Working with SZ hx?

cfrench

Forum Crew Member
I know an EMT who may have a new onset seizure disorder. Too early for sure dx but he is on a no driving restriction from the ER doc who checked him the day of the incident. He has a neuro consult on Monday but my question is whether or not there are people working out there in EMS with a controlled SZ disorder hx and what was involved in getting cleared to return to thier careers? I am looking for facts and personal experiences. You may PM me if you wish

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
In Florida, you have to be seizure free for 5 years to be eligible to drive an emergency vehicle.

It is a good rule and why would you risk yourself, partner or patient simply because you think you are fine?

There are many careers for paramedics and even basics in non traditional roles which do not involve driving.

reaper

Working Bum
As stated, Must go for certain time seizure free.

Tell him to go to medic school, during this time. He may be able to work EMS as a medic, but never drive.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Ditto.... Most insurance companies will require a minimum of three years seizure free.

R/r 911

reaper

Working Bum
Hope everything turns out for the best for him. We will keep him in our thoughts.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I know of several who are dealing with this issue. One gal just passed her seizure free time and is recerting as an EMT. The other is currently in Medic school and has been seizure free for some years. There was an EMT-P/FF who lost her job after found actively seizing on the floor of the bay on the way back from a call.