Working in multiple states

danib77

Forum Probie
Hi there,

I'm an EMT-B in PA and looking into getting my NREMT. I may be moving to DE (which I know I need NREMT to volunteer/work there) but wanted to know how or if there is a way I can keep my PA certification and then have NREMT and DE certifications as well.

Thanks!!
Dani

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Yes. JYou don't have to surrender state certs. At one time I was a NREMT-I/85., TX EMT-I, CO EMT-B, and NM EMT-I. Now I'm a Texas EMT-I, NREMT-P, and NM EMT-P... Oh, and ME, NH, and MA EMT-P

epipusher

Forum Asst. Chief
Agreed. I hold certs and currently work in two different states. I work in whatever state my wife may be currently working .

Btalon

Forum Probie
I'm dual licensed in NH and VT, VT recognizes the NH license, but to be licensed you have to be employed by an agency in that state and they sign off on you to get licensed. I'm not sure how it works where you are, but one might lapse if you don't work there after the expiration date.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I'm dual licensed in NH and VT, VT recognizes the NH license, but to be licensed you have to be employed by an agency in that state and they sign off on you to get licensed. I'm not sure how it works where you are, but one might lapse if you don't work there after the expiration date.

Most states actually don't have that requirement. The northeast and states like Indiana and Wyoming are some of the only ones I've seen like that. Oh and Washington state

CFal

Forum Captain
I'm Maine and Mass licensed and will soon be Rhode Island licensed and Vermont licensed.

frdude1000

Forum Captain
I hold Maryland EMT-B and Georgia Advanced EMT. Too bad MD isn't going with the new scope of practice levels completely, as they aren't adopting AEMT.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
yes

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Contact your destination state's licensing people and their EMSA for information. Do it ASAP, even before you are certain you are moving. See about costs, delays.