have a 25 month old, so it does hit home for me in a sense. :eek:

I just hope the alleged murder, oh exscuse me, grandmother, dies in a cold dark empty cell for this.

CO, feel free to vent if you need to, we'll listen. :)

My condolences and sympathies goes out to the family of the child and those affected by this. :(

-CP

Rangat

Forum Lieutenant
I feel that kind of thing is the bottom of evil. Killing the innocent. :angry:

The pure rawness of wrong doing sometimes gets to the person doing good work here on earth. Like a friend of mine who was at a 9mnth baby rape scene. :unsure:

I read the cops are going for counceling, you should too if not already.

God bless

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
This type of thing just infuriates me.

CO, like everyone has said, but I don't think you can hear enough, we are all here for you. I may not be out there in the field, but I've been through some nasty times in my life, and am more than happy to be a venting conduit (that goes for everyone).

Seek the help if you need it, and if you don't, you have us. It'll take time, but we're here all the time anyway...you've always got us!

OP
OP
coloradoemt

coloradoemt

Forum Asst. Chief
I want to thank all of you for your offer of help. I would take you all up on it but I still do not know exactly what to say. Plus there is a gag order on the whole thing while they finish investigating. I did go through a CISM the day of, but it did not help me feel any better. I can say this, I was in my mind, responding to an accidental stabbing of a 1 year old. My partner and I were prepared to scoop and go and haul *** to the hospital. I was not in any way shape or form prepared for what I did see. I went there to save a little one not show up and protect a crime scene. It was so bad this little ones left arm was practically severed... Anyway, thanks again all of you.

Here is an update link if any of you are interested.

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_3169440

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
may a special place in hell await those that would do such hideous acts
~S~

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
I did cpr on my son who passed away from SIDS.

I've been to calls where a mother shot three of her children to death, but none before and none after will outlive the memory working on my own child.

planedude86

Forum Ride Along
Those bad calls make you want to run home and see your family.

I unfortunately saw one of the "stereotypical" bad calls. Lady put a pistol under her chin and pulled the trigger. Her face came off, but she was trying to breathe. The bubbles showed us.

A seattle medic friend of mine went on a call that still haunts him. Two small kids were playing in the garage with gasoline, which later somehow ignited. These little boys sustained widespread third-degree burns. Upon arrival, much of their skin was rolled off onto the ground.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Originally posted by Stevo@Oct 31 2005, 05:29 PM
may a special place in hell await those that would do such hideous acts
~S~
Yep.